Jolls

Rededication time - come join me!

As I watch my scale go slowly and assuredly up and up (more then I even want to admit to anyone here) -  it is time for some serious smack-in-the-face commitment and re-dedication on my part.

Maybe you are gaining -  maybe you are not gaining but eating things you shouldn't be again - maybe you need a kickstart in exercise - maybe you need to focus on fluid consumption - maybe you've slacked on taking vitamins.....   if you find yourself 'lacking' in some area and would like to re-dedicate yourself to a course of action or plan -   come join me in September and work on those aspects!

Next week Aug 24-28 I am doing the 5 day pouch test as the first part of my dedication.  I have set it up so I work all week in the office to be sure I stick to the damn plan for the 5 days this time.  I can't seem to make myself do this working at home -  so I am moving myself to the office for a week.  I hate working in the office but I need to kick myself in the butt so this is what I have to do.

The 5 day should (hopefully) cleanse me out and get me on the right track eating wise for phase 2 starting the following week which is September (technically Aug 31st is a monday) and getting back in an exercise routine.   No more paying for a gym membership for 4 or 5 months and never setting foot in it.  I WILL at minimum get to the gym 2 days within the week.  I WILL at minimum get 3 days of walking outside in (45-90min).   Yard work be damned, over time work be damned, house cleaning be damned -   time to stop making excuses and finding reasons to get out of these things.  (I really want that overtime money though)

Edited by cinwa

Love seeing this post, Jolls. I will be there supporting you in dedication and any other way I can.

It's go time.

YES!

Jolls, yes.   I already know that a year, two years, three years from now, when I struggle, I'll remember your ferocity and dedication.  This struggle is for a lifetime.  It was a struggle for a lifetime before the surgery, too, but now we get to win, as long as we keep fighting.  My heart is with you girl.  

I'm a month and a half out, trying to build habits and constantly wobbling and fighting my way back to center.  I know this is the honeymoon period -- build habits now to avoid more suckage later.  Part of my problem is knowing exactly what "center" looks like, so in the spirit of your post, I'm resolving to define "center" for September (it keeps changing right now) and stick.

Go, Jolls!!!   

Rooting for you. I can't wait to get back on track myself. I've allowed myself to eat way too much crap these past few months. 5DPT here I come, soon as I can.

Kudos to you Jolls - you know that you have the support of everyone on this forum.

I'll join you. I have been training like mad and every time I think I want to do the 5dpt, I am coming up on an event. I have training, but no events for about a month. This is the perfect time to give it a go. I'm excited. I'm also shifting gears back to weight training more...which means more gym time which isn't nearly as satisfying for me as pool or open road. We got this!!!

I will join you!!  I am doing ok with the food, occasionally slipping for a treat but I don't want to make it a habit either!!! 

The exercise needs help too.....I swim on the weekends and could kick it up a notch....but it is time to really do something about my arms and stomach!  At the 6 months mark I think I can start really working out....stomach crunches and toning and muscle building.

SO....I am on board and will track what I do....hoping to motivate and be motivated!!!!

Jolls....you can do this!!!  We can all do it together! 

However....I have to know what the 5DPT is.....I have heard it referenced a few times lately.  I will have to do a search but Jolls....tell me what your plan is for that 5 day period.

5 DAY POUCH TEST

Thank you for joining me in the 5 Day Pouch Test program and making it a valued tool in your weight loss surgery toolbox. Countless thousands of people worldwide have successfully used the 5 Day Pouch Test since 2007 to take control of their weight loss surgery tool. Many have lost regained weight and others are reaching a healthy weight after long stalls in weight loss. But more importantly, feelings of failure are replaced with feelings of empowerment, capability, and personal achievement.

This is the 5 day plan that I have developed and used to determine if my pouch is working and return to that tight newbie feeling. And a bonus to this plan, it helps one get back to the basics of the weight loss surgery diet and it triggers weight loss. Also, it is not difficult to follow and if you are in a stage of carb-cycling it will break this pattern. Sounds pretty good, right?

The 5 Day Pouch Test should never leave you feeling hungry. You can eat as much of the prescribed menu as you want during the day to satiate hungry and prevent snacking on slider foods and/or white carbs. You must drink a minimum of 64 ounces of water each day. A reduction of caffeinated beverages is suggested, but do not stop caffeine cold turkey.

Weight loss is not the intent of the 5 Day Pouch Test, however, many who have tried this plan report a significant drop in weight. More importantly they celebrate a renewed sense of control over their pouch and eating habits and easily transition back to a healthy post-surgical weight loss way of eating.

5DPT: Daily Food Plan:
On the 5 Day Pouch Test you will follow a dietary progression beginning with liquid protein and ending with firm protein. This mimics the early dietary progression following surgery. Please click the "Read More" links to see each day in full detail. Hint: There is more to this plan than meets the eye with the seemingly simple dietary progression, please read the plan fully to guarantee your best success with this back-to-basics effort.

Days 1 & 2: Liquid Protein
low-carb protein shakes, broth, clear or cream soups, sugar-free gelatin and pudding.

Day 3: Soft Protein
canned fish (tuna or salmon) eggs, fresh soft fish (tilapia, sole, orange roughy.

Day 4: Firm Protein
ground meat (turkey, beef, chicken, lamb), shellfish, scallops, lobster, fresh salmon or halibut.

Day 5: Solid Protein
white meat poultry, beef steak, pork, lamb, wild game

Good for you Jolls, your re dedication will pay dividends. Go get'em!

