Do you count the calories for these in your daily I take total?

I've never logged vitamins or other supplements - it's really a personal choice. 

I did not include any calories from my multivitamins and calcium etc.

I don't know if you're aware but Viactiv is calcium carbonate.  That is a very poor form of calcium for anyone let alone a gastric bypass patient.

The asmbs.org (the body who designate bariatric hospitals/clinic as Bariatric Centers of Excellence) recommends 1,500 mg of calcium citrate (+ vitaminD) daily ("Combined dietary and supplemental calcium intake 1700 mg/d may be required to prevent bone loss during rapid weight loss").  

When I was taking 6 Bariatric Advantage Chewy Bites (YUM!) each day, they added up to over 100 cals so I counted those calories. But I now take in fewer than 50 calories a day and I don't log them. I think it depends on you... and where you are in your WLS process.

This is an interesting topic, I currently log my vitamins and have been wondering if I should continue to. All of my vitamins add up to 45 calories, in a way it doesn't seem like I should log them, however my compulsion to log tends to get the best of me. :)

I don't know if you're aware but Viactiv is calcium carbonate. That is a very poor form of calcium for anyone let alone a gastric bypass patient.

The asmbs.org (the body who designate bariatric hospitals/clinic as Bariatric Centers of Excellence) recommends 1,500 mg of calcium citrate (+ vitaminD) daily ("Combined dietary and supplemental calcium intake 1700 mg/d may be required to prevent bone loss during rapid weight loss").

This is quite concerning! I'm taking those because that's what they told me to take. I was told to take two a day but I've always taken three because I'm concerned about bone loss. I need to discuss this with the office immediately. Suggestion for something better?

This is an interesting topic, I currently log my vitamins and have been wondering if I should continue to. All of my vitamins add up to 45 calories, in a way it doesn't seem like I should log them, however my compulsion to log tends to get the best of me. :)

I log absolutely everything!

I don't log my vitamins, although I can see the logic of doing so. I figure that it's a very small number of calories, and there's enough estimation inherent to logging that it's pretty close to a wash.

This is quite concerning! I'm taking those because that's what they told me to take. I was told to take two a day but I've always taken three because I'm concerned about bone loss. I need to discuss this with the office immediately. Suggestion for something better?

If you need chewables, both Celebrate and Bariatric Advantage offer lozenge and chew type calcium citrate.  Early out, I used UpCal D powder.  It comes in sachets and a tub and it can me mixed with any liquid, hot or cold.

If you need chewables, both Celebrate and Bariatric Advantage offer lozenge and chew type calcium citrate. Early out, I used UpCal D powder. It comes in sachets and a tub and it can me mixed with any liquid, hot or cold.

Thank you Cinwa! My surgeons recommendations recently changed and they said 2 Viactiv, 1000 sublingual B12, and two flintstones complete. I'm less than three months out and haven't had post op blood work drawn yet. I'm concerned now about their recommendations!! If anyone has any input on them I'm open!! The last thing I want is a deficiency!

Raeme,

Calcium carbonate needs stomach acid to be absorbed.  A gastric bypass patient (RNY or DS) has their stomach bypassed. 

Calcium citrate can taken with or without food because it isn't reliant on our stomach acid.  Calcium carbonate needs the acid from the stomach so it should be taken with food. 

Calcium citrate has superior bioavailability than calcium carbonate in RYGB patients. 

Blood work will only show what calcium is in your blood, not what's in your bones and if you don't get enough calcium, your body will pull it from the bones in order to keep your blood calcium levels normal.

The other thing is that blood work will only show the calcium in your blood - not what's stored in your bones.  For that, you need a DEXA/DXA bone scan.

Thank you! I appreciate you responding and sharing! I learn something new almost every day on here and I'm very glad I learned about calcium citrate! I ordered Upcal D today and it will be here by Wednesday!

I've been reading more about vitamins and have more questions. I was originally given a list from the surgeons office and preop had decided on and ordered bariatric advantage multi and b12.

Just before surgery they changed the recommendations and said two flintstones and b12 and 2 Viactiv were good. I was going to just take what I already purchased but had a really hard time getting them down. The nut suggested at about a month out to try the newer option. I now know thanks to this forum that was wrong!! So I I go back to the bariatric advantage what exactly do I need? I haven't been told anything about iron. I see the doc on Tuesday morning and want to be very clear. I don't know if the doc knows what the nut is saying but I'm going to find out! Can someone let me know if this seems complete?

Morning. 3 bariatric advantage chews plus one scoop upcal d plus 1 bariatric advantage b12

Lunch 3 bariatric advantage chews plus 1 bariatric calcium chew (at work)

Dinner time One scoop upcal d

Bedtime bariatric advantage chewable iron 30mg

Does this cover everything and the correct timing?

I think your doctor ( surgeon ) is the only one to give you a list of vitamins and minerals you need to take they are all different . List is a copy of what my surgeon is going to have me take until I go back for blood work then he will make adjustments .post-55237-0-83376800-1439127140_thumb.j

Morning. 3 bariatric advantage chews plus one scoop upcal d plus 1 bariatric advantage b12

Lunch 3 bariatric advantage chews plus 1 bariatric calcium chew (at work)

Dinner time One scoop upcal d

Bedtime bariatric advantage chewable iron 30mg

Does this cover everything and the correct timing?

