Is anyone gaining weight? I've gained 5lbs since my initial weight loss. I'm getting my protein, liquids, I'm getting in more exercising and my meals are 2-4 ozs. What is going on? I thought I would be 30lbs lighter by now. Anyone else experiencing this?

Yes , I have stalled for a few days and now have gained a couple of lbs but everything I have read in the post this is very common and we need to stay on plan and ride it out . Best to you don't let it get you down .

While I can't explain your weight gain, I can tell you that not everyone has these huge weight loss drops you hear or read about. I notice your stats show you started at 202. I think the people who lost 30+ pounds in their first month were in the 280 - 300+ pound range when they had surgery. I'm 5'3'", and I weighed 241 on the day of my surgery. After loosing the weight gained from IV fluids, I lost 11 pounds within the first week. Then NOTHING for the next 3 weeks. So my first month's loss was just 11 pounds! I think that if you are smaller to begin with, the weight isn't going to come off in very dramatic chunks. But it does come off. Overall my weight loss is averaging .3 pounds a day, and while it's not what I dreamed of, I wasn't loosing anything a year ago at this time - I was gaining!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I know I've mentioned this before but only in the sense of being stalled I didn't think I would gain 5lbs. But I plan to stay on track and hope I see better results next month.

I don't have the original website I got this from anymore so apologies for not giving proper credit to the person who gave this explanation

"A "stall"  is inevitable, and here is why. 

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble (able to desolve in water), but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity of our bodyis about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, your body turns first to stored glycogen in your muscles, which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, you also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

As you stay in caloric deficit, however, your body starts to realize that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose (fat) tissue and burning fat for energy. But your body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy -- like, to outrun a sabertooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored."

Thanks Jolls that is a great explanation and helps me to understand what is going on with me. I appreciate it.

I don't have the original website I got this from anymore so apologies for not giving proper credit to the person who gave this explanation

http://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau.php

Thank you Jolls for this information! I've always known about the importance of water in energy metabolism, but this paragraph puts it in a better light!

It really emphasizes one of the reasons we ought to drink at least 64 ounces of water a day. 64 ounces water weighs 4 pounds!

For anyone who doesn't already know the weight of water, there is an old rhyme to help you remember: "A pint's a pound, the world around." Sixteen fluid ounces of water weighs ~16 ounces (avoirdupois weight).

A gallon is 4 quarts, or 8 pints, and thus weighs ~8 pounds.

(Mind you, this doesn't apply to milk, which contains dissolved solids, thus is more dense and weighs more per fluid ounce.)

*edited to add the word "fluid". 

Edited by bondkatt

30 lbs in a month is a lot for your body to cope with. Your weight loss is quite sufficient. You are not saying over what period of time you gained the 5 lbs.

I gained the 5 lbs in the last week. Could be water retention and my transition to soft foods.

Is anyone gaining weight? I've gained 5lbs since my initial weight loss. I'm getting my protein, liquids, I'm getting in more exercising and my meals are 2-4 ozs. What is going on? I thought I would be 30lbs lighter by now. Anyone else experiencing this?

Pmk, Same here.  I had my 2nd follow-up appointment today since surgery, and I told my surgeon the same thing.  He told me to increase the protein (I am definitely not getting enough) and make sure to stay hydrated.  I was in ER a few weeks ago from dehydration and it wasn't fun.  I don't ever want that to happen again.  I've had a hard time with water.  I can handle iced tea.  I used to love ice water.  I now realize that cold liquids don't feel good in my tummy any more.  So strange.  The doctor told me my weight loss is on target for my surgery date of 7/21/15.  So I'm just living life and trying to avoid the scale.  I feel better and clothes are fitting that I haven't squeezed into in years.  It's strange since the weight is stalled.  Co-workers have said my face looks thinner.  That's a start.  Hang in there.  I've read that at 6 months you really see a difference.  I do love that a couple of bites of food and I'm stuffed.  He also told me to spread my meals out.  I eat to quickly after the last meal.  Good Luck!  You're not alone. :)

Thanks GinaP it's been weird people are saying the same thing about me. They can see weight loss in my face. I've picked up my exercising and trying too get in my 70 grams of protein. It's been tough but I'm interested to hear what my surgeon will say on my second visit. I sure hope I don't have to wait until 6 months before I see more weight loss. That's a long time.:-).

I gained the 5 lbs in the last week. Could be water retention and my transition to soft foods.