I need to get my act together with my vitamins I have totally slipped and my yearly vitamin blood tests are due soon and I am most likely very deficient...I need to go home tonight and organize  my vitamins and take them!

I need to get my act together with my vitamins I have totally slipped and my yearly vitamin blood tests are due soon and I am most likely very deficient...I need to go home tonight and organize  my vitamins and take them!

Me too.

Good for you Jolls. I did the 5DPT and there was something different this time. I wasn't into carbs or overeating, just not losing the regain.  I am happy to report that I am 2 pounds from my goal weight and I can live with that.  I am more active in the summer, but I will join you in stepping up the exercise.  There are 2 reasons.   My activity slows down in the winter and I just want to be stronger.  I think it will help me with my yoga practice as well. 

I admire you for putting it out there as I know it is easy to hide.   I support you fully in your efforts.  If you would like, we could do a check in to see how everyone who chooses to join in is doing.  

I know you can get through the 5 days.  You have taken steps to ensure that.  Self care is not always easy, but you deserve to be treated well and it starts with how we treat ourselves.   Thanks for your honesty it will help a lot of people.  

Jolls, I will join you. I need to focus on getting more fluids in and taking my vitamins on a regular basis. I have stabilized much to my dismay, but I need to stay healthy, even if I'm not losing.

Go Jolls!  You have been such an inspiration to everyone on Thinner Times.  You can do this and everyone is here to support you 100%!

I will join you as well.  Summertime eating on the weekends with a little of this and a little of that at times.............not good especially when you want to lose more and are not at goal.

I could use an additional 10 - 15 oz. of water per day. I need to step up my exercise more. I have been consistently up and down on the scale with  the same pound for 3 months.  I would like to lose an additional 10- 15 lbs.  and it is a real challenge at this point.  I had been to my GP recently and was told that I have at least 10 - 15 lbs. of loose skin and that my real weight is  actually lower and that is probably why it has slowed down.  I look like a melted candle (YIKES) especially around the abdomen.  I would love to have that removed but not sure what insurance will cover.  I guess I am going to have to find out.

Point is- I am IN.  I will support and join you in the "renewal"!!

Go Jolls!  You have been such an inspiration to everyone on Thinner Times.  You can do this and everyone is here to support you 100%!

I AGREE 100%!!!!!!

Good job Jolls! I am with you. I've been travelling a lot and indulging more than is good for me. Count me in starting 8/24. I have one more trip this week. 

Here is my trick for getting myself to the gym. When it feels too daunting (or I am too tired or feel like I need to do other things, etc) to go workout for an hour, I tell myself I just have to walk in the door. Then, if I want, I can leave. Once I am there, I never have left without at least working out for 20 minutes. I don't always workout an hour on those days but 20 minutes is better than nothing. 

I just read this post in the nick of time.  I started my 5DPT today because I have been less than center for a while.  I've lost and gained the same 4 or 5 lbs over and over again the past 2 months or so.  I'm ready to get the scale heading downward again.

Count me in!

Love this, Jolls! I'm rooting for you!

I am going to be heading back to the gym soon too. Although I've managed to keep my weight fairly stable with the injuries over the last few months, (finger reconstruction April 1, broken foot June 17) being so sedentary really showed me how much difference I had made in my measurements by working out regularly. The clothes that were baggy last summer are snug now-and I weigh about the same. I've lost a lot of muscle tone. :(

I am crossing my fingers that I don't do anything else to myself before I can get there! As soon as the broken foot is cleared for action, I'm in!!

I'm in too! I've wanted to try a 5-day pouch test and next week is perfect. Very busy because it's back to school time.

I'm in too! Perfect timing: gotta attend dinners thru Sunday, so Monday will be that fresh start.

I bounce back & forth 4 lbs; haven't really lost in over a month & v. slow the month before that. I'm stable-ish but well above goal. At 8.5 months out, I know I'm in the danger zone: it's all up to me now.

Struggling with a shoulder (and in PT) but can definitely move torso, legs more than I've been doing... Have fallen off vitamins somewhat (esp the D3 & fish oil); I need to improve on that. And must quit eating till stuffed--while watching TV. And cut back on fats & CARBS. For some crazy reason, I've recently been sampling triscuits, "healthy" chips, fruit (yes berries are great--but it's been nectarines the size of a baby's head). And way too much dairy. 

Plus it's so important to get a grip on this before the start of "eating season" (Halloween/Thanksgiving/the entire month of December).

Thank you so much for suggesting this--and for your resolve. With you in the lead, we're sure to succeed! (Hey, that rhymes)

Edited by saguaro68

Inner thighs and under arm dedication!  My eating isnt awesome so I could tweak some snacks.  Im right there with you on the dedication week to start a routine from home, nothing fancy just a few routine exercises to tone a big of saggy skin.  Also found a cellulite/saggy skin scrub that can be made from home.  Who knows, maybe its the secret rub we all need.  Will try to use every day as well.  And finally, I have to be done smoking by the end of September, so here we go with the quitting (again) reducing my cigarettes by one or two a day until im at zero!

So starting Monday:

Cleaner eating

toning exercises

reducing smoking

Jolls, if it were not for you last night, I would have caved on this 5DPT.  Ugh!  I did great while I was at work, but when I got home, I really wanted to eat.  I was hungry, but it wasn't anything that could not be remedied by drinking another shake.  I literally paced the floor at times between the kitchen and the living room.  My addiction is real.

I made it through day one much the same way I made it through my pre-op liver shrinking diet - by lying to myself and saying I only had to get through today.  I made it through Tuesday.  Let's see how Wednesday goes.