Programmes differ.  But the asmbs.org recommendation is for 200% RDA vitamins and minerals and 1,500mg calcium citrate with D.  Table 5 of this document:  ASMBS Allied Health Nutritional Guidelines for the Surgical Weight Loss Patient

This is my schedule for the basics:

AM:  Multivitamin, 500mg calcium citrate (plus dry form vitamin D3, Coromega etc.).

Lunch:  500mg calcium citrate

PM:  Multivitamin, 500mg calcium citrate

Evening:  Iron (at least an hour before bed).

Programmes differ.  But the asmbs.org recommendation is for 200% RDA vitamins and minerals and 1,500mg calcium citrate with D.  Table 5 of this document:  ASMBS Allied Health Nutritional Guidelines for the Surgical Weight Loss Patient

This is my schedule for the basics:

AM:  Multivitamin, 500mg calcium citrate (plus dry form vitamin D3, Coromega etc.).

Lunch:  500mg calcium citrate

PM:  Multivitamin, 500mg calcium citrate

Evening:  Iron (at least an hour before bed).

Why do you take the iron at least an hour before going to bed?

Why do you take the iron at least an hour before going to bed?

To ensure that the iron supplement is well down in my lower gut.  Iron (and other medications) can cause major irritation if it starts to dissolve in the throat etc.

It's always worth reading the small print ... my iron states " .... best taken on an empty stomach 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals. If stomach upset occurs, you may take this medication with food. Avoid taking antacids, dairy products, tea, or coffee within 2 hours before or after this ... Take with a full glass of water (8 ounces or 240 milliliters).  Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking this medicine.... ".  I had a couple of instances of some reflux - my pharmacist suggested waiting a little longer before going to bed and that seemed to work.

I use carbonyl and polysaccharide irons and both have similar statements.

Showed up at the doctors office this morning and my appointment isn't until September. I put it in my phone wrong. Gonna take the bariatric vitamins and calcium til then at least.

Showed up at the doctors office this morning and my appointment isn't until September. I put it in my phone wrong. Gonna take the bariatric vitamins and calcium til then at least.

Oh, don't you hate that? I showed up a month early to my son's 18 month checkup.

Oh, don't you hate that? I showed up a month early to my son's 18 month checkup.

Yes! I had a dentist appointment too and thought I was being so efficient by scheduling them on the same morning!! When I walked into the surgeon's office I said I'm a little early. Yeah! Like a month! It was pretty funny!

I have to ask my NUT anout the Flinstones because she did say 2 but then she did say take the adult dose. The bottle says the adult dose is 1 ..... But I see Raeme is taking 2 Flinstones .... I don't want to be less than I should be taking. I go in for my 1 month follow up next Monday the 24th. She also said that after that appt is when I will begin taking the rest of my vitamins ..... I have only been taking my Flinstone multi vitamin right now. I thought that was odd. But I was following the plan. :)

I have to ask my NUT anout the Flinstones because she did say 2 but then she did say take the adult dose. The bottle says the adult dose is 1 ..... But I see Raeme is taking 2 Flinstones .... I don't want to be less than I should be taking. I go in for my 1 month follow up next Monday the 24th. She also said that after that appt is when I will begin taking the rest of my vitamins ..... I have only been taking my Flinstone multi vitamin right now. I thought that was odd. But I was following the plan. :)

Lex - Raeme is a gastric bypass patient, not VSG.

Generally, VSG patients aren't required to take more than the 100% RDA.  According to the ASMBS.org, gastric bypass  patients (RNY and DS) require 200%.  DS require even higher levels of high levels of vitamins A, D, E, and K).

Ooohhhhh thank you!!!! I am learning new things every day!! Thank you so much. :) I was worried. Thank you :)

I am sorry for digging this up. I was hoping to find something good on Viactiv while I vitamin shop on Amazon.  I wish these were good for bypass patients :/ …. esp when you can get like a 90-count for $10 (vs $35 for a 90-count in some other brands).  **sighs**

On 8/2/2015 at 7:29 PM, cinwa said:

I did not include any calories from my multivitamins and calcium etc.

I don't know if you're aware but Viactiv is calcium carbonate.  That is a very poor form of calcium for anyone let alone a gastric bypass patient.

On 6/20/2019 at 1:09 PM, TheJuice202 said:

I am sorry for digging this up. I was hoping to find something good on Viactiv while I vitamin shop on Amazon.  I wish these were good for bypass patients :/ …. esp when you can get like a 90-count for $10 (vs $35 for a 90-count in some other brands).  **sighs**

Early out we couldn't take tablet form calcium citrate.  Check around for calcium citrate powder - my choice was UpCalD - pretty much tasteless, has the all important vitamin D3 in it so you could dump it in your drinks, yogurt etc. etc.  I don't remember seeing it in stores but it's available online.  The cans are cheaper than the sachets.  And check out the internet for calcium citrate powder but don't forget to take a low dose vitamin D3 with it.

And if all else fails, look for capsule form - you could pull the ends apart and use the powder as mentioned above.

It'll only be a short while post-op before you'll be able to take tablet or capsule form.