losingrae

The honeybuns are mocking me!

Hi Everyone!

I'm into day 2 of my pre-op diet, and boy am I finding this challenging! I've been cutting back what I eat for months, but still I was not prepared for how difficult this 2 week diet is proving to be. I was in the grocery store today to pick up sugar free popsicles -- bad decision! I should have sent someone else! I swear the honeybuns (and everything else I passed that I can't eat) were laughing at me...and not in a schizo kind of way, but in a I have a headache and am delirious because I've only had 200 calories today kind of way. Not good!

For anyone who has made it through the pre-op diet--any tips for surviving?  I'm finding that I'm just angry. And I'm totally excited for my surgery--and the lifestyle changes it is bringing, but my emotions are just out of control!

I had to stay out of the store. My husband did all the shopping for at least a couple of months. It was too hard to see all my old favorites. For me, the pre-op diet was the hardest part of the entire process. Hang in there. It will be tough as your body detoxes from the sugar and other carbs. Take it one moment at a time and remember that intense cravings only last for so long - 10 minutes max.

Good Luck!

As Steph mentioned...stay away from the store/temptation. I no longer stop for coffee in the morning, what do they put next to the coffee...but the honeybuns and all the baked goods that are no good for you. never shop when hungry is another good tip. Once you are two to three days out this becomes easier.

Same as the previous comments.  I stayed away from the store and made sure I had all kinds liquid options at home, or in the lunch box I carried to work with me.  I also tried to do things to distract me from thinking about all the food I was not having.  Keeping busy, reading, and walking were things I focused on.  All I can say is that it WILL be worth it when you see the scale moving it's way down.  Hang in there!

The pre-op diet is tough, but hang in there, its worth it.  As the other suggested stay away from the store for now.

What kind of pre-op are you on that is only 200 calories?   I did liquids ONLY for 2 weeks and I still had like 1000 cal or more with 5 protein shakes a day.

Sugar free popsciles were my lifesaver;  them and reminding myself it is short term pain for longer term gain.  Its 2 weeks out of the rest of my entire life.

For anyone who has made it through the pre-op diet--any tips for surviving? I'm finding that I'm just angry. And I'm totally excited for my surgery--and the lifestyle changes it is bringing, but my emotions are just out of control!

In my household we have a word for that feeling, "hangry" (hungry+angry). In fact my daughter said that's how she was feeling on our trip back from college orientation and registration. Fortunately for her, dinner fixed her right up.

Not a solution that will work for you. I haven't done my pre-op diet yet, but I have done liquid-based low carb diets that are typical of pre-op diets. Take something for the headache, sleep when you need to (or just to kill time if you can), stay well hydrated, and push through. You will reach the other side. It takes a few days, but you WILL feel better. Just hang in there until you do.

The first 3 days were the hardest for me. In addition to the sugar free Popsicles, I also ate crushed ice especially in the car and during times when I was used to munching on something. Good luck. You can do this.

The world changes afterward. Don't worry about the pre stuff. It will soon have no meaning.

I'm having an interesting first 3 days also.  I'm not hungry, the headache is mild but nagging (especially compared to the migraines), the fatigue is nearly overwhelming though.  I'm not doing any of the sugar free options since I don't tolerate any of the sweeteners or sugar alcohols... If I can keep my protein intake equal to my carbs I count the day a success.  My self imposed calorie limit is about 1200, I'm running around 900 or so for the last few days.

I did manage to choke down a yogurt yesterday - had to mix it with applesauce to keep it from coming back up, but it worked.  I hate yogurt... completely... and I'm not even sure hate is a strong enough word for it.  lol  My office mate laughed at me when she wasn't gagging at the thought of me mixing yogurt and applesauce. 

I tried the Bolthouse Farms protein yesterday morning also, just to get away from the OJ for a day.  They weren't half bad mixed with my protein powder.  I could only do 4 oz though before the taste and thickness got to me.  Vanilla was better than chocolate.  Milk products rank right up there with yogurt on my gross meter.

My pre-op list is all liquid, yogurt, pudding, etc... 4 oz of lean protein if I'm still hungry.  My mom's pre-op also included unlimited greens, non-starchy veggies, and fruit.  I figure I'm good so long as I don't go outside those items.  Monday my savior was a 3 oz bag of beef jerky, yesterday was a grilled chicken breast and a cup of salad. It's a good thing I started weaning off the soda, caffeine, and sweets 2.5 weeks ago.  I'd just about sell my soul for a Dr Pepper and rice krispie treat right now.  Thankfully my co-workers are pretty supportive, most of them know I'm having the surgery.  As long as I stay out of the breakroom tomorrow when the junk food buffet arrives I should do ok.

I lost 5 lbs the first week of the month, gained one back the next week (thank you gender... not), and this morning's weigh in was 2 lbs down from Monday.

Now to just kick these damn allergies before the 30th...

The world changes afterward. Don't worry about the pre stuff. It will soon have no meaning.

Sometimes I feel like Tom is the TT Confucius. Simple words of wisdom. I love it!

Tom is Confucius; I on the other had am just confused.

I'm having an interesting first 3 days also.  I'm not hungry, the headache is mild but nagging (especially compared to the migraines), the fatigue is nearly overwhelming though.  I'm not doing any of the sugar free options since I don't tolerate any of the sweeteners or sugar alcohols... If I can keep my protein intake equal to my carbs I count the day a success.  My self imposed calorie limit is about 1200, I'm running around 900 or so for the last few days.

