Plain water hurts post-op - will it get better?

helpimfat

I can sip a teaspoon at a time, but I still end up with pain and a general feeling of discomfort after ingesting water. I am only 11 days out, but it's really frustrating to not be able to handle water, because I honestly love it. Pre-op I had no problems getting in the recommended amount of water and more, but now I'm struggling because of the pain. 

The only thing that seems to help a bit is to make the water ICE ICE COLD. I've never liked my water cold, was always a fan of room temperature, so this is such a strange way for me to drink. 

People have mentioned in the forums using additives (like Mio or Crystal Light), but I dislike the after-taste of water enhancers, so I've just been sucking it up and suffering for now. But did anyone else have a sensitivity to water that got better later on down the line? I'm really stressing out thinking I'll always struggle with water like this. And that's really hard on me, because water has always been my best friend.

You can't drink the same as you did before surgery and you probably never will. While you will be able to drink faster, you'll never gulp again. Make sure your sips are small as you are still recently after surgery. And if cold is better than warm get out the ice. For many it is the reverse and they need to cut back on the cold drinks post surgery.

Yeah, the early days are tough, and I didn't actually enjoy water for at least six months. In the beginning, warm and hot liquids went down much easier.

You can't drink the same as you did before surgery and you probably never will. While you will be able to drink faster, you'll never gulp again. Make sure your sips are small as you are still recently after surgery. And if cold is better than warm get out the ice. For many it is the reverse and they need to cut back on the cold drinks post surgery.

Yeah, I made the mistake of taking a normal drink only once. The pain afterwards let me know in no uncertain terms what would happen if I got careless again.

Interesting about the cold drinks.

The sugar free drink mixes work best for me. I'm in my 7th week post-op & still get that bloated "anchor in the gut" feeling from plain water sometimes. Wal-Mart has a great selection of flavors. I didn't like many of the flavors at first, but honed on some I could tolerate. I also squeeze fresh lemons & put the juice in a water from time to time. 

I still can't drink plain water... it makes me cramp up even after a few months.  My dr says its all in my head but its true none the less.  I pretty much live off of crystal light!

I haven't been able to drink much in the way of plain water since my WLS.  And it was my go-to pre-op.  We have a well fed from a glacier.

My drinks have to be no colder than room temperature and teas have been my drink of choice since surgery.

18 months...still cant do plain water. Also detest additives but found one that doesn't have an aftertaste (to me anyway).

at Walmart. True-Lime-Black-Cherry-Limeade-Drink-Mix

Got to do what works for you. I could only do 1 oz every 15 minutes the first couple of days then followed the two oz every 15 minutes for the first six weeks. I can drink a cup pretty fast now.

Im 6 days post op and plain water made me sick at first, I can now take very very tiny sips.  Started just drinking enough to literally wet my tongue because i missed plain water! Slowly I increased the amount I swallowed, Still can't use water to swallow pills but if i am faithful to little sips i can finish 32 oz a day of plain water.  Best of luck to you 

I couldn't stand the taste of plain water right after surgery, either. I ate SF popsicles (they're actually very good), SF jello (at the hospital), diluted fruit juice (at the hospital), and Powerade. I also tried water that had been flavored with different additives (Crystal Light, etc.). It's hard when we're supposed to drink to stay hydrated. I'm about three weeks out now, and water is starting to taste okay again. I hope the same happens for you  :)

sweet things are bothering me (I'm 3 days post-op), but I found that unsweetened iced tea went down well for me. plain water is definitely giving me problems.

You might try warm or hot beverages, decaf tea, low sodium chicken broth

Some people do better with cold. You will need to experiment a little.

Best...

Swanson fat-free chicken broth was what go me through when I could not tolerate water

I just had my first sips from an ice cold cup of skim milk. Nothing has ever tasted more wonderful than that milk right now! It's not nauseatingly sweet like some of the protein shakes and the SF water enhancers, it feels comfortably light going down, and it's a good source of protein. Perhaps skim milk might be a good break from the hard-to-process plain water.

I'm glad you are feeling better and the milk is staying down.

You can experiment by adding a protein powder to your milk. Not a lot and then if it stays down, you can gradually increase the amount of protein to get you bumping those protein goals through the roof.

You can also add milk in a ready made shake and dilute it with milk according to your taste.

Are you able to have yogurt? If so, Greek yogurts will give you more protein. Many people eat the dannon light and fit Greek yogurt.

It gives you a bunch of protein and the carbs are low. Read yogurt labels carefully. Many brands like chobani taste good but have a lot of carbs

I have been taking a container of yogurt and putting in the freezer for 60 to 70 minutes. It tastes so good especially with a swirl of reddi whip on top.

Everybody's sleeve or pouch likes different things. Weird. I can eat chicken and eggs( with some type of sauce to keep it moist) but other people cannot tolerate them at all. .

I encourage you to go slow in the beginning. This process is hard so add new foods gradually. It takes 6 to 8 weeks for the sleeve to completely heal. So pamper your baby sleeve.

Another point is that in the beginning sleeves and pouches may not like something but try it again in 3 to 4 weeks and it might go down fine.

It sounds like you are doing great with these early hard times

Best...

I just had my first sips from an ice cold cup of skim milk. Nothing has ever tasted more wonderful than that milk right now! It's not nauseatingly sweet like some of the protein shakes and the SF water enhancers, it feels comfortably light going down, and it's a good source of protein. Perhaps skim milk might be a good break from the hard-to-process plain water.

Glad to hear things are proceeding. New tastes are wonderful, glad the milk is going over so well. Just remember to take it slow, patience is your friend.

There is hope!  I too had massive problems with water right after surgery. I found that I had an easier time drinking hot beverages like coffee or tea.  It wasn't until about 6 or 7 weeks later I was able to drink water easier. I had to sip sip sip the first two months but now can drink "almost" normal (two or three sips at a time).  BUT warm/hot drinks still easier for me and I'm 3 months out.

I highly recommend Fairlife milk (low calorie, higher protein 13 grams for 8 oz), Dannon Light and Fit greek yogurt (80 calories, 12-13 grams of protein) and cottage cheese.  Don't panic.  You'll make it through this just fine and be terrific!

Edited by terrible30

I am 10 weeks post op and I still have trouble with drinking water, I get that pain too!  I was a huge water drinker before surgery!  I find that crystal light helps, I think that having some type of flavor makes me sip instead of gulping? If that makes sense?  

Do not know if this is ok or not but I drink 20 oz skinny (sugar free, skim milk no caramel sauce)caramel machiattos from starbucks, sometimes 2 a day.  I can drink those with no troubles and I figure I am getting 20 oz of fluid per drink and 13 gms of protein (from the milk), for me it is a win win! 

• 6 years later...

It’s so comforting to know I’m not the only one. I thought something was really wrong with me. I had a gastric bypass a month ago, and plain water still upsets my stomach. I can handle crystal light or any other sugar free drink just fine. But water, no matter the temperature, does not agree with me. 

9 hours ago, DedeVC said:

It’s so comforting to know I’m not the only one. I thought something was really wrong with me. I had a gastric bypass a month ago, and plain water still upsets my stomach. I can handle crystal light or any other sugar free drink just fine. But water, no matter the temperature, does not agree with me. 

If it's any help to others, aversion to plain water early post-op isn't unusual.  

Other than a cup of tea with milk first thing, plain water (usually with a slice or two of lemon) or sugar free Crystal Light is all I drink now.