nofearonlyheart

On a scale of 1-10

On a scale of 1-10.....10 being the worst and 1 being the least amount

1.How stressful was the month leading up to surgery?

2. How stressful was the first month after surgery?

3. How painful was your first couple days after surgery?

Also did you face any depression after the wls surgery?

Here's my rankings:

1.  4 or 5

2.  2 or 3

3.  5 or 6

Of course, everyone's experience is different, but that is how I remember it.

1.How stressful was the month leading up to surgery?  1

2. How stressful was the first month after surgery?       2

3. How painful was your first couple days after surgery?   3

Also did you face any depression after the wls surgery?    no

Stress isn't really something that is in my nature.  I am a pretty calm and collected person.   My only real pain was from gas, not the actual surgery.   Once that lessened and pass, I found everything else to be wholly tolerable albeit annoying and I would be reminded I had surgery for a good 5-6 weeks.

1.How stressful was the month leading up to surgery?  2 or 3
2. How stressful was the first month after surgery?  4-6 depending on what I was trying to consume and whether I thought I was hungry or not.  
3. How painful was your first couple days after surgery? 4-5; they kept me medicated.  I was in the hospital two days, and I didn't take anything for pain after leaving the hospital.

I had a mild case of "buyer's remorse" when I first got home, but I do that after every major decision in my life (that's tough to explain to your new husband on your honeymoon).  I wasn't depressed, I was just mopey if that makes any sense.

ZERO pain

ZERO hunger

Anxiety -  only while butt naked in pre-op and decided that maybe i would stay FAT.   My friend was holding my clothes and told me to buck up and do it!!

1.How stressful was the month leading up to surgery? 1. i just wanted to get it over with.
2. How stressful was the first month after surgery? like a 3. i enjoyed the holidays and my birthday. it was only stressful when i had to go back to work!
3. How painful was your first couple days after surgery? 6-7. i mean, i was definitely uncomfortable, but nothing that couldn't be handled with tons of codeine.

i'm not sure if this is fair to ask me, seeing as though i suffer from clinical depression and anxiety. so i mean... that's a given. i'm depressed about a lot of things. but i can say that my depression has improved since surgery. a lot of the things that kept me down can be contributed to the excess weight. i still have pretty bad days... but i can tolerate them better now.

1.How stressful was the month leading up to surgery? 2
2. How stressful was the first month after surgery? 2 (I enjoyed the free time at home).
3. How painful was your first couple days after surgery? 4 (but ti got a lot better)

Also did you face any depression after the wls surgery? No.

1.How stressful was the month leading up to surgery?  1
2. How stressful was the first month after surgery?  1
3. How painful was your first couple days after surgery?  2

Also did you face any depression after the wls surgery?  NO

I have had an incredibly easy recovery.

No depression, but I did have some anger issues ... everything seemed to piss me off.

Edited by Sleevarilla

1.How stressful was the month leading up to surgery? 5
2. How stressful was the first month after surgery? 5
3. How painful was your first couple days after surgery? 1

2 (more stressful getting things in order to be off work than the surgery itself)

1 (only because I couldn't rate post-op stress a zero; it was so nice spending some time at home)

2 (I did have some pain in  the hospital, but it was manageable; I never even took a pain pill once I got home)

ETA: I have a history of episodic/situational depression and take an antidepressant. My mood was great after surgery.

Edited by WendyH

1.How stressful was the month leading up to surgery? It wasn't, really - but that's not to dismiss the pre-op stage. I didn't find the pre-op diet and prep too difficult, but others do. YMMV.

2. How stressful was the first month after surgery? I'm only five days post-op; I'll let you know. Keep in mind that my stressors aren't yours, and vice versa, or anyone else's.

3. How painful was your first couple days after surgery? It's not pain but discomfort - all that gas they pump in pushes against the diaphragm. When that went away, I have felt much better.

Also did you face any depression after the wls surgery? Too soon to tell. I'll let you know. But I have post-op sessions with a counselor in place to cover my butt. My first is tomorrow, Day 6 post-op.

1.How stressful was the month leading up to surgery? 

2. How stressful was the first month after surgery?

3. How painful was your first couple days after surgery?

1. 2

2. 2

3. 9 

No depression after anxiety. In fact, I stopped taking one anti-depressant and weaned off the other 7 months later. Everybody's experience, as you can see, is different.

1. 2

2. 2

3. 2

like Jolls, I'm just not a stressful person.  Once I made up my mind and researched the procedure, I was comfortable with my decision and rolled with the punches.  Never got worked up over any of the diet restrictions or stalls or anything else that's normal for VSG.  I was super stressed the 24 hours before my surgery, though.  My flight was cancelled due to a snowstorm and I had to drive 5 hours to an airport in another state and fly standby on the last flight into San Diego.  I literally arrive in TJ a couple hours before my surgery.  I was very much looking forward to going under at that point.

Post op I had no pain, maybe a slight crampy feeling. ...went shopping the next day and never took any pain meds.

As for depression, absolutely none after VSG.  Never felt better in my life.  Until my best friend committed suicide 5 months ago.  Don't know that I'll ever crawl out of this misery.  I'm seeing a counselor for the first time in my life and just started taking Meds.  But it has nothing to do with surgery.

Edited by ThinCVT

1.How stressful was the month leading up to surgery?   1
2. How stressful was the first month after surgery?         9   --> I had complications (a leak three weeks out)
3. How painful was your first couple days after surgery?  4

Also did you face any depression after the wls surgery?   no

1. 8 or 9  - I was terrified. Every single day I thought about backing out. I didn't do well on the pre-liquid only diet.
2. 3 - 4 - post op was FAR easier than I anticipated.
3. Day two post op was bad but the hospital had trouble getting my pain under control after they took me off the morphine. Once that was resolved, my pain wasn't bad. I took my pain meds when I was supposed to and it was fairy easy.

No depression. I was angry and irritable for the first 3 weeks but I think that was mainly the hormones coming out of my fat cells as I was losing. 

I wasn't depressed but I sure had some weird days of being really emotional. I was weepy, angry, and a even a little remorseful about my decision.  All that was brief and I think it was my body figuring out what the heck was going on.  It was like some mega PMS. 

Edited by Raeme

1.How stressful was the month leading up to surgery? A 5? Mainly because the practice sucked and I was having trouble getting needed appointments for pre-op testing done. 

2. How stressful was the first month after surgery? A 10, but I was in the hospital every day for massive complications. The eating and drinking part was a breeze

3. How painful was your first couple days after surgery? 6 or so? I had mine done open so a 12 in incision and 6+ dozen staples and drains.

Also did you face any depression after the wls surgery? Yes from my infections and open wound, not the WLS it's self-that part was easy 

1.How stressful was the month leading up to surgery?  2

2. How stressful was the first month after surgery? 7

3. How painful was your first couple days after surgery? 7