AubreyInWonderland

No one gets me...So glad I have you folks!

Yes, I am new here! 

I have to tell you--- I feel like this is the ONLY place I can go and feel understood. Even my plus sized BFF's who have always been my go-to buds on this journey as a plus sized lady don't understand at all. It's hard to talk to them about how excited I am, about small victories I can't wait to see, how insurmountable my weight has felt, without feeling like I'm pointing out how "terrible" their life is because they are not on the same path (not really, I am exaggerating). In a year I will have this new lease on life and if they're anything like I would be without this tool, they will still be fighting this HUGE battle. I don't want to discourage them! And my thin friends won't understand either because they don't know what it's like to walk a mile in my shoes. I truly feel that only WLS patients will know where I'm coming from on this. You feel me?

My story: I am 35 years old, married with 3 sons. I have always been on the larger side but never really struggled with weight until I was 16 when I quit sports and began to focus on dating and eating really crummy foods since I was on my own at 17. I had a job at a pizza and burger joint where I got half-off food and that became most of my meals.... pretzel with nacho cheese for breakfast, burger or pizza for dinner. By the time I married my high school sweetheart at the age of 19 I weighed around 230 lbs. I was in a serious car accident that put me in a wheelchair for 6 months and still have limited mobility due to the old injury and my weight.  I get around just fine but it has been a really great excuse not to exercise  :lol:.   I have since steadily gone up in weight, maxing out at 280+ when pregnant with my youngest son who was born 9 years ago. I am currently bouncing between 260-275. In May 2013 my mom died of heart failure with complications due to diabetes and stroke. In May of this year I was diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea. That really, really scared me and motivated me to seek the help I need to beat this! 

I have considered weight loss surgery before, but when I discovered my insurance would not cover it that dream died. I just don't have the resources to self pay. I recently changed insurance carriers and it looks like my surgery will be covered. I am so excited! I am in the very beginning of the process and this forum has been such a help. I did join a facebook support group but that does not seem like the place for me. It truly scares me how many uninformed patients are out there. There are a lot of people on there ignoring their doctor's orders and then having a lot of problems with their health as a result. It is frustrating to watch and the poor results for these people starts to get to me after awhile, making me wonder if it is a bad idea to pursue this route (but I know this is not logical...it's their own doing a lot of the time. Not ALL time but you know what I mean). Thank you all for being here for others, especially the vets who lend their knowledge and support to us newbies! :D

Edited by aubreyjo35

Welcome as you start this journey to a healthier you.

Welcome Aubreyjo! So glad you are here. TT is full of friendly people who tell it like it is.

Insurance being covered=huge victory! 

If you're on Instagram, look up the hashtags #vsg, #rny, #bariatricsurgery, #wls, #wlstrong--awesome to see some great stuff happening on social media!

Welcome to TT from one newbie to another! 

Welcome and good luck!!!

Welcome!

Welcome!

Welcome! So glad you are here with us!