curlygirljaime

I need buddies and mentors.. October 2015 surgery in nv

Looking for support as surgery draws near. Time to prepare myself for this journey. I'd like to hook up with a few locals as well as online buddies. I'm 38 married and just starting..

Where in Nevada? I'm in Reno.

Winnemucca

I noticed you just had your surgery.. congrats!

This whole forum is full of buddies and mentors!

I'm having surgery October 6th.  I don't live in Nevada, but I could use some buddies too!!

Jolls is correct - this is a wonderful place to get support.  You won't finder a nicer or more helpful group of people.  Best of luck as you begin your journey!

I'm having surgery October 6th.  I don't live in Nevada, but I could use some buddies too!!

My surgery is scheduled Oct. 20th.  so hope it goes well for you.

Best to you both on a speedy recovery and to your wonderful new life journey !

Mike

Where in Nevada? I'm in Reno.

winnemucca

surgery is in reno though.. thought id have my date by now. Waiting. I'm on phase 2 of my preop diet and already down 35 lbs. They want me to lose 8 more.. so I think I'm going to skip to phase 3 ( all liquid ) to get there.. the anticipation is killing me.. just want to be post op.

Desisz okay sounds good.  I have pre-op testing next Tuesday!!!

Good luck at your appointment!! My pre-op is Monday!! Let me know how it goes & I will do the same.  

Got my date! October 16th!!! 3 weeks away!!

Awesome!!!

Super stoked!!!! Any advice? What r u packing? I figured robe , slippers, socks in case my feet get cold, comfy PJs, toothbrush, mouthwash, panties.. a loose dress in case I can't stand the PJ bottoms. Two pillows for the 3 hr drive. ChapStick and lotion. My kindle, phone and charger.. am I forgetting something that will improve my experience? I have crazy curly hair.. so that will be in a french braid to try to contain the knots until I can shower use conditioner and detangle properly... I plan on sleeping or walking as much as I can until I'm released.

My surgery is October 6th I'm getting really nervous, but excited.  You sound all good with the packing.  I was told to get the Gas X strips.  

Good thinking.. I'm nervous about the gas pain.

Me too.  I just want a o get through this.  I'm getting nervous 

B-) I'm not too nervous yet. I have complete faith in my surgeon's skills. But I know as it gets closer my anxiety will heighten. I think I may have had a slight case of denial. Part of me cannot believe this is really going to happen. I'm on a all liquid pre op diet and its all getting real. Real quick. I absolutely hate protein shakes. They are  really gross. I have NOT been drinking 3 a day. Just one. I got to find a way to make them more appealing. I been drinking green drinks ( power greens) for breakfast , shake for dinner and water the rest of the time. Yesterday was day 3 & I ate some cream of mushroom soup to soothe my need for not sweet and warm comfort. I know it was not the best choice but it's what I had on hand. I'm going to get some low salt veggie broth and miso soup so I have better options if I stray from the shakes again. I'm trying to be good but it's a struggle. I'm really hungry and sick of sweet and I still have 18 days till surgery to endure plus recovery.  It's more difficult on me emotionally than I thought it would be. I want meat! It's going to be a while before I can get some of my protein intake from meat and that is sad. However the pace of my weight loss has picked up since going all liquid and its good to see my # drop. The more I lose now the more successful surgery will be.

Are there any good shakes out there? What do you all do to make them better?? Is there any other liquid protein?? I just want to get through this phase..  I'm going through a difficult moment.

s

Are there any good shakes out there? What do you all do to make them better?? Is there any other liquid protein?? I just want to get through this phase..  I'm going through a difficult moment.

Hang in there. It gets better. A couple of thoughts on protein supplements. First is they don't need to be shakes. Many people (including me) use the Isopure RTD. It's still sweet, but it's fruit flavored. You can buy them at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe. Many around here (me excluded) like Syntrax Nectar. Many, many fruit flavors available. You can get samples from nashuanutrition.com. Unjury makes chicken broth flavored protein powder for a more savory taste. And there are unflavored protein powders available. You could probably mix unflavored protein with broth then heat (mix first, because if protein powder hits hit liquid it clumps).

I particularly like Bodytech 100% whey protein isolate in French Vanilla. It's not sickly sweet, and I like the texture better than most shakes. It doesn't contain a thickening agent and consequently mixes to the viscosity of water. It also mixes really easily. You don't even need a blender bottle to get it completely blended.

I started off using Carnation Instant Breakfast for my 6 week post surgery. They were tasty for a few weeks. But after a while, I got bored and began to drink a yogurt, milk and fruit shake. I varied the kinds of juices, fruits and milk to give me a little variety. I lost about 15 lbs in those first 6 weeks. It was nice. I tried my best to focus on the weight loss and think positive thoughts. You can expect that the joy of weight loss will outweigh the monotony of the drinks.

I'm doing well.. just not getting enough protein in. I find a pure water fast easier than this.I drink a 6 oz power greens mid morning.. lots of water and a shake later in the day. I find it difficult to get more in. I hate them. I really do. Its sip gag sip gag.. takes a long time for me to get it all down and I'm still Pre op.

I'm on day 3 of the liquid diet. I'm finding that the PB2 shake, cocoa shake and coffee shake are making this tolerable. It's definitely hard. 

My surgery date is 10/12 at 6am! When's yours? 

Hang in there!!!!