chucklebery

Hello from a type 1 diabetic looking into surgery

I'm 35 and will be booking my surgery soon. My BMW is 34 but due to my type 1 diabetes, insulin resistance, vit D deficiency and under active thyroid my weight keeps steadily increasing. Dieting hasn't worked and exercise only maintains my weight. I have spine problems so exercise is getting more difficult.

Does anyone know whether bypass or sleeve would be best for me? My by levels have fairly stable for 2 years and since then i don't have much appetite yet haven't lost weight.

Considering all of this I believe bypass would be more beneficial due to it restricting more calories than a sleeve? My concerns are that there is the risk of vitamin deficiency with the bypass. Also the sleeve seems to be the best for maintain blood glucose levels as there aren't any restrictions with carbohydrates like there is with the sleeve.

I'm stuck on which option to choose. Most of the research is based in type 2 and often people with bigger BMIs than mine. My diabetes team know that surgery is the only option to help manage my weight but they do not have enough information regarding which option to go for.

So sorry this was a long topic!!!

Any suggestions from other type 1s or those with knowledge on my issues,

Best regards to you all

Welcome

This is a common question.  Each surgery will get you where you want to be but RNY tends to do it faster.  Also, RNY is more commonly recommended for those with diabetes sit helps more quickly, but again, that is not to say that Sleeve wouldn't help.  Vitamins are something to consider with RNY and you would need to be very strict about taking vitamins after surgery with RNY due to malabsorption.  Then again, even as a sleever I think we should make sure to get our vitamins in.

My recommendation is to meet with your surgeon and hear what their recommendation is and why.  Then you can start to make a pro and cons list to see which is the best fit for you.

I have never had diabetes but was becoming insulin resistant before my RNY Gastric Bypass. Now my numbers are wonderful and my doctors couldn't be happier. The first thing that my bariatric surgeon said when he saw my last tests were that I must be taking all my vitamins and supplements because my tests results were so awesome and such an improvement over the results before my surgery. My point is there is really no problem with vitamin deficiencies if you take your vitamins and minerals every single day! My nutritionist told me in the beginning that the most common cause of hospitalizations for bypass patients is dehydration and failure to take vitamins and supplements regularly which will eventually cause severe health problems so I have made it a point to never skip them ever. As a result I feel amazing.

Cheyenne

RNY is most commonly recommend to diabetics, but as you pointed out, that recommendation assumes Type 2. I'm hypothesizing here, but I imagine diabetes remission isn't in your future due to the different root cause of your blood sugar issues. If that's the situation, there's a less compelling case to be made for RNY.

Given your concerns about vitamin deficiencies, I'd take a serious look at sleeve. Both procedures will result in substantial weight loss if you do your part. Statistically speaking, sleeve will get you there a bit more slowly. On the flip side, nothing is bypassed, so you have the full length of your digestive tract to absorb nutrients, and given that your pyloric valve remains in the digestive pathway, the risk of developing dumping syndrome is much lower. On the other hand, some people find the idea of having the majority of the stomach physically removed from their bodies to be unpalatable.

Keep doing your research. I'm spouting off suppositions, and someone more knowledgeable would be able to give you more meaningful recommendations. During your evaluation, consider how the pros and cons of each procedure will fit with your lifestyle.

I could pretty much ditto what Cheyenne said.  I was insulin resistant as well and moving towards increased blood sugar problems.  However, I am also hypothyroid so I understand exactly what you are saying about weight gain regardless of the food choices.  Plus I have been suffering from high blood pressure.

I have been struggling for so many years with low energy due to they hypothyroidism that vitamins are and have been an absolute necessity for me.  I rely on the B vitamins to get me through the day!  So like PapaG said, while I think everyone should take vitamins everyday, for me, it is a necessity!  But some people act like that is one of the issues against RNY. 

I did all of the research I could ahead of time.  Then, I sought out online support and found this forum.  They filled in a lot of the gaps between a book and an experience, if you know what I mean.

I am very happy with my choice of RNY.  So far I have had no problems at all. 

Good luck!

Edited by Julie_T

I have replied to your posts but cant see it on here. I've made 4th is post via the dust reply box just to recap what I put in my missing post-

Thank you for all your replies. Lots of useful insight and experiences have helped me to decide on the bypass.

My main reason is that I do get heartburn and the sleeve has a much higher incidence of GERD. Secondly my hypothyroidism insulin resistance and vit d deficiency make weight loss impossible. I do not feel hungry very much so I am also not leaning towards the sleeve due to its reduction in ghrelin as this wouldnt affect me * I can go a day without food as my appetite isn't very big and I have to really fancy something some days to eat).

Also the calorie intake reduction with the bypass will help me to maintain my weight as my exercise level will be increased gently after surgery but I gave arthritis in my spine so at present I do very little exercise. (When I do anything I have to take extra tramadol . I already take tablets daily so can manage to take vitamins daily. Do you guys increase your vitamin uptake via tablet only or do you use any other methods?

All the best

Sorry about the predictive spelling get errors!!

You indicate that you are a type 1 insulin resistant diabetic, I am assuming you must be insulin dependent which is very different from a type II that can be insulin dependent but not all are.  You need to be sure to consult with your endocrinologist throughout this journey because the two different types of diabetes stem from different causes and more than likely may not have the same results.  Where type II may and many do go into remission, type I will not because it involves the pancreas.  Having said that, I have read of a very few type I's having an awesome improvement in their diabetes. Research, ask a lot of questions of your Doctors.  Best to you. 

Yes I'm on insulin but also take metformin with evening meal if I consume complex carbs. My insulin resistance is less since metformin but still very much an issue. I get very tired very quickly after a meal with carbs so the restrictions from the bypass should help with this issue.

There is a huge difference in a type 1 and type 2 diabetes diagnosis. I suggest you discuss this at length with your surgeon and endocrinologist.