Jodi

95% what I eat and 5% exercise = results

I might have many people disagree with me, but for me I maintain my weight by choosing the right foods and portions.  Although, I do agree that exercise is important for emotional and physical well being it has very little bearing on my weight.  For me it has always been about what I put in my mouth that determines my weight.

The only exercise I do is walk 5 -7 miles about 3 times a week.  I am not one to sit and I am always doing something but I was never the type to go to the gym to work out.

post-8207-0-89380000-1440856565_thumb.jp

Edited by Jodi

Jodi, you're reinforcing an important point.  It ultimately comes down to what we put in our mouths, exercise or not.  Its about eating the proper proportion of food to activity.  Too much food and too little activity and we gain, lots of activity and too much food and we gain.  Its about finding the right balance; you've definitely found yours.  My hat is off to you.

I have a friend that is getting close to 50.  She never had a weight problem and always prided herself that as long as she worked out she really could eat anything she liked.  Well, things have changed.  No matter how much exercise she does she is putting weight on.  I tried to tell her that especially when we get older we have to make the right food choices and portion control is an absolute.

Spot on Jodi.

Someone recently left the forum in a big huff because some people encouraged her to back off a little on the exercise until she found the right balance between food and exercise.

You are the perfect example of finding the right balance not only to lose weight but maintain your loss. You are a superstar.

Right on Jodi, too many of us, even after surgery see exercise as a cure all. If that were the case many of us would have not needed surgery to begin with.

Everyone has his/her own body type, metabolism, food choices, and time schedule. There isn't a 1 size fits all when it comes to weight loss. Some depend on diet alone, some on exercise alone, and some on both.

It all boils down to doing what you can to live healthy. Everyone should seek out what suits them and do it to live a healthy life.

I post on TT because I am going on 6 years out and I maintained my loss and many people message me and ask me how I have done it.  That is why I said in my post "for me".  I never suggested that "1 size fits all".

To me it seems that people want the long term people to stick around on TT and ask their advice to long term success but when they share their experience they get challenged.  I ONLY post my personal experience in hopes that my words can help someone.  I know I am a work in progress but have learned a lot in the past years.

Thank  you for sharing, Jodi.  One of my biggest fears is the long-term as I've lost this much weight twice before and gained it all back.  It eases my anxiety to read success stories like yours and know that it is possible with the right balance, and the right use of the tools.  You and all the long-termers on here are inspiring!

Totally agree! If you stuff your mouth with junk 2000-3000 calories, it doesn't take much room and you can pack in the grease and sweets; no amount of working out can wipe out those calories!

Jodi,

I'm 50 and almost four months out and let me assure you that I'm VERY happy that you and the other successful people take time to post here! It is so encouraging and helpful to read what works. I need to know that you have have remained diligent and that has worked. Just like the decision to have surgery was mine, the decision to have long term success is mine as well.

You also look freaking amazing! I don't dare to hope to look that good but I am determined to get to and stay at goal!!

I post on TT because I am going on 6 years out and I maintained my loss and many people message me and ask me how I have done it.  That is why I said in my post "for me".  I never suggested that "1 size fits all".

To me it seems that people want the long term people to stick around on TT and ask their advice to long term success but when they share their experience they get challenged.  I ONLY post my personal experience in hopes that my words can help someone.  I know I am a work in progress but have learned a lot in the past years.

I welcome your advice and am appreciative for the long-term members who have kept the weight off, that continue to post. It is very helpful for many of the newbies.  :-)

Agreed and both my hubby's doc who is not WLS patient and NUT told us the same ESPECIALLY as we age. 

