Funder71

This just got REAL

Hi All...Im on month 2 of 4 of my medically supervised weight mgmt before my surgery. I've been reading the forums like a crazy person for the last couple of months and have really gained a lot of helpful insight. But today i sat down and started reading my Bariatric notebook provided by my Dr on all the post op requirements for meals ie water/protein. Listing the input of water and protein and i literally started having a small panic attack. Like it literally seemed like eating and drinking would be a full time job trying to get it all in. 64oz of water taking 1 med sip each time & wait 3 mins in between sips....it just all started to overwhelm me. My question is how hard was it for you all to adjust to it and did you do a lot of pre op planning to prepare. What did you all do to prepare forthis?

It seems like you have to be incredibly organized to be successful and sadly that has never been my strong suit.

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks

There is an expression that we get used to a new normal after surgery. And it's true, our relationship with food changes and this new relationship becomes normal over time. That said, the plan right after surgery is more restrictive than the long-term diet. At the beginning you'll need to time sips for example, but over time you will be able to drink more freely. You'll never gulp down drinks but you'll be able to drink much more quickly, I can do 8 ounces in less than 10 minutes now.

Yes, in the beginning meeting fluid and protein goals is a full time job. It was a daily struggle and PIA. Seriously, the best days for me were when I was so dehydrated I had to get IV fluids 2-3 months postop, Sure, I felt like crap, but at least I didn't have to drink anything those days!

For me it took about 4 months before I felt normal and eating/drinking wasn't such a chore anymore. But really, looking back now the misery of the preop and postop diets and all those new habits I had to develop are barely a blip on my radar compared to how fabulous my life has become. All worth the inconveniences of the early days. After about a year I was able to take big normal gulps and have no issues eating anything at this point.

Thanks PapaG and ThinCVT i think my head is a litte too in it. I want this to be successful and i feel like this is my last big effort to finally be the me that i am meant to be and i just got a little scared by all the numbers and it got the best of me. I am so grateful to have folks like you all and this site to help reel things back into perspective. But i think it will help for me to start trying to implement some of these things now and to try to map out liquids and purees that will work for me...im a texture eater so the pureed meat makes me gag just thinking about it so ive got some stuff to overcome so that it doesnt derail me post op.

Thanks so much!!

Don't worry too much. You'll find your rhythm. It may take a little trial and error, but you'll get there. I've never timed my pace of fluid consumption. I've always been one to constantly be working on a water. and I just kept doing the same thing, and that works for me. The only difference is watching the time around mealtime to put space between drinking fluids and eating solids.

The detailed instructions may seem daunting at first, but you will find what works for you, and it will become second nature.

I've been reading through my operative package from my surgeon also. It is pretty overwhelming... It all seems so foreign... Glad you guys who have gone ahead of us are here to ease the jitters. If I couldn't have come to this group over the last few days after getting approved, even though I am very excited to get it done, I might have talked myself out of the surgery. You guys have been a life saver! Thank you!

Initially, it is a chore getting food and drinks in but at about 4 months, things begin to even out.

I'm now at 11 months post op and the only difference I feel is if I eat too fast or swallow chunks of food too fast. Then, the feeling of pouch pain comes. But I can drink fluids by the gulp without feeling any difficulty whatsoever.

It felt that way the first week!  But I was off work, so it was okay that focusing on that consumed my day.

A lot of people here suggest setting a timer for 15 minutes - drink 1-2 oz during that time and then set it again.  This REALLY helped me.  

I was home for a week also- and used a timer. (I still do before and after meals). The water is a challenge and I did use the sip cups for 2 weeks but now I usually manage fine. I sometimes think I'm drinking too fast but if I do, my pouch tells me! 

I have really not 'pureed' anything. I just stick to things that are easy to get down. I am eating things I never ate pre-surgery (like cottage cheese, I love it now) and you'll likely find that too. Just try things until you find something that works. And go slowly- this isn't a race.  :)

I miss gulping water. 

I'm 3 months out and yes, it's a full time job to drink, take my vitamins, and such. But I'm down 50lbs, I can breathe!!! I can move and my clothes are baggy. SO. WORTH.IT