If you transitioned to soft foods for sure you will have a stall and possible weight gain. It's often referred to as the week 3 stall. I had similar as soon as I started eating soft foods. It's like the body wants to hold onto it. Your putting more food in, more water, and probably still not going to the bathroom all that much. It will pass. I'm not sure if I'm out of my stall quite yet, but I have been going slowly down the last few days .2lbs.

I noticed if I make myself follow through drinking 48oz of water a day I lose quicker.

"A "stall"  is inevitable, and here is why. (Snip) So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored."

So, here is my pain.  Today is my 2 week checkup, and I have been staying "off" the scale (I failed last week and got on it once), so this morning I got on it, and I am up again.

It just has to be water (or Satan).  Today I was supposed to start puréed foods, when I see my doc (at 2 Pm).  I was excited that I was progressing well and that I was so close to tipping out of the obese category.  I was proud that I had made a great decision for my health (and I still am... No regrets, just tempered excitement), and I thought I had found a way that my body would respond to after years and years of fighting.  I have not changed my stats yet, because I will put in what the doc's official weight is today.  And now I feel like I have to go pick my clothes *very* carefully....but that doesn't change reality.

I hope I can return here in a few months and laugh at my self and lessons-learned, but now it doesn't feel like it.

Edited by 3chillin

I went to my 2 week check up at a higher weight then I went to surgery as.  You know what my doctor said?  "Great job, keep up the good work."   He didn't give a crap what I weighted because he knows if I stick to his plan then I'm going to lose weight.  Period.

I weighed more at the 2 week follow up then I did the day of surgery.  A year later I was down 168lbs.

This works.  The body will work.  It just has to figure out how to.  You WILL be coming back here in a few months laughing at your self.... darn near every single solitary one of us did.

Well I sure hope I'm laughing right along with you after my six week checkup. I'm a little nervous about seeing my doctor but Jolls I like what you said, "the body has to figure out how to work". That's encouraging!:D

Jolls, thanks for bringing me down off the ceiling.  I was at a net 0 from week 1, so that isn't bad.  He tells me the same things everyone here does.

he also said my surgery was a breeze and that I can start on eggs and chix salad now, that sort of thing.  He also said that as long as I listen to my body I can exercise as much as I want -- I asked--you mean even sit ups and planks?  He grinned and said "listen to your body".

I suppose that is the lesson I have to rake from this.  With a smaller stomach, I have to pay attention and STOP when it is time.  Same with exercise.  Perhaps that's my problem all along....I don't listen very well.  (You are all sworn to secrecy...my husband must never know I just said that out loud).

I was stalled for 6 weeks. I stayed within 3 lbs up or down. I had a bad day at work and went to bed without having lunch, snacks or dinner. I gained a pound and a half from the previous day. It is frustrating, but don't give up. This is a life long marathon, not a sprint. I am still eating and exercising as before and now I am losing again. 5 lbs since Sunday. Everyone is different, just hang in there. Stick to your program and you will have success.

Although I haven't gained throughout my journey as some have, I have slowed way down, I started at 231 so I wasn't as big as some, I lost the most in the first 4 months and now at 8 months out I have about 20 lbs left to goal and the pounds are CREEPING off....

My downward trend picked up again right after my 2 week visit.  Slowed down, but moving!  I also started working out so it is going to slow down as my muscles start to grow.  I am tickled that some size 14 pants i haven't worn in over a year--they are fairly new bc I sized up too quickly to get any wear out of them....are just too big today.  I wore them anyway because I needed some nice black slacks....so....I have never ever had a pair of pants that I could just slip over my hips.....zipped up!

So I am cool.  I weigh in tomorrow at my trainer appt.  yippee.

Alright now, go Chillin good job. I know that feels good.:)

I ate some Halloween candy and that broke my long stall, I lost 2 lbs!! Yay!!

Lol- Halloween candy?  Jeez!  

Status--gave away all my 14s.  I look good in 12s

;)

I ate some Halloween candy and that broke my long stall, I lost 2 lbs!! Yay!!

I ate a couple Christmas cookies my first Christmas and same thing -  lost 2 pounds.

I just wanted to throw out there to people reading to keep in mind it isn't "candy" or "cookies" or "banana" or "namewhateverrandomthingyouareeating" that causes the stall to break or pounds to fall.  Its change.  Her eating candy was something 'new' and different then she had been eating.  Me eating my cookies was something new and different to what I had been eating.  It is this "new" thing that causes the body to (sometimes) lose.  Obviously you cannot eat a diet of cookies and expect to continue to lose.  It happens because the body reacted the change in diet;  despite how 'good or bad' that food item might have technically been.  This is why (usually) it is not a good plan of attack to eat the same thing every day;  should change it up some but as always, eat responsibly  :)