Send Me Your Book Recommendations for Overcoming Food Addictions/Emotional/comfort eating

I am in the first stages of preparing for WLS and know I have issues with emotional eating/food addiction.  I was also bulimic in the past.  I do plan on starting therapy with the psychologist at my surgeon's office, but I also want to start work on my own.  I looked into OA but it doesn't seem like the right fit for me.  My goal is to do as much of the hard work as possible to beat my addiction and maintain recovery while having the extra boost the "honeymoon stage" provides.  I have read a lot of your posts, and it's clear: do the head work and don't blow your honeymoon phase!" I hear you!!!

I would love to hear about books anyone has read that really helped you.  Thanks in advance! xo

The Emotional First Aid Kit - A Practical Guide to Life After Baritric Surgery by Cynthia Alexander

Thank you! I got the wrong book, I got "The emotional toolkit" by darlene mininni.  But! so far it's a great read.  I'm glad to see there is one specifically for bariatric patients.  I read Geneen's books a long time ago, Spunky.  I remember at the time I was kind of non-plussed but that was over 20 years ago. I probably still have the books at my parent's house.  I should dig them up :)

• 5 weeks later...

I am gong to a 3 day workshop with Geneen Roth in October.  I also read her book many years ago.  I did her online retreat about 6 months ago.  What she has to say resonates with me more now.  I think she deals more with the emotional issues.  She does have guidelines about eating which I have been able to incorporate with my food plan.  

The Neuroscience of Change: A Compassion-Based Program for Personal Transformation

May 15, 2012 |

Unabridged

by Kelly McGonigal

Audible Audio Edition

The audio is better because there are exercises and meditations.

I am gong to a 3 day workshop with Geneen Roth in October.  I also read her book many years ago.  I did her online retreat about 6 months ago.  What she has to say resonates with me more now.  I think she deals more with the emotional issues.  She does have guidelines about eating which I have been able to incorporate with my food plan.

Would minding sending me the info on the 3 day workshop via PM.

Thanks

The Emotional First Aid Kit - A Practical Guide to Life After Baritric Surgery by Cynthia Alexander

Bumping the topic to say that this really is a fantastic read and definitely good stuff for thought - I recommend it heartily to all going on - or even *thinking* of going on - this journey.

• 2 weeks later...

Great recommendations - are there any books specifically on 'head hunger' and how to manage comfort eating?

Great recommendations - are there any books specifically on 'head hunger' and how to manage comfort eating?

The Neuroscience of Change uses food as the prime example in the exercises.  Highly recommend this in the audio form for the guided exercises and meditation.  

I don't know why I never got notifications of these replies! Thank you so much.  I am still making my way through the emotional first aid kit- the guide to living after bariatric surgery. I love it.  I will probably re-read it after I'm done and will keep it close at hand for ongoing guidance.  

The Neuroscience of Change sounds like an amazing read and I will definitely read it when I'm done my current book.  I may check Geneen Roth out again, I am much older than the first time I read her books. 

Thanks to you guys for your replies and please, keep the list growing! I love reading, especially when I can learn how to navigate through challenges with them! xo