Brittbritt0202

Can't get protein shakes down :(

I am 3.5 weeks post op and this week I started being able to eat veggies, beans, and cheese. I have felt very nauseous from about 6am-2pm all week long. I am supposed to get 60 grams of protein but drinking the shakes makes me so nauseous. I have tried the premier protein from SAMs and about 4 different brands of protien powder. Every time I put it to my mouth I want to grow up. I forced my self to drink my 8 oz over about an hour the other day and I was felt sick the entire day. I went back to only talking in liquids the past two days thinking that would help but it hasn't.
Today I have had about 1/4 of a protien shake, 1 jello cup, and 8 oz of chicken broth and its 7:00 pm. I am worried about not consuming protien but I also don't want to feel sick all day. I wish I could just take a protien pill. Please help.

add 1 teaspoon of JELLO SF instant pudding power to the protein shake,   it changes the flavor and consistancy and is pretty good.   White Chocolate is my fav

add 1 teaspoon of JELLO SF instant pudding power to the protein shake,   it changes the flavor and consistancy and is pretty good.   White Chocolate is my fav

Thanks, I have tried this and it doesn't help. I've also tried the SF syrups. I want nothing to do with anything sweet :(

I don't know what ur allowed carb amount is...I too could NOT do nasty foul shakes and TMI any whey ones made me have terrible diarrhea. They allowed me (my surgeon and NUT) to drink by Organic Valley - Fuel. It is not fake and does have sugar in it. I lost well over 100 lbs using those as my liquid protein...again please clear with your NUT/surgeon.

I find protein powder in yogurt to be much easier to tolerate. I also use a soy protein powder from trader joes with Nesqiuk (no sugar added) and , with some stevia, end up with a chocolate shake that tastes clean and like something I would have drank before. Good luck. Hang in there!

The shakes can be hard for many of us. I developed a whey allergy two months after surgery and have never been able to drink one since. Best recommendation I have is to get a good unflavored fro twin powder like unjury and mix it in things like yogurt, broths, etc.

The shakes can be hard for many of us. I developed a whey allergy two months after surgery and have never been able to drink one since. Best recommendation I have is to get a good unflavored fro twin powder like unjury and mix it in things like yogurt, broths, etc.

Is the Unjury really unflavored?

Is the Unjury really unflavored?

I never tasted anything when using it. Hopefully others will chime in with their experience as well.

I have the same problem. I have a very hard time tolerating anything sweet after surgery. I've been drinking Lemonade Isopure. It is still sweeter than I would like, but it is tart enough to balance it out. 

It's been hard for me to get 60-70 grams of protein down too. I've been drinking isopure 40g instead of shakes. And I get the rest from cottage cheese, yogurt, etc. It seems to work.

To be honest I had previously been on so many diets that had food much worse than protein shakes.

70s 80s version of slim fast - tasted like liquid gravel and had huge amounts of sugar.

nutrisystem was either canned, mri, or freeze dried.

there were also a plethora of diets like cabbage soup, only certain fruit, drink apple cider or aloe before meals.

A tera's whey shake fully blended is bliss compared to that stuff.

They do have protein drinks that are fruit flavored - Isopure makes some that are gatorade-esque. I'm not sure - I think it's Syntex brand that makes the nectar line - some great fruity flavors like fuzzy navel, etc. 

I used the strawberry sorbet from unjury and mixed it with lemonade crystal light - which became a quick favorite. Another trick I used was to mix any powder with water rather than milk - and I mixed it on the dilute side (like twice as much liquid as per recommended) so they weren't so thick and filling to the point of nauseousness. 

Good luck! Keep playin' with it - you'll find the tolerable level!

I've been drinking Lemonade Isopure. It is still sweeter than I would like, but it is tart enough to balance it out.

There's a Lemonade Isopure? Where do you find it?

I get my isopure drinks from GNC and they have a plethora of flavors including lemonade.

I get my isopure drinks from GNC and they have a plethora of flavors including lemonade.

Vitamin Shoppe doesn't seem to carry it, and it sounds good. I'll have to make the special trip to check it out. Thanks.

Edited by WendyH

Unjury unflavored protein powder is fabulous!  Whatever faint taste it has is masked by the food to which it is added.  Yogurt, chili, ground beef, mashed cauliflower, soups, ricotta bake.  If it can be stirred into or sprinkled onto something try it.  While I've found plenty of doctored shakes since, this is what got me through the early days and I use it regularly today. 

Unjury unflavored doesn't seem to alter the flavor of things and it dissolves very easily.  I've been able to dissolve an entire scoop in 4 ounces of chicken broth.  It makes the broth look slightly cloudy, but all I taste is the broth.  23 grams of protein in just 4 ounces.  It is a nice break from the sweet shakes.

Cheers!

I have not tried the shakes yet, I am post op just 3 days. I too am concerned about getting the protein in during Stage 1-3, until I can eat other protein. I am feeling pretty good today, came home yesterday, I was able to eat some yogurt and NS apple sauce, only enough to add mess imhad to open the capsule...my Dr. Recommended I do that, instead of taking the entire pill, for fear I may not tolerate swallowing it...I am looking forward, knowing that the food list will add more pleasant food choices...time flies quickly. All I can say, is hang in there and try some of the suggestions...but know everyday is a new day! Mood luck!

I am using unjury unflavored and unjury chicken soup to break up the monotony of the sweet shakes. I add them (sometimes half unflavored half chicken) to soup. 

To be honest I had previously been on so many diets that had food much worse than protein shakes.

70s 80s version of slim fast - tasted like liquid gravel and had huge amounts of sugar.

nutrisystem was either canned, mri, or freeze dried.

there were also a plethora of diets like cabbage soup, only certain fruit, drink apple cider or aloe before meals.

A tera's whey shake fully blended is bliss compared to that stuff.

LOL - My first diet memory is the grapefruit and boiled egg diet from the 1960s! Pyuke! Still gag on boiled eggs! I'm with you, no complaints at all with what I'm downing now.

Not sure if someone said this but unjury, which is only available online, was great for me. They have a chicken soup flavor which was so easy for me to get down. They also have unflavored which you can put in your favorite beverage. Good luck

Unflavored Unjury has a slight taste to me. I use Syntrax now and have love every flavor I tried so far. Got samples from Nashua nutrition. I bought some Syntrax unflavored but trying to use up the Unjury first. Unjury chicken soup too salty for me!

I can not tolerate any of the protein shakes I try preop ...Premier protein and boost . They both make me absolutely sick to my stomach now !!

There's a Lemonade Isopure? Where do you find it?

I get them at GNC, although I have a hard time finding them in stores sometimes. I just ordered a few cases online when they were having their buy one get one half off sale. It brought the price down and I don't have to troll every GNC store in my area for at least another month or two! 

I did stop by GNC a few days ago, and the location I was at didn't have lemonade, but it did have pineapple orange banana, which I hadn't tried. It's sitting in my fridge now. I'm not willing to commit to multiple bottles before sampling, and I don't want to put much effort into finding a bottle. I may ask my local Vitamin Shoppe if they would order a few bottles to see how they go over.

Optimum Nutrition's (ON) Isolate Whey from Costco is my current go-to. I also keep a bunch of Syntrax packets

around for travel. If on the go & desperate, i stop into a store & get EAS AdvantEdge, Premier Protein, Muscle Milk light, or Orgain (organic).