Getting a bit nervous now...

I finished my 3 months required nutritionist visits. Today was the last one. It was challenging. She required a detailed listing of everything I ate, everyday, how much water I drank, tea, coffee. How much I was moving. But I am done.  I have done my cardiac clearance and psych visit.  Having my EGD on June 26 and then paperwork will be submitted.  Dr. feels that maybe mid July.  After all this time of I am almost there and getting nervous.  Worrying about crazy things, like will I even eat after all of this? Will I do the right things, eat the right things?  As much as I have researched and learned and still I am a bit worried now.  I do not have anyone to come stay with me at hospital or afterwards so hoping I can handle this alone.  I do have a ride to hospital and home afterwards but I shall be on my own.  Do you all think I can do this on my own, should I try to hire someone to come sit with me?  Thoughts?

Hi there

It's totally normal to be nervous, but you are preparing yourself well. Do you have a friend who could help you if you need it? I live alone, but I had a friend on standby in case I needed it. I spent a week at my sister's after surgery and while it was great having her around, I was totally mobile and able to do everything for myself. You might look into having in home care available in case you need it. You won't really know until you go home. Get all your supplies prepared ahead of time and even stock water in your room in case you don't feel like getting up and getting it. You do want to be drinking (sipping) almost all the time to stay hydrated and try to walk as much as you can. It's hard at first but I found it did ease the discomfort of the gas after surgery and I think I recovered faster.

Best wishes

Edited by Robbi5

You don't need any one at the hospital. While my hubby was home that weekend (I came home late Friday night). I actually made him stop at the grocery store on the way home. By that Tuesday I was off my pain mess and could drive. I actually went in to work that day and went shopping for 4 hours. I really felt good. But I had no problems either. Many say they slept while in the hospital, I didn't sleep at all!

You've got this! Good luck!

See if you can get your script for meds in advance of surgery so you can fill it & not have to do it post-op, when you can't drive.

Find out the standard discharge instructions for bypass surgery; we had to stop on the way home for antibacterial soap, gauze & surgical tape, to comply with instructions (shower, change dressing that very day).

If you have a recliner, plan to sleep there the first few nights--easier to get up & down with incisions.  

You can do it on your own, but if you can have some support its always a good idea.  Your energy will probably be low, it seems to be for most.  Like Cheesehead I got enough energy to be functioning well quickly and that may be the case for you as well.  Do you have a family member that could stay with you or you could stay with?  Always a good idea to cover your bases if you can.

Hi Lindy, as stated above, you won't really need anyone at the hospital with you. I was "sleeved" on April 29th and came home to my dog, me , myself and I. I did prepare ahead of time, getting meds, liquids, broth, jello etc. ready, and my recliner. It was 4 days before I could actually get in and out of my bed with little pain. You will be just fine I'm sure, and having friends or neighbors stopping by was reassuring but also very tiring. You will be tired and want to sleep/rest between walking even if it's just around the house so try to do it because it helps in your recovery. Remember you are a WOMAN and you can do this. Being nervous is so normal and fear not, you will certainly be able to eat again, just not like you did before, you are strong and you will make it. Just remember to get your protein in, sip your water, walk and enjoy your new journey. Soon you will join us on the losers  bench and you will be so surprised and happy at the outcome. I'm 71 and lovin my new self.

you don't really need someone with you after you come home.  I actually found it kind of annoying to have my roommate hovering around asking questions.  as long as you stock up on everything ahead of time it shouldn't be a problem.  be sure to get the pain meds ahead of time.  that's something you really don't want to run out of.  my regular pharmacy didn't have the liquid vicodin prescribed and wouldn't have it until a few days after I needed it.  I had to go to a different pharmacy so you might want to call ahead of time to make sure they have it in stock.  if you have any complications that need real help, that's what 911 is for.  the hospital won't let you leave until you hit certain goals - walk, pee, keep down liquids including jello. 

you should be fine. 

Hi, nerves are normal. But you are so well prepared that it will seem all for nothing. You will be okay at home alone. You will be a little sore at first with getting up and down, but it gets better so quickly. Just remember to sip and walk slowly. You will get sick of circling your living room, I sure did.

You are going to do great!

I just read all of your encouraging words.  Thank you so very much.  I do pretty much everything myself and I have you guys and of course my medical team to call on.  Just nervous I guess but again Thank you all.  Will post later when my actual surgery date is and go from there. 

my husband was there when I woke up from recovery for a bit but I wasn't really in need of him there.  I was very groggy and don't remember much.  The nurses were there to take care of me.  I slept off and on through the night and was alone all the next day.  Hubby drove me from the hospital to the store where I went inside with him and bought a few things that I ate over the next several days.  Once I got home, I was sleeping off and on, then walking off and on that evening into the next day when hubby was at work.  Really didn't need him there. 

you can easily do it on your own.  I was fully mobile after 48 hours.  3 days after surgery was xmas and went to see friends.  I was moving around just fine.  I was tired easily and took several naps.  After 1 week I was cleared to travel and drove 5 hours to my moms where I spend the next week.  Again, movement was easy.  I spend a day in the French quarter walking for several hours. 

it didn't turn out to be as painful as I thought it would be.  I had a lot more mobility then I thought I would.  you will be fine.  The ride home from the hospital I think is all you will need. 

Lindy, I live alone also.  I plan on my son driving me both ways but have tried to prepare myself for a week or so on my own after the surgery.  I bought some pre-mixed shakes in different flavors, bullion, stock, sf jello, bottled water,  and even invested in some (omg expensive) unflavored protein powder.   I will also have plenty of ice prepared ahead of time.

I can send my son for the pain meds if we can't get them on the way home, but I will be sure to buy some antibacterial soap, gauze & surgical tape ahead of time!

In other words, I have read the posts on this site that offer preparation advice and I am very confident that I can have everything lined out and ready ahead of time and will not need to worry about a thing.

I know that I can call on my son, or even my daughter who lives further out, if I do need for anything but don't want them to feel like they need to take care of me afterward. 

Just like these guys have told us they did it, we can do it too!  WooHoo!