It kind of grossed me out!  I was talking to my nutritionist Wednesday, once again, complaining of my love/hate relationship with my band and that I do have a fear of going into surgery and not knowing the outcome.  So I told her I had watched a sleeve surgery and she looked at me with big eyes and says "Wasn't it awesome?"  Nope, not in the least.  She proceeded to tell me that she loved watching my surgeon do the surgery and has watched many surgeries.  She says the sleeve is an "elegant" operation.  LOL.  Not to me!  She told me not to watch anymore videos.  

She also helped me realize that my quality of life really does suck now with the band problems and the sleeve may serve me better for all the lifestyle changes I've made I may get more "bang for my buck" as she put it.  I just need to give them the OK to start insurance approval.  8/20 is the day...I see my surgeon for a band followup.  That's my decision making day.  

I never watched a video and never will.  I don't care to see what the surgery is like, my only concern is and was on what the outcomes will be.  I don't need a video to know that.

Glad to hear your process is moving along, congrats.

I wouldn't describe any surgery as "elegant". It's generally kind of barbaric in my estimation. I do, however, greatly respect medicine and the skill involved. I don't get grossed out by it, but I'm pretty much enthralled with physiology and how the body works so maybe that's why I like it - but not in any macabre kind of way!

Edited by Sleevarilla

I've watched a few -  but then again I watch Discovery Health all the time too and back in the day they used to show various surgeries all the time.  I find such things fascinating.  Each to their own.

Either the sleeve or the bypass will help you lose weight( as long as you are eating on your plan).

I've watched an RNY, but can't bring myself to watch a sleeve op.

I will tell people who think surgery is an easy way out to watch a video of an operation

I even asked my surgeon for a video of my surgery, but he couldn't do it. (Several Mexico surgeons do send you home with a DVD of the procedure) He explained the laparoscopic viewing equipment he had did not have recording capability. My sister offered to come in and video the screen with her phone, but my surgeon just laughed and politely declined. So alas, I had to settle for just the written OR report.

At one of my first surgeon appointments, I asked my surgeon if I could keep my stomach. I asked him to just throw it in some formalin in a jar for me. It's mine, I should get to keep it. He laughed at me - and told me "No."

Edited by Sleevarilla

I wanted to ask my surgeon if I could keep my stomach in a jar too (I wanted to gross my brothers out) but with all the hoo-har with getting a cannula in for GA and then they tried and failed to get the artery one in TWICE while awake, I forgot.  I was really curious to see how big the bit they were removing was.

I have my surgery video on a zip drive... Haven't had a chance to watch it yet though.

• 2 weeks later...

I asked the doc to at least take a picture of my stomach. We'll see if they follow through.

It kind of grossed me out!  I was talking to my nutritionist Wednesday, once again, complaining of my love/hate relationship with my band and that I do have a fear of going into surgery and not knowing the outcome.  So I told her I had watched a sleeve surgery and she looked at me with big eyes and says "Wasn't it awesome?"  Nope, not in the least.  She proceeded to tell me that she loved watching my surgeon do the surgery and has watched many surgeries.  She says the sleeve is an "elegant" operation.  LOL.  Not to me!  She told me not to watch anymore videos.  

She also helped me realize that my quality of life really does suck now with the band problems and the sleeve may serve me better for all the lifestyle changes I've made I may get more "bang for my buck" as she put it.  I just need to give them the OK to start insurance approval.  8/20 is the day...I see my surgeon for a band followup.  That's my decision making day.  

Personally, I found it very comforting that I knew (or at least had an idea) of what was going on.... GOOD LUCK!

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't quite sure if I really wanted to see a video of the surgery for a while myself, but curiosity got the better of me. It answered a lot of questions I had and calmed some of my fear of the unknown. I realize it's not for everyone, but it really is amazing what they can achieve, and just how fast the procedure goes.

Ha, that was a big nope for me. If I saw it beforehand I don't know that I would have gone through with it. I'm ok with it being mysterious.

like magic, but with cameras and knives. 

I watched a sleeve surgery video early in my decision process. I didn't want bypass, and I didn't know if I was willing to have most of my stomach physically removed from my body. Within a day of seeing how it was done, my decision was made, and I was at peace with it.

The part I found the funniest was when they use the bag to remove the sectioned off stomach. It looked like a ziploc bag.

I wasn't quite sure if I really wanted to see a video of the surgery for a while myself, but curiosity got the better of me. It answered a lot of questions I had and calmed some of my fear of the unknown. I realize it's not for everyone, but it really is amazing what they can achieve, and just how fast the procedure goes.

My friend just had sleeve on Wed.  They took her back to prep at 7:45, she was out by 9:50!  Quick!

I have watched three videos of the sleeve being done and I felt so much better after watching. I had so many questions about the staples...they are very different than the ones used for a csection. I kept thinking of course those would leak but seeing the instrument that is used I felt relieved, amazed and safe in my decision.

That's gotta be a funny pic going through the x-ray at the airport. All those staples probably look like the zipper on a pair of jeans!

a surgery I watched seemed really crude.  There were all these clip-like looking staples kind of reminded me of a "roach clip" all up the staple line and they seemed loose and would poke other organs.  When they were done the surgeon put the liver back and all I could think was these clips were going to rub or poke it!  Not sure that is how it's done today, I certainly hope not!

Yep, that sounds about right. There are tons of VSG surgeries on YouTube. Maybe check them out to see if they are the same as the one you watched. As far as I know, they still use the same stapling/cauterizing device as they always have. Many surgeons then go the next step and either apply tissue glue to the staple line or oversew the staple line so it's buried within a fold of stomach tissue (that's what my surgeon did).

My surgeon also glues over the staple line and puts the additional clips in, which are done to help prevent twisting.