Florida Girl

Nutritional Info - Pregnancy after WLS

I'm posting information my nutritionist sent me in hopes it can be helpful to others. This is based on my height/weight (180s and 5'6) so your needs may vary based on your size.

Protein - 65-80 grams per day. I was surprised to find that you CAN get too much protein and it's harmful to the fetus. I have to cut way back as I currently get 100-130 grams per day because I mainly eat seafood.

Carbs - 100-120 grams per day.

Calories - 1500-1800 per day. No less than 1500. (I nearly fell out of my chair).

Normal BMI should gain 15-25 lbs, overweight 11-18 over the course of the pregnancy.

Now this is where I get frustrated.

I'm considered overweight - the extra 20 lbs of excess skin I'm carrying doesn't factor into the equation, apparently - so I should gain 18 lbs maximum and I've already gained seven (I'm ten weeks). I average 1000-1100 calories per day and have been dutifully trying to up my carbs since my NUT insists babies need the glucose, hence the weight gain. Here's the kicker:

I need to up my calories by A THIRD, incorporate MORE carbs into my diet, yet not gain any weight. Seriously???  :eek:

I've had to stop weightlifting and am supposed to exercise lightly because I'm high risk, so exercise is a joke compared to what I used to do.

I've played with MFP half the day trying to get a combination which keeps my carbs around 100 and my protein no more than 80, but I can't get a combo that has calories over 1100 without having sky high carbs and eating seven or eight times a day. I requested that my NUT send me a sample meal plan cause I just can't wrap my head around this.

It's not the nutrients I worry about - I ate garbage and mainlined soda with my first two boys and they are healthy as horses. This one will be much better nourished, even with the calorie restriction. I just don't want to blow up.

Wow, this is fascinating.

Don't worry too much about the seven pounds you already gained. You know that liver shrinking diet we do pre-op? It works in reverse. Up your carbs, and you pick up some water weight. Yes it's weight, but it's not fat, and it's not baby. It's your new starting point. Consider also that if you'd had plastics before the pregnancy, you wouldn't be overweight. It's not excuses, it's reality. Follow the directions you're given and don't stress too much about every pound. If any of your health care providers have questions or concerns, whip out your food journal so you can talk specifics about what changes they want you to make (if any, once they see what you're actually doing).

ETA: Those extra calories you can't seem to get to work right in your equation are from fat.

Edited by WendyH

Don't worry too much about the seven pounds you already gained. You know that liver shrinking diet we do pre-op? It works in reverse. Up your carbs, and you pick up some water weight. Yes it's weight, but it's not fat, and it's not baby. It's your new starting point. Consider also that if you'd had plastics before the pregnancy, you wouldn't be overweight. It's not excuses, it's reality. Follow the directions you're given and don't stress too much about every pound. If any of your health care providers have questions or concerns, whip out your food journal so you can talk specifics about what changes they want you to make (if any, once they see what you're actually doing).

ETA: Those extra calories you can't seem to get to work right in your equation are from fat.

Just wanted to come back and let you know that you are right. Of the seven lbs I gained I've already lost three. I think my body was just adjusting to the shock of eating carbs again after nearly two years.

I am in the same boat. I am not gaining weight though. I am only 14 weeks at this point and have not gained. My chiropractor told me he thinks I am still losing but maintaining because baby is growing (the size of a 1/2 banana!). As much as it pains me, I made an appointment with my NUT to make sure I'm ok. My blood work looks awesome. My OB said I should only gain 10 lbs with pregnancy. Seeing as the baby weighs 7lbs or so, I am not sure how that is possible unless I continue to lose weight while pregnant. Hmm.

As for food, I am protein adverse right now, at meat. I loved LOVED chicken beforehand and have almost entirely switched to beans, dairy, and seafood as my main sources of protein. Protein shakes make me so nauseous I have given up on them. My fiance and I joke around because I have always loved Mexican, and now it is the only thing I want to eat. Somehow, slow cooked Mexican chicken sits just fine despite my protein aversion, so I am having enchiladas for lunch with guacamole and a spoonful of rice and beans. Last night I had a Mexican salad with corn, beans, cheese, peppers, and cilantro with a lime vinaigrette. Mmm.

Ah, this pregnancy stuff is definitely more challenging being sleeved, but the end will be worth it, right? :) How are you doing with eating/cravings, Florida Girl?

Actually I've lost nearly all the weight I gained...so much for freaking out over it. I've been craving Mexican, curry, and salty food like MAD, which is what I craved with both my sons. This translates into tacos and shrimp noodles loaded with curry.

I'm not worrying so much about carbs now. What has been plaguing me is constipation, which was a problem in a previous pregnancy. It got so bad Thursday I had to leave work early, and once it was resolved my abdominal muscles were sore all the next day. I've been popping prunes like crazy...hopefully that will help.

Eleven weeks as of yesterday. We told our boys last week - the nine year old is excited and the five year old is...not. :)

Thank you for this information! I am 10 months post op and 17 weeks pregnant. I am having a hard time gaining weight. I have lost 13lbs since finding out I was pregnant. My surgeon's office didn't want to see me and told me to just follow up with my OB. :( These guidelines are helpful since I wasn't given any information.

Thanks for this. I wasn't given anything like it! Nice to have something to work with...tired of "winging it."

The only suggestion I was given was the diet for Gestational Diabetes...which is INSANE for a WLS patient. There's no way I can eat 2-3 servings of protein AND a full cup of brown rice AND a veg (for example) and call it ONE meal. My stomach would explode. And there's no way I can eat 175g of HEALTHY carbs per day, while still meeting my protein goal--not possible.

Definitely grateful for your post, OP.

This is a page out of the "sample meals" section of the GD packet they gave me. There's just no way...

post-49858-0-77555600-1437069205_thumb.j

Hello! I'm 7 months pregnant and you might actually loose weight in the first trimester. I doubled my supplements every other day, and pay very much attention to your iron intake. Ferritin levels, b12 and folate. I do NEED the carbs! I found out the hard way through hypoglycemic episodes, but found that whole grains/wheat works best. I eat every 2-3 hours and as the pregnancy has progressed I've noticed I need to eat smaller portions. Just make sure you watch your iron levels. It is the only thing giving problems as I don't seem to be able to intake enough read meats, and our bodies do not absorb at the same rate. I have requested an iron infusion, but my ob wants to wait another month to see how I respond to supplements even though I know my levels will NOT be back to normal in such a short amount of time. Besides iron levels, I have a perfectly healthy pregnancy. Baby is doing great! And I'm very excited! Congrats fellow future mommies!!!!!

Hello! I'm 7 months pregnant and you might actually loose weight in the first trimester. I doubled my supplements every other day, and pay very much attention to your iron intake. Ferritin levels, b12 and folate. I do NEED the carbs! I found out the hard way through hypoglycemic episodes, but found that whole grains/wheat works best. I eat every 2-3 hours and as the pregnancy has progressed I've noticed I need to eat smaller portions. Just make sure you watch your iron levels. It is the only thing giving problems as I don't seem to be able to intake enough read meats, and our bodies do not absorb at the same rate. I have requested an iron infusion, but my ob wants to wait another month to see how I respond to supplements even though I know my levels will NOT be back to normal in such a short amount of time. Besides iron levels, I have a perfectly healthy pregnancy. Baby is doing great! And I'm very excited! Congrats fellow future mommies!!!!!