Hi everyone!

Ok, from what I've read, around week 3, it is common to have a stall. Last week I was on a kick of losing like a pound a day but I was severely dehydrated. Now that I've replenished and am hydrated, my weight went up a bit but I haven't lost any weight since last week. 

From what I've read this is normal but it would help to just hear it again. My NUT wants me to be on NO pastas, breads, cereals, flours, etc and just focus on the protein. I've been good about it except the occasional bit of rice here and there. I'm worried that I'm messing myself up... AH!

Thanks everyone!! 

Stalls are normal it's true. Your surgeon is right and you do need to focus on protein this early out. You aren't able to eat much so you need to eat things that provide real value, rice doesn't do that.

Stalls are completely normal and should be expected.  Your weightloss will not just be a continuous downward slope;  it will look more like stairs.  Many many people get their first stall at 3 weeks.  I think I didn't get mine till 5.  My weightloss really amped up after about 6 weeks post op.  Also it is is pretty typical to have small "gains" in there as well, not fat gains but water gains.  Particularily around 'that time of the month' for us woman.  Just a normal part of the process the majority of us have to deal with.  

Thank you both! Sometimes it's just nice to hear... I've worked so hard that it's infuriating not to lose weight!!! 

Put your scale away. Seriously. Put it away until you're at least 6 weeks out. Measure success by things can accurately be measured - did you get all of your protein today? Success. Did you get all of your water today? Success. If you follow those measurable things, then the weight loss will take care of itself. Worrying about how many pounds you've lost or not lost will not make the scale budge one iota. All that does is steal your joy and leave you frustrated.

Put your scale away. Seriously. Put it away until you're at least 6 weeks out. Measure success by things can accurately be measured - did you get all of your protein today? Success. Did you get all of your water today? Success. If you follow those measurable things, then the weight loss will take care of itself. Worrying about how many pounds you've lost or not lost will not make the scale budge one iota. All that does is steal your joy and leave you frustrated.

This. A million times this. We say it over and over again in many different ways but sleeve hits the mark best.

I noticed that it's when I drink less that stalls happen. Besides the fact that they happen so that the body re-adjusts. In fact, for the past month I've been battling with loss-gain and I haven't lost anything at all really. Your stall may go away in a matter of a few days and you may see a great loss after that.

i am 3 months post op and i have been on a stall and not moving up or down. 

I noticed that it's when I drink less that stalls happen. Besides the fact that they happen so that the body re-adjusts. In fact, for the past month I've been battling with loss-gain and I haven't lost anything at all really. Your stall may go away in a matter of a few days and you may see a great loss after that.

In fact, after I posted that, I woke up this morning with a great loss, and I am at lowest weight in the past 4 years.

Thank you... I did... except for yesterday. I decided to weigh myself at the mile markers. Yesterday I was one month post op (!!) so I did a weigh in. But now I'm so proud that I'm meeting my goals that it's worth it. :)

I've been avoiding the scale too.  Tuesday will be 6 weeks out for me and haven't lost a pound since the week of surgery. :wacko:

I am in the same boat. I do find though that if I only eat 3-4 small meals spread out through out the day, and stay hydrated and exercise your body kicks in and starts to lose.  My problem is I have no energy to exercise. I am wiped out after 8 hrs of work.  So the only encouragement I can offer is to just live your life normally and your body will take care of the weight loss.  

Hang in there.  

I totally agree with sleevarilla. I have no idea if I had a 3 week stall cause I don't even own a scale. Besides putting the scale away, stay away from the white carbs. The rice, bread, pasta, cereal, flour rules should be taken seriously as they can certainly slow your weight loss and jeaparfize your long term success. Get your carbs from veggies and maybe a little fruit only AFTER you've gotten all your protein and fluids. The other things are non-nutritious empty calories and It's way too soon to be falling back into bad habits. Now that I'm in maintenance I DO eat these things in moderation, but I didn't start till around 6-7 months post.

Edited by ThinCVT

I remember from another post you mentioned you were eating carbs in the morning. Did you try cutting them out and upping your protein and fluids?

