Florida Girl

Glad to be here but I've got questions!

So it's official - I'm eight weeks along, out of my personal danger zone of m/c (I've had eight plus an ectopic pre surgery) and we've seen a heartbeat on two different ultrasounds. Although we're not telling anyone, family included, until after twelve weeks I've definitely got questions for those who have been pregnant after GB. My nutritionist is currently on vacation so I can't bother her for awhile. :)

Protein - how much is too much? I've read several articles stating that pregnant women should get about 75 g - I average about 130. This includes a shake and seafood for lunch/dinner. I stick to seafood (shrimp/tilapia) because it goes down the easiest. Some articles say that too much protein can damage the fetus.

Calories/carbs - I was averaging 1200-1400 calories/day and 50 carbs pre-pregnancy. My nutritionist suggested 1700 calories and at least 100 carbs per day, preferably more since the baby's primary fuel is glucose. Is this on target with what you've been recommended?

Weight gain - I should gain around 15-25 lbs. I get that. Problem is, I've already gained SIX and I know it's from those freaking carbs!!! I just feel like it's too early to have gained so much weight. My pants already no longer fit (I know it's not uncommon to pooch out earlier after multiple pregnancies) but having to go up a size and looking at maternity clothes already is screwing with my head. My OB has taken me off all weightlifting since I'm high risk (wah!) and I'm too freaking tired to get up and do cardio. This is messing with my head big time - I'm sure anyone who's been pregnant post-GB has had nightmares like me where you're standing in Lane Bryant and crying because you've gained all your weight back (that nightmare sucked big time!).

Any advice? I'm tracking on MFP again (stopped when I was in maintenance cause I was eating the same thing every day and tracking was just silly), so I've got a good handle on what I'm eating. 

I have no experience with pregnancy post-bypass but wanted to say just how thrilled I am for you. Pregnancy after pregnancy loss is carries a whole different range of emotions and concerns. I have two comments for you, though.

First, watch the source of the shrimp and tilapia you're eating. Do a little research on what the best sources are. Some heavily farmed seafood isn't always raised in the cleanest water. Watch especially for imported seafood.

Second, don't worry about the quick gain. I doubt it's due to the prior pregnancies (I think going to term is what increases the pooch). On the other hand, you've already increased your carb consumption, and that can lead to you holding more water. You've already had the water weight bump, so just keep plugging forward.

And did I say congratulations. Your news is so fantastic.

OMG, you're 40. Double, triple, quadruple congratulations!

Actually, I'm 41, and thanks.

I have two pregnancies that carried to term, so that's why I mentioned the pooch. This will be our third child.

Edited by Florida Girl

So VERY excited for you!  Can't wait to follow your experience. Congrats to you and your family, this is a very exciting time. Feel good and let us know how you are doing!

Obviously no experience with pregnancy but congrats, thrilled for you.

Congrats and Happy for you!

Congrats! No experience to share, but I'm thrilled for you.

Congratulations! I would venture to guess the weight gain is far more to do with water retention from the carb your body is less used to then anything else. Let the worries go (I know easier said then done) and enjoy your secret for awhile. Before you know it you will be sharing your amazing news with family and friends, and your NUT will be back from vacation to answer all of your questions.

So excited for you!

Congrats! I had all my babes pre-surgery but if it helps with #3 and #4 I looked 20 weeks at 6 weeks!

So happy for you!

Thanks everyone! This is definitely a far different journey this time around. I was diabetic with high blood pressure my last two babies and was completely miserable. This pregnancy has been enjoyable so far with little to no morning sickness. I'm excited to experience a healthy pregnancy this time around. My boys both had macrosomia (one was 11.25 lbs at 38 weeks and the other 9.5 lbs at 37 weeks) due to my weight and both had to be delivered early. Hopefully this one will be normal weight!

Thanks for all the kind words...we're excited, but due to age and experience we know exactly what we've gotten ourselves into!!

I'm glad things are going well and you're feeling good this time around. When I made my earlier comments, I only caught the pregnancy losses; I didn't realize about the term pregnancies. You know what you're doing. What are the ages of your kids?

So happy to hear you are doing well with this pregnancy! I completely understand your excitement for a healthy pregnancy. My husband and I hope to expand our family and I absolutely can't wait to be pregnant AND healthy. Oh and add to it people being able to tell its definitely a baby bump and not just weight gain.

Congratulations! I, too, have suffered multiple miscarriages (7) through the years. It is a scar that never truly heals. Sending prayers for a successful, uneventful pregnancy.

I have not been in your shoes for the weight-gain concerns after a weight loss surgery, however, I am sure many women hold those same feelings. Rely on the professionals' advice & don't be afraid to discuss your feelings and concerns at your appointments.

I'd suggest we go through this whole pregnancy thing together, but I am not GB, I am sleeve. I am 12 and 1/2 wks along now. I haven't met with my nutritionist yet, but I do find myself eating more carbs. My Dr only wants me to gain 10lbs as I was not at goal when I conceived. So far I have gained nothing but my body is definitely changing shape.

I can say that being thinner makes this process a heck of a lot easier than being heavy. I couldn't have imagined being 285lbs and carrying a baby to term. 

Good luck! And congratulations! :)

I'd suggest we go through this whole pregnancy thing together, but I am not GB, I am sleeve. I am 12 and 1/2 wks along now. I haven't met with my nutritionist yet, but I do find myself eating more carbs. My Dr only wants me to gain 10lbs as I was not at goal when I conceived. So far I have gained nothing but my body is definitely changing shape.

I can say that being thinner makes this process a heck of a lot easier than being heavy. I couldn't have imagined being 285lbs and carrying a baby to term. 

Good luck! And congratulations! :)

Awesome! We'll be buddies. Yes, I carried two to term at 400 lbs and it wasn't something I'd care to repeat, that's for sure!!!