Hi everyone!

So I realize I hate wasting food. If I have something left on my plate I will try to eat it and that usually ends badly. I just feel so bad throwing it away!

Does anyone else have this problem? Could I be using wasting food as an excuse and just be addicted to food?

I think the fear of "wasting food" is definitely a sign of food addiction.  Prior to being sleeved, I was one of those people who were like "I'm so full, but gah there are still 10 bites on my plate, must eat...them...all!"  I still hate wasting food, but I've gotten pretty good at putting my leftovers in containers for later.  Sadly, my freezer and fridge is full of small rubbermaid containers of leftover food that I usually just end up throwing away later anyway haha.

It can be hard to change a lifetime of conditioning to clean your plate. Measure your portions so that it's ok if you eat it all. When you go out to eat, ask for a to go box when they bring out your food and go ahead and box 3/4 of it up immediately. As for throwing it away, the more often you do it, the more used to it you'll become and hopefully, you won't feel the need to eat it all. Good luck.

I can relate.  It isn't always just a thinking of 'wasting' it -  I often say to myself:  its ONLY one bite or two bites more....   one or two bites shouldn't make much of a difference, but it does!!   And yes, almost always regret trying to finish or finishing it.   I attribute it to the addiction cause I will do this one stuff that I don't even think is all that great.  (and I'm talking about measured portions - not just throwing a bunch on my plate)

Edited by Jolls

It wasn't bad enough I had to finish my plate I would get upset seeing people leave food on there plate . You got it I was one of the people that preached to people especially my 5 grandkids to finish what on there plate and don't take so much next time . Boy was I trained good from childhood or what . Now I am now real big on what there eating like candy and having only good treats in the house for them at snack time . Sites like this really opened my eyes to many things but especially food relate things like how much have and what is better choices to have .

Ok, this might just be a mind game, (well, who am I kidding, it's actually a total mind game) but it's working for me.  

I went to the container store and picked out a mixed handful of tiny containers, tupperware and glass jars.  Like 2-3 oz at most.  

It doesn't feel anymore like I'm putting away two bites of food in a giant container and so I should probably just finish them.  

I like how they look in my fridge and my lunchbox for lunch the next day.  (Even if my husband does raise an eyebrow at my tiny portions)

Edited by MadameDefarge

SDW Sleeve:

I totally grew up that way. Had six siblings and if you didn't eat up somebody else got the food. I just started on week 2 of my diet but I already have pulled out these tiny baby bowls. Instead of eating 6 spoonfuls of yogurt from the container, I put 4 spoonfuls in the bowl. I sat down and ate the whole bowl, but didn't go back for me.

Make yourself small containers, with not quite enough in them. You'll find it a hassle to refill and often will just be content with what you ate.

I imagine when I go out to restaurants in the future I'm going to ask for a to go box right up front and put most of my meal in that.

Think of it like this. The ultimate waste of food is to put it in your body where it becomes fat, weights you down, destroys your body, and makes you sick. The garbage is a much better place then sticking it on the sides of your body :-) Which ones is more wasteful?

I struggle with this, especially when I'm out to eat and can't take leftovers home (home far enough away it would spoil by the time it got to the frig).  I keep repeating to myself, "it costs the same amount whether you eat it or not, you're not saving money by making yourself sick".  Of course it's not really about the cost so I try to also eat more mindfully and savor every bite I do eat.  I swear there is more actual enjoyment of the few bites now than there used to be inhaling the whole portion.  It takes awhile to "undo" the habits of a lifetime but with each success it becomes easier.

If i know I can't take it with me, I ask for a smaller portion to start out with.  I don't throw away good food, and I don't take home what I don't need and/or want.

Have any of you just ordered an extra plate to share with whoever you go out to eat with? That's what I plan to do once I get there.

Have any of you just ordered an extra plate to share with whoever you go out to eat with? That's what I plan to do once I get there.

This works great with my sisters, daughter or hubby. Work and friends I have ordered a smaller portion or something like a cup of egg drop soup.

Many restaurants have started serving very small portions if you ask. You can also ask for a child's portion of something on the adult menu even if they don't have it on the menu. Most places are willing to serve what you request.

My nut gave me a card that states I've had bariatric surgery that some people present in restaurants to get a smaller portion. I've not used it yet but I do carry it.

Ok, this might just be a mind game, (well, who am I kidding, it's actually a total mind game) but it's working for me.  

I went to the container store and picked out a mixed handful of tiny containers, tupperware and glass jars.  Like 2-3 oz at most.  

It doesn't feel anymore like I'm putting away two bites of food in a giant container and so I should probably just finish them.  

I like how they look in my fridge and my lunchbox for lunch the next day.  (Even if my husband does raise an eyebrow at my tiny portions)

^^^This is me!  I also have a cupboard full of small plastic dishes.  Drives my husband insane, but they work for the small portions I need.  Otherwise I'd put too much in a bigger dish.

I was raised to not only finish my plate but others as well. So, yes I hate wasting food. I combate those feelings now by measuring all portions out. It works, not seeing the food on my plate does the trick in helping me get a handle on this. When I eat out I share meals with my wife who also eats small portions.

I came from a household where "cleaning your plate" was mandatory, and that carried itself forward to adulthood.

These days, I tend to use a salad plate instead of a dinner plate, and I have come to re-teach myself that it's ok to leave food on my plate.  Well, not only OK but necessary.  ONE BITE can move me from "i'm good" to "OMG, I'm going to explode."

I've also had to learn to appreciate leftovers, which I hated before.  About the only leftovers I would eat was soup and some casseroles.  Now, I eat almost anything leftover, except steak.  It's too dry.

Funny how times change!  :)

Now, I eat almost anything leftover, except steak. It's too dry.

I am able to eat leftover steak. For me the trick is to reheat very gently. I cut into tiny pieces before heating then heat at 20% power. It's still pink even when it's warm, and just as juicy as when fresh.

And for little bits of leftovers, I got an 8-pack of half cup containers. Actually I got three packages. In addition to being ideal to storing small amounts of leftovers, they're perfect for grapes, berries, and salad dressing for dipping in my son's lunches, and they're just the right size for single scoops of protein powder to take to work and stash in my desk.