I did manage to choke down a yogurt yesterday - had to mix it with applesauce to keep it from coming back up, but it worked.  I hate yogurt... completely... and I'm not even sure hate is a strong enough word for it.  lol  My office mate laughed at me when she wasn't gagging at the thought of me mixing yogurt and applesauce. 

I tried the Bolthouse Farms protein yesterday morning also, just to get away from the OJ for a day.  They weren't half bad mixed with my protein powder.  I could only do 4 oz though before the taste and thickness got to me.  Vanilla was better than chocolate.  Milk products rank right up there with yogurt on my gross meter.

My pre-op list is all liquid, yogurt, pudding, etc... 4 oz of lean protein if I'm still hungry.  My mom's pre-op also included unlimited greens, non-starchy veggies, and fruit.  I figure I'm good so long as I don't go outside those items.  Monday my savior was a 3 oz bag of beef jerky, yesterday was a grilled chicken breast and a cup of salad. It's a good thing I started weaning off the soda, caffeine, and sweets 2.5 weeks ago.  I'd just about sell my soul for a Dr Pepper and rice krispie treat right now.  Thankfully my co-workers are pretty supportive, most of them know I'm having the surgery.  As long as I stay out of the breakroom tomorrow when the junk food buffet arrives I should do ok.

I lost 5 lbs the first week of the month, gained one back the next week (thank you gender... not), and this morning's weigh in was 2 lbs down from Monday.

Now to just kick these damn allergies before the 30th...

Good to hear you are progressing, good for you.

I'd say the pre-op 2 week diet was the most eye-opening part of this process so far. I was amazed at how many parts of our lives center around eating. I felt like I was on an island during that pre-op diet and I will admit it got pretty dark but the further I got into it, the more I focused on seeing how I could "de-program" from food a bit. That helped some. Then I realized I lost 26 lbs on it and that helped too. 

Another thing I really didn't think through was how it was going to feel after 2 weeks of liquids, then after surgery, almost another 2 weeks of just liquids. I'm 2 weeks post-op now and eating deli meat and soft veggies and I feel like I've won the F%$*ing lottery. 

In short...it's worth it and it gets better.  :cool:

Hang tough.

You can do this.

You should be getting more calories in.

Are you following the preop diet correctly?

If you are in need of guidance, call or email the NUT in your program.

Best...

Thanks everyone for the replies and words of encouragement!!!

I am doing the preop diet as my surgeon prescribed...from some of the others I've read it seems pretty restrictive. However, I didn't mean that I only get 200 cals a day....just that that was how much I had had when I was in the store. Total in a day I'm getting about 700-800 cals. I get 2 protein shakes and 1 meal that has to be <300cal and virtually no carbs.  

Day 3, still starving...although not quite as "Hangry" as Day 1 and 2 (love my new word...thanks Wendy H :-)  The sugar free Popsicles are the only things keeping me from hurting someone right now...and I hate artificial sweeteners.  

Stay the course, you will be through this phase soon enough.

I feel your pain losing, I am in week 2 of my pre-op.  Battling a cold (almost gone) but I am not hungry unless I see real food.  I was at my parents place picking up the hairy child (my dog) and dad walked in with 2 loaves of fresh bread and some cakes in a bag.  I nearly cried at the sight of the bread, carbs have been my major craving the past 2 weeks.  You should of seen the death glare my dad got from mum (she has been absolutely fantastic these past weeks)!

Strangely I don't feel hungry, the thought of having another bloody protein shake makes me feel ill. I still have 1 1/2 boxes of the blasted stuff!  Anyhow I've bought some unflavoured pea protein to use in things like jello and watered down juice.

I know what you mean about artificial sweeteners, they leave a horrid metallic after taste in my mouth.

Finally, good luck!  You can do it :)

Not sure if I will be having any preop diet at all (will find out this morning at my preop class), but I do know I need to go to the store and prepare some food on Sunday that I won't be able to eat (spaghetti, Chicken Alfredo - so my boys won't starve for the week while I'm in hell :unsure: ).  I would agree with everyone, don't go anywhere where there will be a proliferation of food and yummy smells if you can help it.

You got this!  Stay strong and persevere!  :)

Not sure if I will be having any preop diet at all (will find out this morning at my preop class)

How'd class go? What do you need to do to shrink your liver before surgery?

How'd class go? What do you need to do to shrink your liver before surgery?

Thanks for asking! I was surprised that she allows the swallowing of small pills immediately, as long as they aren't bigger than a pencil eraser, so all the prescriptions (including the pain meds) are in pill form.  I believe that the 17 lbs lost was enough for her, but I do have a one day liquid diet on Sunday.  Also, I'm pleased that I am allowed to go back on my Indomethacin right away, in fact, they suggest you take Tylenol and (normally) Ibuprofen 3 times a day when you get home to help with pain.  They want you to only use your narcotic pain med if that doesn't work. Also a big plus for me is that on the 2 week post liquid diet, they count greek yogurt as liquid!

I also gave my pre-admission blood and had an echo cardiogram (which I hope I NEVER have to do again!) I got my pre-admission call last night from the hospital, and now all I need is my check-in time.  For some reason Dr Patterson's office does not allow the hospital to give out that info, and they say they will call the day before, which I am assuming means the work-day before.  

Got all my lists made, ordered my unflavored protein powder and the Nectar trials, ordered the scales, the chewable vitamins and fiber, and will do the shopping for my boys on Sunday!  I think I'm all set, just hope I'm not forgetting anything!

:unsure:  :wacko:  :blink:  :cool:  :eek:  ;)  :P