amkari

Attack of the seasonal allergies... Is this going to delay things?

So, I suffer from nasty seasonal allergies... I pretty much sneeze my way through spring, summer, and fall... I can't wait for the snow to come back.  lol  I don't know why this wasn't on my mind when I scheduled my surgery... except we have had a rainy, late spring and it hadn't started yet.

Last Thursday it hit with a vengeance, no voice, stuffy head, sneezing etc, etc, etc.  By Saturday morning I felt like I was coughing up my lungs, except it was all in my throat, made my chest hurt like mad nonetheless.  I decided to hit the urgent care clinic since none of my on hand OTC was doing the job.  I now have Singulair added to my daily Zyrtec and Afrin nasal spray (in addition to the anti-depressant, anti-viral, and migraine meds).  Nothing in the lungs.

With the congestion, drainage, and coughing should I be concerned about my surgery date in 2 weeks?  When the sinuses are clear and I can breathe it isn't too bad but when the cough hits it sounds like a really phlegmy, wet cough.  I'm waiting on a response from my surgeons's office but thought I'd pick the brains here in case someone else could relate...  :-)

Congestion on the lungs can be a problem with surgery so I'm glad you've put a call into your surgeon's office.

Talk with your surgeon for sure. The thing that would concern me is the congestion, but your surgeon can tell you for sure.

Great call on checking with your surgeon.  I too came down with a bug a couple of weeks before surgery and was concerned it would cause a delay.  I called my surgeon and he immediately put me on an antibiotic so I was good to go when my surgery date arrived.  I hope you feel better soon!

If your allergies are that bad, have you consulted an Allergist? They can test you to see what exactly you are allergic to and then create treatments that target your specific issues. I get allergies one month a year. If I got them three SEASONS a year I would go absolutely crazy and I would do anything to fix it. 

Primarily its pollen.  When I was living in California it was way worse with the dust, pesticides, and agriculture.  In Montana, it's not as bad... thankfully the growing season is short and there isn't as much dust blowing around.  If I stay on top of the meds it is more or less controlled but it generally takes a few weeks to subside once I tweak the combination enough.

Primarily its pollen.  When I was living in California it was way worse with the dust, pesticides, and agriculture.  In Montana, it's not as bad... thankfully the growing season is short and there isn't as much dust blowing around.  If I stay on top of the meds it is more or less controlled but it generally takes a few weeks to subside once I tweak the combination enough.

I'm going through the same thing right now and my surgery is set for 7/21.  I wanted to nip it in the bud and went to the doctor Saturday and he gave me antibiotics.  I don't want to get a nagging cough before surgery.  So far, I have 4 days left of antibiotics, and just a little cough.  I don't want to postpone.  I sure hope everything goes well with your surgery.  Good luck.  I'm sure everything will be great!  

Well, between Zyrtec, Singulair, and my decongestant nasal spray the heavy congestion and sneezing is gone.  I still have a small amount of drainage but for the last 3-4 days I haven't had to use the nasal spray in order to breathe.

My flight is booked for Monday, surgery on Tuesday, back in California on Friday, then a week of laying around my cousin's house visiting, a beauty pageant with my daughter and my niece, and a long drive home to Montana.

3 weeks away from work is going to be heavenly.  lol

Amkari,

God bless and good luck with your surgery.  Have a safe trip home.  Can't wait to hear about your experience.