No regrets for me.  I will do it again in a heartbeat!!  but I must tell you, once the honeymoon is over and the scale stops moving, that's when the rubber really meets the road.  Tin the sense that the surgery is not an easy fix, but a tool; as you start to realize that keeping the weight off through lifestyle changes are the hardest part of this lifelong process.  but while you're at it, embrace it!! i would love to go back to that HONEYMOON PHASE again!!.  

I wish you the Best!! 

NO regrets!  I have heard of some people having complications but for me personally I would do it all over again!  It was the best thing I have ever done for MYSELF.  After having my children I needed help and I got it with VSG.  The only thing I would ever recommend it get your head in the game way before the surgery.  Go to support groups, ask questions!  Get a life long plan.  Always have food readly avaiable at each stage of your recovery and in maintance. 

Good Luck!

NO regrets!  I have heard of some people having complications but for me personally I would do it all over again!  It was the best thing I have ever done for MYSELF.  After having my children I needed help and I got it with VSG.  The only thing I would ever recommend it get your head in the game way before the surgery.  Go to support groups, ask questions!  Get a life long plan.  Always have food readly avaiable at each stage of your recovery and in maintance. 

Good Luck!

I had lost weight too many times to count and a lot of weight, but could never maintain it.  I don't regret the surgery I would not be where I am today without it.  However, sometimes I berate myself for not being able to do it alone and think I was crazy for having the surgery.  This is just my crazy coming out to play.  My one piece of advice for newbies is do not waist your honeymoon phrase as it will never be this easy to lose.  You might even think you are cured, but if you are a food addict you won't be.  As others have said this is the time to do the head work.  I would start now before surgery.  No regrets.   Daily commitment will become part of your life.  

Hi Kim,

You've mentioned the honeymoon phase a few times.  Are you saying that when you initially have the surgery, you lose at a quicker rate so make sure to stick to the plan.  If you start straying and not following the plan everything slows down?  Just curious.  Not that I plan on doing all this work to fall back into my old bad habits.  GOD forbid.  That would be heartbreaking.   :(

Ginnie, read about the honeymoon period at the link below. It's a long thread but a good one.

http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/topic/66715-the-honeymoon-period/

Hi Kim,

You've mentioned the honeymoon phase a few times.  Are you saying that when you initially have the surgery, you lose at a quicker rate so make sure to stick to the plan.  If you start straying and not following the plan everything slows down?  Just curious.  Not that I plan on doing all this work to fall back into my old bad habits.  GOD forbid.  That would be heartbreaking.   :(

Read the thread Wendy provided, it's a good one. Essentially the honeymoon period is that time right after surgery when loosing is easiest. That said, it can still be sabotaged if you don't follow I your program.

Hi Kim,

You got it.  I have read and know some people that did not follow their plan and pushed themselves into maintenance  before they reached their desired goal.  I would like to add that even after the honeymoon phrase is over you can still lose it is  just not as easy.  Maybe easy is not the right word as none of this is easy.  

Thanks for posting Wendy. Does anyone know how long the honeymoon phase lasts? How many months after surgery? Thanks.

7 months, almost to the day, for me

It's funny to see this question pop up occassionally. Now that I think about it, I'd agree with people saying that this feeling of realization whether it is time to do it or not comes very individually. For me, it was the 'Wish I had done it earlier' regret. I missed out on a lot of fun, but now I also understand I shouldn't dwell on the past and stay focused on the moment, and the future. For me, now is good, and I'm more capable of doing things that used to cause me a headache. I'm happy I got this tool, it only helped me achieve a much better version of myself. I'm still working on my goals, but I trully agree with everyone else who have no regrets.

Thanks for posting Wendy. Does anyone know how long the honeymoon phase lasts? How many months after surgery? Thanks.

