Idea! What do you think?

JennaG2014

I love love love to bake. I also love to cook. It is no mystery why I got so heavy. I am (tooting my own horn here) also pretty good at it. The act of being in the kitchen and creating different dishes takes me to a zen like place. The problem here is obvious. Cooking and baking like crazy = eating like crazy = gaining weight and destroying all that I have done in the last 4 years.

The only thing that I love better than eating my creations is having others eat my creations. I am not capable of going to culinary school or opening my own diner because I suffer from physical disabilities that prevent me from it. However, I cannot go into the kitchen bake like a storm and then throw the food away. 

So here is my idea... I thought that it would be great to just follow my heart and get into the kitchen whenever the mood strikes. I will bake what I want, when i want (or when my body will let me) and then make good use of the goods I have baked. LOL  I am going to help out volunteers! There is a local Habitat for Humanity. As well as a few other charitable organizations that rely on the support of volunteers. I thought about getting a list of builds and/or volunteer functions and donate my goods. 

I really miss being able to volunteer. I miss the camaraderie, the feeling of accomplishment, etc. I have been pretty trapped inside my home and the recent changes in the health of my grandparents has had me in a downward spiral emotionally. It is NEVER easy to face the impending passing of someone that you love. In the past, I would cook and bake up a storm and then eat the spoils of that activity. But what if I can get the peace that comes from being in the kitchen and still manage to help out?

I don't know if they will even allow it, but I am really excited to find out and, even if one agency won't allow my goodies, maybe another will.

My mother thinks that it would be playing with fire. That if I bake, I am going to eat. What she doesn't know is that I have already been doing all the baking and sending the goods to my husbands job and giving the items away to neighbors for the past 3 months and I haven't gained any weight. 

What do you think? Be honest, I can take it. Thanks

I think that's a wonderful idea.

I love to bake and having WLS didn't change that although I didn't start baking again until about 6 months out because like you, I liked eating my pies, cakes and cookies a little too much pre-op.

But I found that I no longer needed to eat those things and interestingly, I enjoy making them as much as I ever did and I'm happy to give them to others to enjoy.

I think your idea is great!  Habitat welcomes food at their build sites - give them a call, I'm sure they'd appreciate a new volunteer.  How about using your talents to thank the staff at your local EMS, fire station, police department, etc?  Maybe you could identify a few elderly folks in your community and stop by for a visit with some small portions for them.  You would be able to enjoy creating items in your kitchen whenever you are in the mood/physically able and what a blessing you would be to others!

I love to cook and bake. I think it's a great idea! I send it to work or home with my adult kids who don't have time to bake. I find if I drink while baking it also helps; the golden 30 minute rule

Okay, I'm going to be the Debbie Downer. If you shouldn't eat those foods, is it really right to push them on other people? We all have our own accountabilities, but a big cause of the obesity epidemic in this country (heck, in this world) is that calories are cheap, plentiful, and convenient, whereas we have to work harder at securing and consuming nutrition. To serve the altruistic side of your plan, showing up with bags of apples and packs of string cheese would be a better service.

On the other hand, baking is relatively cheap entertainment, minute by minute much cheaper than even going to see a movie. It is not a crime, and it is not a sin to throw food in the garbage. The act of baking can provide the fulfilment on its own.

Try making something yummy, take some pictures as a memento of your experience that day to document your memories, and then throw it in the garbage. You'll likely feel anxiety doing that, but if you tried it a few times, you might actually find it empowering to derive your fulfilment from the act of baking rather than the voyeuristic act of eating.

Relatively speaking, it's cheap entertainment, even if it goes straight to the landfill.

I think that is great.  Taking goodies by local police, fire, ems stations is always a joy.  Also, by schools (for staff)- they love goodies.  Like you said giving to Habitat or even taking some to a homeless shelter.  

While no one should indulge with a lot of baked goods, it you take some to places like this they eat one a piece not that many.  You can even try to make the good healthier, like using applesauce or yogurt instead of oil.  Attach the recipe to the goodies so that others will know how to make goodies a little healthier.

Go for it!

Okay, I'm going to be the Debbie Downer. If you shouldn't eat those foods, is it really right to push them on other people? We all have our own accountabilities, but a big cause of the obesity epidemic in this country (heck, in this world) is that calories are cheap, plentiful, and convenient, whereas we have to work harder at securing and consuming nutrition. To serve the altruistic side of your plan, showing up with bags of apples and packs of string cheese would be a better service.

In all my time on this forum (and speaking from experience), I have found that one of the biggest issues we create with those around us is imposing our dietary restrictions on others.

great idea.  excellent suggestion to take the food to your local fire station or police station.  I had a friend whose spouse was a fire fighter.  my friend also loved to bake and would send all her stuff to the fire station.  her spouse was the most popular fire fighter at the station.  you might also check with meals on wheels.  they supply nutritious meals but a treat is always lovely too. 

there are lots of ways to volunteer.  feeding the workers is a good alternative if you cannot physically do the work.

I'm wary of this idea.  Just my opinion, but it seems to me like playing with fire.  Would a recovering alcoholic be wise to volunteer to tend bar?  And yes, while we shouldn't push our dietary requirements on others, there's pretty much no one in this entire country who needs to eat more sweets, homemade or not.  Even people without weight/food issues don't need more fat and sugar!

An alternative might be learning to do ceramics.  Keeps your hands and mind busy, same sort of hands-on (squishy clay instead of dough) and you even bake your creations.  A kiln isn't so different from an oven.

Or maybe bake flour salt ornaments for sale at a Christmas bazaar or something like that?  Proceeds could go to charity and there'd be absolutely no temptation to take a nibble or two.

