Big Opie

Help, since my Dr wont

If you have been following me, you know how much crap I've been put through by my surgeons medical staff and insurance coordinator. They called me and stated they switched my surgery from the sleeve to the bypass. (which it should have been bypass to begin with), now I'm being told insurance approved the sleeve not the bypass...and they're waiting on insurance right now. When I asked about a pre-op diet, she told me to ask my surgeon on October 8th....Which is 4 days before surgery..... -_- a lot of people are supposed to go on a liquid diet for 2-4 weeks prior to surgery and since the office wont let me know wither or not I should be doing it, I'm going to be doing it myself, because it's better to be safe then sorry. 

So, I am reaching out to you amazing knowledgeable people for assistance. If you have a list of things that your doctor gave you, drop a picture in the comments. I'm going to do it for probably 3-4 weeks...which means starting on Thursday since my surgery will be 4 weeks away on the 10th. 

Please help since my doctor wont

My surgeon didn't require a liquid diet. I just didn't eat after 10:00 the night before my surgery. Everything went just fine! Every doctor will have their own guidelines so just follow what they tell you.

I had a protein shake for breakfast and lunch and an all protein dinner.

I was required to lose weight during our pre-surgery info classes - and keep it off prior to surgery but my surgeon didn't require a liquid pre-op diet .  That doesn't mean you can't do one if you want to.

I had to do liquids for 2 weeks. I could have up to 5 protein shakes a day, soup and jello. Twice during the 2 weeks I could have a meal which consisted of 4 oz of meat and 1 cup of vegetables.

3 weeks of protein shakes and a high protein, low carb dinner. Clear liquids 24 hours before surgery. Nothing by mouth after midnight the day before surgery.

Two weeks of 4-5 liquid protein shakes from bariatric advantage a day and sugar free liquids but no soda. Had to be that protein drink.

No diet here except clear liquids the day before.

No diet here either, except for liquids the day before surgery. Edit: No liquid. Had to lose 5% of weight in time leading up to surgery.

Edited by BrigidD

Ditto, no liquid diet. However I did have a two week high protein reduced carbohydrate diet then nothing after midnight before surgery.

My doctor put me on the Atkins Phase 1 from Wed to Saturday and then Sunday to Tues liquid protein shakes and broth and surgery on Wed.  During this week, I lost 6 pounds as per my home scale from 208.8 to 202.8.  Helped a little.

Liquids only the day prior to surgery.  The doctor wanted me to lose 20lbs prior to surgery to shrink my liver and make surgery safer.  I did four 100 calorie shakes, and 1 Healthy Choice brand frozen meal for dinner.  I managed to lose 25lbs in 6 weeks.

I had to do a very low cal diet for 2 weeks before surgery. It was 800 cals a day and low carb, about 40g of carbs a day. The aim was to reduce liver size. I was told not to eat later than 9pm the night before. My op was 4 pm the next day, they let me sip water until I went up.

Do you need a diet sheet or can you work out one yourself?

since my BMI was under 50, i was not required to do 2 weeks of liquid. my pre-surgery diet was 3 days - protein shake for breakfast, protein shake for lunch, 2 snacks of fruit only, and dinner was plain grilled chicken breast and a salad. i could have as much water and caffeine-free tea as i wanted. i was not allowed to have anything after 10pm the night before.

Edited by TheColdestAugust

I was only required to do a liquid diet 24 hrs prior to surgery. 

My surgeon had a two week liquid protein diet for high risk patients. I asked if there would be any harm in me doing it too, because I have a history of complicated surgeries and always want to do anything I can to make it easier for the surgeon if possible. He said it couldn't hurt, but that I didn't have to. I did anyway. Two weeks of protein shake for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and after dinner snack if I was still hungry. I drank tons of water, crystal light, and some greek yogurt in the beginning few days. I gained weight. I am a freak.

I would check with your insurance company regarding approving the sleeve but not the bypass.  I've never heard of that.  that's not to say it would never happen but it's mighty unusual.  unless there is a medical reason for the sleeve rather than the bypass the insurance company doesn't really care which bariatric surgery you have.  that is up to the surgeon.  what the insurance company approves is what is appropriately documented by your surgeon and what is a benefit of your plan. 

I was on liquid protein for one week, allowed a protein bar each day at lunch.  Nothing after midnight the night before surgery.

Can you call and speak with a nurse and not with the front office people witch in most clinics are total not to give out medical advice .a preop diet would fall under that category