Its different for everyone.  For me it was right around 13 months.

im concerned with your comment that "everything will be fine" once you have surgery. the surgery is just the beginning - its at least as much a head game as anything else.

my one regret is that i didn't go into counseling beforehand. i still need to go. the head hunger/emotional stressers are the big things for me. and as far as pushing yourself into maitenance too early - i fear i may have done that. i've been in a stall for 10 weeks, and not sure if it's ever going to let up.

i don't wish i got the surgery sooner. i wasn't ready, mentally or emotionally. had i gone through surgery immediately after college like i was thinking, i would have abused it and probably would have regained.

I keep talking myself out of it because of that what if? That lingers in my head.

I'm working on my BS in psych from Drexel, and I just recently took a course "The psychology of eating disorders and obesity." The only weight loss methods that consistently work long term are the sleeve and bypass. Every single other program has abysmal long term weight loss.  

The course was about 1/2 obesity and 1/2 anorexia, but the half concerning obesity really tipped the scale in favor of surgery for me. Right now I'm a little over 3 months post op and I'm down 85 lbs. There's no doubt in my mind that I made the right choice. 

Physically I feel so much better. Less pain more energy but the hair loss is getting to me. I'm 15 months post op and tho it's slowed it's still coming out. Trying to maintain sanity. I see my scalp in front and its killing me. I've always had thick curly hair and I'm seeing it leave daily without regrowth. This apparenyly isn't the case With most ppl. I'm just scared I've got something horrible happening in my body causing the hair loss and that I'll be bald one day. I'd prob still do the surgery again for other health reasons. Wishing u little to no hair loss.

No regrets ever. Never even had a twinge of "buyers remorse" through some of the immediate postop recovery issues or through the stalls. Down 100 pounds, maintaining below goal and looking forward to growing old as a thin person. SO thankful my days of crazy dieting are behind me.

Any of the changes I've had to make to deal with stress and emotions and social situations and "missing out" on certain things are a small price to pay for this wonderful new life.

Sometimes I mourn the loss of my old habits and the comfort I found in them, but then I remember the guilt and self loathing that followed, and I know I have absolutely done the right thing. I love the new me, down 89lbs, loving exercise, wearing size 7 jeans, and simply feeling amazing. At 10 months out from sleeve, I've got a lifetime to master this, I love a challenge :)

I'm only two months post-op, but I have absolutely no regrets.  My surgery went smoothly with no complications at all, and I healed easily.  There are obvious changes to your life to adjust to, but it's all good!  I'm down 31 lbs, and my blood pressure is dropping, too.  I am grateful I was able to do this for myself.

My only issue has been GERD which is problematic at times, even on a PPI.

I don't have real regret just pissed off sometimes when I vomit acid, but it is better than being diabetic.

I also like wearing a size 4 instead of a 22.

I agree with other posters about getting your head straight before surgery.

After surgery the food part was relatively easy to figure out. Protein, limited carbs, fluids, yada,yada...........

What was much harder was coming up with new strategies to replace eating junk and calories when I was stressed.

I sought a therapist who has helped me a lot .

I also get support and suggestions from people here on TT.

Welcome as you start your journey to a healthier you.

I had a number of complications after surgery....so I have had regrets at times...But today I spent the day at the mall...a size 4 petite goes a long way to taking care of those regrets.  I never ever expected to be that size...and it was totally fun to shop today...I remember when it was nothing but self loathing and frustration. Today I'm glad to be where I am!

I had a number of complications after surgery....so I have had regrets at times...But today I spent the day at the mall...a size 4 petite goes a long way to taking care of those regrets.  I never ever expected to be that size...and it was totally fun to shop today...I remember when it was nothing but self loathing and frustration. Today I'm glad to be where I am!

Single size clothing is truly amazing and mind blowing.

I have gone fron a size 20/22, ( 2x) to a size 4 in most brands. A few size 6'es in some brands.

I keep reading all these "no regrets" posts and I hope to join you there in the future. Right now, though, I am a month post-op and sitting here having eaten about four oz of yogurt an hour ago and I'm still uncomfortably full and feel a little nauseated. Since surgery, I have had anxiety that I never had before. I want to be excited about losing weight and getting healthy, but my brain won't let me, I guess. Instead, I feel like I have butterflies in my stomach all the time. Sometimes it gets so bad I feel like I could jump out of my skin. 