On the other hand, baking is relatively cheap entertainment, minute by minute much cheaper than even going to see a movie. It is not a crime, and it is not a sin to throw food in the garbage. The act of baking can provide the fulfilment on its own.

Try making something yummy, take some pictures as a memento of your experience that day to document your memories, and then throw it in the garbage. You'll likely feel anxiety doing that, but if you tried it a few times, you might actually find it empowering to derive your fulfilment from the act of baking rather than the voyeuristic act of eating.

Relatively speaking, it's cheap entertainment, even if it goes straight to the landfill.

Just because we are not able to eat some things, it doesnt give us the right to PUSH our views on others....

If there is ONE thing that is likely to make others people turn on you is becoming a born-again food freak....

Sharing things you make with others is a GREAT idea.....

In all my time on this forum (and speaking from experience), I have found that one of the biggest issues we create with those around us is imposing our dietary restrictions on others.

I so wish we could like your posts Cinwa.

I'm pretty sure the folks at habitat for humanity are working hard enough to justify having some banana bread.

Great idea! I am a chef by trade and know how hard it is to be around food and not eat it, but with some perseverance and discipline, you'll be fine!

I did this successfully before my BF moved in with me.  I'd bake at my house - and bring and leave it at his thus out of my reach.

When he moved in and then it was just in my house - that is when it became a problem.  But when I can make it and bring it elsewhere it was all fine and dandy.

my BF is going to be training to become a chef soon. he wants to take the culinary arts program at our community college (which is freaking amazing!!!). so...i know he's going to have to practice and whatnot. that's going to be interesting.

as long as you have a good head on your shoulders and know that the food you're preparing is for OTHERS and not for you, i say go for it. you have my support. baking and cooking are extremely cathartic, and i still enjoy doing it from time to time.

Last Christmas I took goodies to the rehab hospital where id been a patient to show my appreciation of their efforts toward my recovery. Lord knows I shouldn't have waited for a holiday to do it.

The idea of sharing with others is a good one, and hand made food is much healthier than the preservative laden commercial crap available in the stores. Not to mention the way such an offering makes people feel like others do care.

I think it's a great idea and I say go for it!! I also enjoy baking and have continued to do so throughout my weight loss. My mother is in a nursing home and the staff there always enjoys and appreciates any baked goods. I understand some people thinking that it's dangerous but is it really any different than anything else we fix for our families or friends but know we can't partake in? My father lives with me and has a bowl of ice cream every single night. Ice cream was my biggest weakness before wls yet I haven't had it once since surgery. Just because I can no longer have it doesn't mean he's no longer allowed to enjoy it. The difference between me and my Dad? He has a very small bowl, I would eat an entire half gallon. One thing he used to always say about food - "There's no such thing as bad food, just bad amounts". Any baked goods taken to a large group of people is never consumed by one person, it's shared by many, and most people get very little of it. So...go for it.

I went to Johnson & Wales and am a certified executive chef. I have met many people in my travels that have been much better than me that never went to school. DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY!!!

I went to Johnson & Wales and am a certified executive chef. I have met many people in my travels that have been much better than me that never went to school. DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY!!!

OMG, I'm jealous! I have an application for NECI, and for some reason I can't bring myself to submit it.

Also, it is not my responsibility to police what anyone wants to eat. Y'all pushing that agenda were probably on board with the mayor of NY outlawing drinks bigger than 16 ounces. You do you, let someone else do them. Not your circus, not your monkeys. Mind your own business, in plain talk with no cute sayings.

Edited by Sleevarilla

Also, it is not my responsibility to police what anyone wants to eat. Y'all pushing that agenda were probably on board with the mayor of NY outlawing drinks bigger than 16 ounces. You do you, let someone else do them. Not your circus, not your monkeys. Mind your own business, in plain talk with no cute sayings.

OOOP! and the library is closed! *claps*

Culinary Institute of America, New York here.

I have also met some phenomenal chefs who never stepped foot in a classroom. The only thing a degree does is show you SHOULD have the basic skill set to prepare food. I have met chefs that I wouldn't let cook for my dog who have an impressive degree in their back pocket.

I often tell people I was in the CIA for a while. :cool:

Edited by TP1210

I love the idea of filling our time with things that we love to do.  It is a great alternative to eating.  I would just say for me at this stage of my weight loss journey it would be impossible.  Honestly, I envy people who like to cook.  I have a fair amount of ADHD and never have the patience to follow the directions exactly. I have friends who cook with love and they are so happy doing it.  I love the idea of creating recipes that are healthy alternatives. You have several years under your belt and I'm sure you know yourself well enough to know when it would be dangerous to be in the kitchen

Just because we are not able to eat some things, it doesnt give us the right to PUSH our views on others....

If there is ONE thing that is likely to make others people turn on you is becoming a born-again food freak....

Sharing things you make with others is a GREAT idea.....

I get what you're saying. As for myself, I am by no means a born again food freak. The position I took is to consider whether, knowing what we know, should we seek to put food items we know are unhealthy in front of other people, free for the taking?

Yes, they could choose not to eat it, but then again, we could have too. Given that two thirds of the adult population in this country is overweight or obese and that obese now outnumbers overweight and knowing what my life experience has been, I wouldn't personally choose to offer plentiful free treats to other people to entertain myself.

As an alternative, I was suggesting that cooking for the pure joy of it can be an end unto itself. Just because we prepare food doesn't mean that it needs to be eaten.

And no, I'm not saying don't do it. As with many things in life, just be mindful.