tabby1121

HOW is recovery after Duodenal Switch

I am looking to have this surgery and I want a little feedback about recovery and what expect

Hi,

It's not easy.  You have to relearn your entire stomach.  I remember my surgeon said to me, "Look, you've had one stomach for  ___  years.  Now you have an infant's stomach."  He was right.  Trying to understand when I have to go to the bathroom...did I have to go, was that a cramp?  You do get it together, it just takes time and practice.

And the benefit of never having to count calories, eating a ton of protein whenever I want, never feeling deprived...those are huge bonuses for a binge eater like me.

You also need to realize it's vits/minerals/protein first -- for life.  Also, blood tests, Dexa bone scans and possibly other tests; for life.

Anything else I can help you with (I have documents my surgeons and DS nutrit. give to patients if you'd like to see them), don't hesitate to ask.

Edited by AAA

Hi,

It's not easy.  You have to relearn your entire stomach.  I remember my surgeon said to me, "Look, you've had one stomach for  ___  years.  Now you have an infant's stomach."  He was right.  Trying to understand when I have to go to the bathroom...did I have to go, was that a cramp?  You do get it together, it just takes time and practice.

And the benefit of never having to count calories, eating a ton of protein whenever I want, never feeling deprived...those are huge bonuses for a binge eater like me.

You also need to realize it's vits/minerals/protein first -- for life.  Also, blood tests, Dexa bone scans and possibly other tests; for life.

Anything else I can help you with (I have documents my surgeons and DS nutrit. give to patients if you'd like to see them), don't hesitate to ask.

I have 2 more appts before I can submit to insurance. .How is your diet now from when you first had the procedure. My surgeon says I should lose a least 100pds. Im a little nervous.

I eat a ton. Probably every 2 hours or so. Most of it is protein. For instance, I had 3 scrambled eggs with cream cheese and salami for breakfast. Of course, not all at once. My stomach gets too full for that to be only 1 sitting. As a matter of fact, all of my meals are more than 1 sitting.

I lost over 140lbs. And it's been 10 years for me. It is nerve-wracking to think about losing that much. But it does work, if you work it.

BTW, there are other forums where you can find DSers and see what they have to say. PM me if you' like the urls.

Edited by AAA

just had the sleeve on Thursday came home on Sunday iam going to tell you what i wish someone would've told me ~ this is not a quick fix for weight loss you gotta work for this and i mean hard. The risk of compilations is there being on this liquid diet is different. You need support from friends and family and your body has to be strong enough to endure the surgery so build it up now. Iam ok just adjusting to not having solid food. The day after my surgery is when i realized oh  bleep you gotta work for this kid. I was curled up in a ball in the hosp bed the Nurses came to me and said hey get up get up sit up get some air flowing in your lungs lets get walking, I was just laying there they said  are you ok I said Iam hungry what is this soup jello and water and tea 2 days in a row. She said let me tell you something ive seen people die from not following this liquid diet if you think your going to get out this hosp and eat food your going to be right back in this Hosp bed now drink this soup. Thats when it all hit me that i have to work this. Sunday i came out of the hosp Monday I walked the track 2 x around and Iam keeping up with my liquids staying hydrated, Even the liquid feels funny going down in your stomach you have to adjust to know how many sips you can take. burps and gas is my regular but my sister said i did that anyway. I still dont know when my pouch is full and iam not trying to find out ima taking slow. 

Edited by loislane1235

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do have a question of my own. Why duodenal switch instead of bypass?

Adventureland surgeon recommendatio .

Did you have the DS? How are you doing?

I had the BPDS in March 2014. I have lost 179 pounds. My recovery was great March through June of 2014. Then I began to have problems. I developed intractable vomiting. This continued through November 2014. My belly was very touchy until April of 2015. I do not know why but in April, I turned a corner. I can eat regular food now and I am making headway on the malnutrition issues. My energy has increased greatly. I am feeing much better. I know people who never had any complications. Recovery is different for everyone. Take care. I can put you in touch with some groups devoted only to the DS if you are interested.

Replying to this a few years too late – but should anybody else have interest I had the duodenal switch July 7, 2020. I started at 260 pounds and lost 23 pounds pre-op, not because they told me to, but because I needed to prove to myself that I was ready to make the necessary changes to be a healthier me. It came easier than I thought and the mini-wins helped out allot! And by that I mean seeing my ankle bone again, fitting into smaller jeans, my back not hurting from walking after 5 minutes. I was on metformin from Feb 2020 to present which also played a role in the pre-op weight loss. I found my surgeon, Dr. Neichoy at The Panhandle Weight Loss Center in Amarillo Tx. From the moment I scheduled my consultation to actually having it, I was welcomed and comfortable and knew instantly I wanted him to do my procedure. 

After surgery I was up and at it with no issues. Even at the third day out, I’ve had no issues. Liquids are going down as they should, I’m able to meet my protein goals daily. I feel so good, that it feels too good to be true. My incisions are sore but the swelling has gone down, the gas is not as unbearable as I thought it would be. The main thing to remember for anyone is that everyone’s journey is different. And don’t listen to other peoples horror stories!