I picked this surgery because it keeps the pyloric valve intact and because of the loss of most of the hunger hormone. Now, I have NO desire to eat anything. I don't even want to. I have to make myself eat. I don't miss my ravenous appetite, but I do miss the hunger, eat, satiety cycle and I would like to have some appetite back again. :( The joy of food is gone and I want to cry just typing this.  I see posts from people who are much further out talk about overeating and gaining weight again and I'm surprised.  I've been told the stomach will stretch but that seems so far away right now. I don't like this extreme restriction. 

Edited by silverwhitemoon
left out a word

9 hours ago, silverwhitemoon said:

I keep reading all these "no regrets" posts and I hope to join you there in the future. Right now, though, I am a month post-op and sitting here having eaten about four oz of yogurt an hour ago and I'm still uncomfortably full and feel a little nauseated. Since surgery, I have had anxiety that I never had before. I want to be excited about losing weight and getting healthy, but my brain won't let me, I guess. Instead, I feel like I have butterflies in my stomach all the time. Sometimes it gets so bad I feel like I could jump out of my skin. 

I picked this surgery because it keeps the pyloric valve intact and because of the loss of most of the hunger hormone. Now, I have NO desire to eat anything. I don't even want to. I have to make myself eat. I don't miss my ravenous appetite, but I do miss the hunger, eat, satiety cycle and I would like to have some appetite back again. :( The joy of food is gone and I want to cry just typing this.  I see posts from people who are much further out talk about overeating and gaining weight again and I'm surprised.  I've been told the stomach will stretch but that seems so far away right now. I don't like this extreme restriction. 

I had to FORCE myself to eat and drink for the first 4 months.  Believe me, I took no pleasure in either, but I treated my protein and fluid requirements like a prescription and got them in anyways.  By 6 months I was enjoying food again, and at 10 months my appetite returned in full force.   

Believe me, what you experience in the first few months is nothing like what your sleeve life will be like.  Remember you just had major surgery with 80% of an organ removed.  Can you imagine a heart bypass patient trying to run a marathon 1 month out?  Not gonna happen, but it certainly could at some point after they've recovered.  Or someone who had knee surgery wouldn't be out skiing 1 month postop, but they probably could in 6 months.

Be careful what you wish for.....maintenance would be SO much easier if I had the extreme restriction and lack of interest in food like those first few months.  The possibility of regain is very real because the mental struggles and portion control only get harder the farther out you get.

10 hours ago, ThinCVT said:

I had to FORCE myself to eat and drink for the first 4 months.  Believe me, I took no pleasure in either, but I treated my protein and fluid requirements like a prescription and got them in anyways.  By 6 months I was enjoying food again, and at 10 months my appetite returned in full force.   

Believe me, what you experience in the first few months is nothing like what your sleeve life will be like.  Remember you just had major surgery with 80% of an organ removed.  Can you imagine a heart bypass patient trying to run a marathon 1 month out?  Not gonna happen, but it certainly could at some point after they've recovered.  Or someone who had knee surgery wouldn't be out skiing 1 month postop, but they probably could in 6 months.

Be careful what you wish for.....maintenance would be SO much easier if I had the extreme restriction and lack of interest in food like those first few months.  The possibility of regain is very real because the mental struggles and portion control only get harder the farther out you get.

Do you have a fairly large sleeve? How much food could you eat now?

I regret it. I am only one month out, though. Since surgery, I have been suffering through anxiety and depression, and I never had that before.  I can barely sleep and I hate food and eating is difficult. I can only eat a tiny bit of food and I'm usually nauseous when I do and acid shoots up my throat after I eat. Which makes me not want to eat so I drink most of my "meals". I've got some pretty bad reflux that is being controlled by medication - just barely.  If I could go back and not get this surgery, I would. 

Those are the negatives. The positive so far are that I've lost a LOT of weight that would have taken me months or even years if I tried to do it without surgery. Day of surgery I weighed 300 pounds and today I weigh 265. That's 35 pounds in a month.