Expected weight loss right after surgery

ellieinnj

I'm almost two weeks post op.  The first week while I was on clear liquids, I was losing 2+ lbs. a day.  Then when I started the full liquid phase, the weight loss dropped to 1/2 lb. a day.  Is this normal?  I'm afraid when I go to the next phase on Thursday, puree and start adding real food, the weight loss will drop even more.  My doctor says I should be down 60 lbs. by September, but at this rate it doesn't seem possible.  Any thoughts?

Ellie, 

You're going to get some great responses to this question.  There is one over riding theme to them all.  All weight loss journeys are unique.  You will lose more some weeks than others.  You will stall and swear the surgery failed you.  The surgery will not fail and neither will you if you follow the plan you were given by your surgical and nutritionist team.  You can use the search function on this site to find many conversation threads about this subject.  

You did not gain all your weight in a couple of months.  You will need more than a few months to lose all the weight.  But follow that plan and the weight will come off. 

One last cautionary note:  Don't compare your weight loss to others.  This is a hard thing to resist but I speak from experience…. someone on this site had the same surgery as you did on the same date as you did and at the same starting weight as yours and that person will be losing faster than you are.  You will find that person if you look hard enough.  I know I did.  You will find someone who is losing slower than you are too.  You will not focus on the slower loser. LOL.   BTW… the men lose faster than the women.  

You're off to a good start.  Follow your plan and stay tuned. 

some doctors seem as unrealistic in their expectations as some patients. the key is to consistently stick with your plan and avoid weighing yourself every day.

now some people here will tell you they weigh every day, I weigh probably once every two weeks. I do not need some piece of metal/plastic dictating my moods.

stick with the plan, you lose the weight. you dont burn that many calories getting on and off those scales.

Your expectation should be:   to gradually lose weight over days, weeks, months, year(s).  No set speed.  No set number.  Just at some point in the future for your excess weight to be gone;  whether that means months or years from now.

There is no answer that we can give you that would even be "the average".  It is so completely dependant on the person and their body.  Some start slow and amp up, some are amped from the beginning, some are slow and steady, some stall/lose stall/lose stall/lose.  There is no way to determine it or even guess on how you will fall into all this. 

You an expect to lose 75-80% of excess weight in the first 12-18 months post op.  That is the only standard there really is.  This is about the BIG LONG TERM picture, not the week to week or even month to month numbers.

Edited by Jolls

Listen to everyone, there is no average, you will lose as fast as your body lets you as long as you stick with the program. Don't focus on what the doctor says you should lose, just lose what you can focusing on sticking to the program.

Sorry 2 pounds a day is unrealistic! Slow and steady wins the race!

I've seen it over and over again.  To drop 14 lbs in one week is great, but it's not the norm.  Once I figured out that any loss was a good thing, I was able to wrap my mind around that losing this time would be different.  I didn't have to be in a hurry to lose weight, because it was going to come off on it's own without much help from me because I was in the honeymoon period.  My sticking to the plan was just going to prepare me for the real work of maintenance.  I got good with expecting to lose 1-2 lbs a week, which appears to be my new norm because I was considered a "lightweight" going into the process.  Double that for your weight, and expect to lose about 2-5 lbs a week, and you will be happier with your journey.  Remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint.  As was said earlier, slow and steady wins the race.

Edited by LouisianaLady

I lost 15# my first week after surgery, now it has slowed quite a bit in week 2. I'm frustrated but know it will happen. We're all different, I'm just a noob, I'm glad for this post.

I didn't lose a lb for over 2 months!!!! I am the slowest loser in the world!! The queen of the stalls!  I had to STOP comparing myself to others and I now only weigh myself when I wake up and ~feel~ like I lost...and usually I am correct and happy! Other wise, if I randomly weigh in..I find that no...I did not lose and very unhappy so I don't bother.  I am behind on any weight loss schedule and its not a good feeling, but I know its not me...I am on plan!  So I just have to let it be and be patient.  Also, shame on the doc for giving you a goal that may or may not happen. He should know we all lose at different speeds.   Just let it happen....its all good. :)

Thanks to everyone for their replies.  I had the gastric bypass surgery as a last resort.  I am in my sixties and didn't want to spend the last twenty or so years of my life fat.  My husband was against this from the start and I resisted also for quite some time.  As I mentioned in my first post, I work in the ICU of a hospital and have seen some bariatric patients transferred there because of complications.  I researched this surgery ad nauseum and my expectations were quite high.  My hospital experience was not bad but you can imagine my horror when I got home and found I gained back the ten pounds I lost pre surgery.  As I said, that came off pretty quickly plus dropped another ten pounds.  What I wanted to know is if the 1/2 lb. a day was good, bad, or normal.  Today the scale says I gained back the 1/2 lb. I lost yesterday.  Some of us cannot help ourselves and have to weigh every day.  We have done so many yo-yo diets over the years and need to know in the beginning if this is the magic that will work for us.  I know, I know, it's not really magic but determination and hard work.  But you would think that in the amount you are eating, two protein shakes, one yogurt, 1/2 cup tomato soup, some sf jello and two bottles of water, adding up to less than 600 calories a day, the weight would have to come off.  Also, the WLS is suppose to accelerate weight loss in the beginning.  I will take it one step at a time because there is no going back.  I don't really mean to sound unhappy and I know the pounds will eventually disappear, but you can't stop us for hoping it will happen faster.  Rant over.

Average weight loss is 8-20 pounds a month according to my program.

Your weight was up when you got home, because you were fluid loaded. And now your body is a little freaked out and recovering from the physical assault of being cut into.

You're a nurse, so you know that, but you're also human, and sometimes ya just gotta rant. ;)

I think we had surgery at about the same time so I'm a newbie too! One thing I did this week was to try on clothes. I was so amazed at how many things were really big on me already! The numbers don't always show you how much your body is changing but the I know that the number will drop when I stay on track!! It's hard because I want it all gone yesterday but I know it's going to happen!! Keep your head up, be kind to yourself, and keep looking forward!!

Don't forget the three week stall either! And all the other stalls along the way. You're in this for the long haul and yes the surgery will work for you. :) in a couple years you will be back here reassuring someone else the same thing.

I think we had surgery at about the same time so I'm a newbie too! One thing I did this week was to try on clothes. I was so amazed at how many things were really big on me already! The numbers don't always show you how much your body is changing but the I know that the number will drop when I stay on track!! It's hard because I want it all gone yesterday but I know it's going to happen!! Keep your head up, be kind to yourself, and keep looking forward!!

Good advice!

Hi. I said the same thing you did! . I'm 60 and I don't want to spend my last 20 years or so fat! I'm only at 17 weeks post op, but I have a little advice: don't dwell on the amount you are losing as long as you are losing!

Keep up the good work!