Jodi,

I'm thrilled to read your posts today.  As my surgery month approaches, I find myself in a bit of a tizzy- thinking, ok, so i still have to watch what i eat and still have to exercise, and i'm going to have this major surgery? why? So i'm looking for folks who are further out to see what they've done, what's their "secret".  How much do you feel your surgery helps you keep on track? I read that you don't feel much restriction anymore.  Is it that the initial post op boost gave you the motivation to stick with it and gave you the chance to develop new habits?  Personally I bow down to you and wish you much continued success.. You look amazing and your pride for all of your hard work comes through in your smile! xo

and please do continue to post! Your posts help all of us who are new to this whole thing :)

YES!!!   I am 6 months out and am down 114 pounds.  I go for a swim on a good week on Saturday and Sunday only.  I have missed it for the last two weekends due to various commitments....however I am still losing!  It is what we eat!!!!!  I agree with you 100%, I do however feel like I need to exercise for toning the muscles...not to lose the weight.  Anyone experience good luck with muscle building exercises instead of weight loss exercises?   For the arms, thighs and belly areas.

I had a lot of restriction in the beginning like most of us do but I knew that I could not count on that restriction forever.  I heard too many times of people having surgery and a couple of years out they gained it all back.  So,  I came up with rules I could live with forever ( I have listed this rules in past posts).  I am going on 6 years and I follow those rules and I have not gained a pound, which is a bit surprising since I turned 50 and going through menopause.  LOL

You MUST accept:

1.  there is no cure for obesity.  

2.  your brain will always think of food as comfort.  

3.  take one day at a time.  

4.  every meal is a choice.

5.  some days will be hard than others.

6.  cravings never go away. 

thank you for this list!!!! wow.  did you find the surgery helped with the cravings at all? it's funny that WLS (except the band) are supposed to cut the portion of the stomach out that produces the hunger/craving hormone. that's what drew me to consider it.  thanks to posts like yours i've learned there just isn't a magic cure. there just isn't.  congrats again!

The cravings come from your head and self soothing.  Do not think about the food your craving but instead think about the feeling you are experiencing.  The feeling is normally anxiety, sadness, loneliness, boredom, anticipation, ect....

IMG_1422.jpg

Thanks for posting Jodi. I'm 13 months out and now in maintenance mode. I've gotten here mostly through diet- very little exercise. I've wondered if I'm going to need to increase my exercise in order to maintain.  I think the food choices and portion control will always be the key to long term success for me.  

Bellamoma- unfortunately a lot of what causes us to have cravings and think we're hungry is in our heads- not our stomachs. As a result of surgery, I rarely feel hungry.  However, that doesn't mean I rarely feel the desire to eat (and to eat junk at that).   

PS- I wish I could get the courage for plastics.  That stomach of Jodi's is to die for.  

I have every confidence that I can enjoy long term success. As I'm relearning myself, I am watching for the source of my hunger. A couple of times recently I was working in the afternoon and feeling a bit tense about upcoming deadlines and started to feel hungry. My first reaction was that I shouldn't eat in response to stress. Then I looked at the clock, and both times it was about 4:00 in the afternoon. I normally have a snack around that time.

So I guess the takeaway is that even if I am experiencing emotions, I may also be experiencing a genuine need to eat. In both cases described above, once I saw what time it was, I ate a serving of beef jerky, and all was well with the world again. I was hungry, and a snack satisfied me.

WENDY!!!!! LOOK AT YOU!!!!! omg you look amazing, I'm just seeing your new pic.  Congrats to you, you must be so proud!

Jodi and DunnDeal, you guys gave me an "aha moment" that I'm forever grateful for. Even though I keep reading the quote "the surgery is on your stomach, not your head" , for some reason what you wrote really made it click.  I felt a little DUH, but I don't care. I'd rather feel DUH pre-op than DUH post op :)   This truly is about re-learning everything.  I grew up in a "scrape the plate clean of every last bit of food" culture so I do indeed have to re-learn about true hunger vs. head hunger.  

Yesterday my family went to one of those farms that has pumpkin and apple picking and pies and ice cream, etc.  I didn't plan well and ended up starving after a few hours there.  I got a frosted cake as an impulse..... After I ate my peanut butter sandwich and got back home, i felt horrible guilt for what I'd done.  I had a few bites and had so many feelings bubble up.  I was angry and sad and guilty. I decided to make a choice. The cake was 11 bucks, but I smashed it and threw it out.  I told it it couldn't hurt me any more. I told it I choose to take control.  

This is hard, but I'm going to do it.  Thanks for the list.  It helped me yesterday, and it helped something click! xo