Wow I guess we all go through the dreaded stall. I'm going through it right now. Sept 4 will mark 1 month for me and it seems like all weight loss has stopped. I lost 18lbs in the first couple of weeks but nothing since. Although I feel like I'm losing more inches than weight so my hope is not totally diminished. But I just wanted to say thanks for this post because when I start to feel down I read it and draw strength from it.

Sorry your going through this Pmk.  Glad to hear the inches are coming off, measuring is a great way to see progress during a stall.  You've had your stall long enough where it might be useful to change up your eating a bit.  How much protein and how many fluids are you getting, there might be some adjustments that could free things up on the weight loss front.

Is it normal to have a prolonged stall at 3 months post-op? I am doing as much exercise as I can, which is much more than before, but I still lose next to nothing.I am able to drink more than a liter of fluids a day now, too. What is my problem?

What I am gathering is poor carbs = poor weight loss. Being a typical guy, I sucks and continue to sucks as good diet choices. Can anyone one offer a few daily meal plans I could try to get off my stall. ;-o

What I am gathering is poor carbs = poor weight loss. Being a typical guy, I sucks and continue to sucks as good diet choices. Can anyone one offer a few daily meal plans I could try to get off my stall. ;-o

Is it normal to have a prolonged stall at 3 months post-op? I am doing as much exercise as I can, which is much more than before, but I still lose next to nothing.I am able to drink more than a liter of fluids a day now, too. What is my problem?

My longest stall was between 6 and 10 weeks. In fact I gained 3 pounds but dropped a whole pant size. I had been incredibly nauseous from a medication I was on that whole month and had a hard time eating and drinking. Actually had to get IV fluids 3 times for dehydration. Probably only ate 500-600 calories/ day. As soon as I stopped the medication, I doubled my food and water intake and lost 8 pounds in one week. I never had another stall (at least not longer than 2 weeks because I never weighed that often). So with all your excercise I would suggest upping your calories and definitely your fluid.....a liter is still only half of what you should be drinking, at minimum.

Edited by ThinCVT

It's pretty simple....pick a protein and add in a few veggies. Maybe add an occasional fruit as dessert or a snack. just stay away from pasta, rice, bread and sugar. There are dozens of Bariatric food recipe books and websites. google protein recipes or Bariatric recipes. "The world according to eggface" and bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com are two sites with great ideas.

I got my surgery on July 10th, and was losing weight pretty Ok, on average 500 grams per day, but I hit a plateau about three weeks ago. I´ve read it is kind of normal, but most people say they lose inches. In my case - I have not measured- my clothes feel the same.

Have anyone been in this situation? I am getting a bit worried now, although my doctor told me it is normal, but my mindset is not ready for this kind of stall.

THanks

I got my surgery on July 10th, and was losing weight pretty Ok, on average 500 grams per day, but I hit a plateau about three weeks ago. I´ve read it is kind of normal, but most people say they lose inches. In my case - I have not measured- my clothes feel the same.

Have anyone been in this situation? I am getting a bit worried now, although my doctor told me it is normal, but my mindset is not ready for this kind of stall.

THanks

I am losing very slowly. I've been out one month. My "three-week" stall lasted 4 days. I quit weighing myself. Went to see the surgeon yesterday. He was very pleased with my weightloss - 23% of my excess weight since surgery (one month). 35% loss since I began process on June 9th. Even though the numbers seem small, it's all relative. Edited by CollinK

You're probably exercising too much. Many times I've said that the more/harder you exercise the slower your weight loss and the more stalls you have. Gentle exercise for several months post-op. There is time to ramp it up a little down the road.

It's pretty simple....pick a protein and add in a few veggies. Maybe add an occasional fruit as dessert or a snack. just stay away from pasta, rice, bread and sugar. There are dozens of Bariatric food recipe books and websites. google protein recipes or Bariatric recipes. "The world according to eggface" and bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com are two sites with great ideas.

I saw and liked "the world according to eggface. And I've just opened the second one, it's bariatricfoodie.com now. Will check this one, too. Thanks.

About drinking enough, I had the same problem even before the surgery. I just can't put water/tea/coffee into myself if I'm not thirsty. 40-50 oz is all I can take in a day, in winter it's less, or I'll end up with my legs swelling and being sluggish all day. I've never been dehydrated in my life, even when I used to live in extremely hot and dry climate. My blood tests are all good. Everyone is saying that I should drink more, but I just can't.