Jolls

Food of the Day (pictured)

A friend of mine gets the large zuccinis and cuts out a majority of the "meat" of it, cuts it up and sautes it with tomatoes, onions, peppers and adds browned ground meat.  She adds the mixture back into the "boat", tops with cheese, and bakes.  yum!

My Mom got us to like cooked spinach by putting it on buttered toast and topped with boiled egg.  It worked with my kids too.

I guess there aren't many veggies that I don't love one way or another.

Leftover steak (2oz) topped with blue cheese sauce and raspberries!

post-53366-0-09676200-1442200879_thumb.j

I thought maybe this thread was now pointless but it looks like the pictures didn't transfer over is all.  Have to edit posts and put that back in.....

oct14avat.jpg

Edited by Jolls

Pictures are being restored it sounded like -  so everything should pop up here again soon.

Here is what spiralized zucchini looks like

0145de38fd144538a5e184c6f8842be51f66e6e710_00001.jpg

Pictures are being restored it sounded like -  so everything should pop up here again soon.

Here is what spiralized zucchini looks like

0145de38fd144538a5e184c6f8842be51f66e6e710_00001.jpg

Jolls, I have tried to do this three times.  Each time the zucchini noodles had a bitter aftertaste.  We have tried it both with and without the peel.  are there ant secrets I am missing?

I'm so buying one of these veggie things this weekend!!  Does yellow squash work as well? 

Jolls, I have tried to do this three times.  Each time the zucchini noodles had a bitter aftertaste.  We have tried it both with and without the peel.  are there ant secrets I am missing?

Are you sure it isn't the sauce you are using?  Zucchini doesn't really have a taste.  Are you cooking them?  I guess I've only ever eaten cooked zucchini but I have never noticed much of anything way of taste or aftertaste.

I'm so buying one of these veggie things this weekend!!  Does yellow squash work as well? 

Yes, the spiralizer will do all veggies - even carrots.

Are you sure it isn't the sauce you are using?  Zucchini doesn't really have a taste.  Are you cooking them?  I guess I've only ever eaten cooked zucchini but I have never noticed much of anything way of taste or aftertaste.

Jolls do you cook yours? And if so for how long?

I bought a spiralizer and am not impressed.  It simply changes the look of the veggie.  It is quicker and easier to just slice the zucchini or whatever veggie.  I found it to be a lot of work for aesthetics. 

I bought the veggie machine over the weekend and it works great . You do not cook the veggies very long only a few minutes and the sauce is very important but I haven't had any problems cooking or in the taste of any of the vegetable .

Jolls do you cook yours? If so how long?

This is a very tricky question.  Yes I cook mine -  I have not mastered a pre-cook time though to get it to my liking.  There is a fine line between overcooking it and under and I just haven't found the right time frame yet.  I will say it takes quite a lot to over cook it though so there is no huge concern over doing that.  It also depends how much crunch you like -  the last batch I did I did not pre-cook;  it cooked in the sauce for about 10 min is all from the raw state.  BF really enjoyed it;  I do not like it crunchy so I was not a fan.  Prior ones I've done I steamed for about 8-10 min I believe, that is much more "al dente" texture.  The last lasagna I did (and those are much thinner 'noodles') baked in there for 45 min and they still had a slight crunch - those were pretty much perfect.  For some reason I am much more hesitant to cook the noodles that long though.

I bought a spiralizer and am not impressed.  It simply changes the look of the veggie.  It is quicker and easier to just slice the zucchini or whatever veggie.  I found it to be a lot of work for aesthetics. 

I'm not exactly sure what you were expecting - a slicing/cutting machine is simply going to do just that... cut the veggie.  That is all it is intended to do is make it into noodle-esque shape.  So if you are someone that wants your spaghetti to look like spaghetti;  it does its purpose.

Personally I was amazed at how easy and quick it was.  It was quicker and utilized more of the zucchini then my julieanne peeler;  clean up a bit more cause its a machine with parts instead of handheld peeler; but overall I was pleasantly surprised with how fast and simple it was.  Overall the process (or MY process) is a long time no matter how I cut it up though because I drain for a night, pat it dry, grill or cook it.... trying to get out as much moisture a possible... and then make sphagetti.

Edited by Jolls

~This question is unrelated to this thread~

Where are all our weigh loss tickers?? I can't see mine and I can't see yours....

I see them all.

I see them all.

ok thanks jolls. Looks like it's just me :-(

I'm not seeing them either?

I'm not seeing them either?

you can't on a mobile device. ..... alot of not so great changes for smartphones after TT did there upgrade. ....very had to navigate. I also noticed  (I belive desktop also) we don't have friends? And no option to add friends. 

Ahh I see it's the mobile thing. And Who needs friends anyway right?

Ahh I see it's the mobile thing. And Who needs friends anyway right?

hahah I guess not!

Friends didn't transfer over, but you can now "Follow" a person which is the equivilent, it would seem.  Click on their name which brings you to profile and then next to that is a "Follow" you can choose.

Lot of features are different/shorten/removed/changed on the web version -  that is how "mobile sites" work.  I couldn't see signatures on the old version of the forums either.  However, they had an option to "view full site" which then enabled all of the 'condensed' stuff.  I don't see that option on the current version.  However -  they are still working on getting things moved, working, tweaked and fixed.  (perhaps the Friends thing, like the pictures, will move over still)

Edited by Jolls

Back to topic!

Inspired by my recent baked parm tomato find:  http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/topic/107598-baked-parmesan-tomatoes/   I made this creation.

1 medium tomato (5 slices),  about 1 Tbs (total) homemade pesto slathered about on each piece, 2.5oz ground turkey (I had this pre cooked for salads already) spread on top and topped with about 1/4 c shredded cheese.  Sprinkled a little garlic salt, oregano and crushed red pepper on top.   Broiled on low for...I don't even know how long... until it looked like this lol.  The tomatoes were not mush like my baked parm recipe above so I liked this much better.  Broiling on low is probably the key, perhaps.

214 cal  24 prot  5 carb  11 fat  1 fiber

It took me about an hour to eat;  again kind of a no-no to eat that 'long' but I didn't even have 1000 cal for the day so I just finished this when I could.

0189db143350aa60bc1336d01faa74f855c31bfb66.jpg

Edited by Jolls

Anything with tomatoes as the front runner is good to me! Thanks Jolls :D

New tork steak, salmon, chopped salad and roasted broccoli.

image.jpg

Garlic Rosemary Shrimp in white wine and peppers. Delicious! 4 medium sized shrimp and I was stuffed!

image.jpeg