Jbaer

I thought it would be more

My surgery was Aug 17th. Today was the first time I weighed myself I lost 7 pounds. I really thought I would have lost more. That made me kind of sad to see.

I have lost a total of 31 pounds since this journey started so that's good.

Is 7 pounds normal?

Edited by Jbaer

We don't all lose weight at the same rate and the fact that you did well on your pre-op diet can impact our rate of loss early post-op.

7lb down in 12 days is an average of 0.58 lb a day.

At my first post-op check-up (15 days), I was down 8.7 lb.  That's the exact same rate of loss as you.  

It's normal!! You will also see on here that 0, 12, 19, and even +2 are also normal! Don't compare yourself to others. We are all different. I understand that you want the weight gone but give yourself a break. Losing is losing. Seven pounds is terrific! If you lost 7 pounds a month that would be 84 pounds!

Some people say weigh every day. Others say once a week or even once a month. You will have to decide what works best for you. Some people go nuts with daily weighing because it stresses them out. Others use the daily input of the scales to adjust their intake or activity. Then there are people who use a combination of the two depending on where they are in the journey. Do what is the most beneficial for you!!

My suggestion is to try on clothes every now and then. You'll be amazed how quickly your tight pants are super loose! It's an incredible feeling to put on your "skinny" jeans and have them fall down!!!

I'm still early out but this forum has helped a lot! There are several veterans on here who offer their experience and advice. They are literally a wealth of information.

Stick to your plan and do it every day. If you do that the weight will come off!

Best to you and welcome to the loser's bench!

Should say

If you lost 7 pounds a month that would be 84 pounds in a year!

it took me 2 weeks to lose the weight i gained from fluids as a result of surgery.

we all want to lose faster than we do, but our bodies decide how fast its going to be.

is a marathon,not a sprint - youre doing great.

Thanks everyone. I feel better now.

You will lose at the rate your body wants to.  Some lose faster than others, its just a fact of life.  That said you were also pumped full of fluids during surgery which you needed to shed before you actually started losing.  The important thing is that you are losing, don't lose sight of that.  

Stay off the scale. Have someone hide the scale and then weigh yourself only every 2 weeks or so.

Stay on your program.

The surgery works if you eat what you are supposed to be eating,

Meet your fluid and protein goals every day. That helps.

We all lose differently.

You've got this!

I gained 14 pounds from fluids when in the hospital.  It took 2 weeks for that to go bye-bye.  Be patient.  Follow the doctor's plan and you will succeed.

I also gain in the hospital 16 lbs and took just under two weeks to get back to surgery day weight everything is going fine now .

The only times I got weighed in the first TWO MONTHS after surgery were when I went to the doctor's office. I know we have the mindset that you just went through this huge ordeal in order to lose weight and I want results NOW, but stay off the scale for a while. You'll drive yourself crazy otherwise. I do get on the scale more now (simply because I'm not going to the doctor's every other week anymore) but I still measure my success more so by how my clothes fit than what the scale says.

I'll be 9 weeks post op on Monday... As of this morning I've lost 22 lbs since surgery.

I'm one that weighs daily... And I have since June 1st when I started tracking food. I don't stress when I stall for several days... I spent all last week bouncing between 170 and 171 only to drop 2.6 lbs in the last 3 days.

Edited by amkari

Pre my WLS, I had a 35+ year documented history of failed dieting attempts all sabotaged by what I perceived as a failure if I didn't see a constant loss on the scales.

Ultimately, I chose not to have scales in the house.  I relied on surgeon/NUT/PCP visits to be weighed.  The freed me up to focus on the importance of following the programme and exercising daily.

I actually gained post up then was at a standstill. You will be so surprised when it starts falling off and FAST!