Collylo

just developed anemia after 2 years

My bloodwork just came back anemic after two years. That explains why I have been so tired the last few months. I have started taking ferrous fumerate on my own to deal with it.

Does anyone else with anemia have any advice how to get my iron back up to par and how long does it take?

I don't see my PCP until July and I just don't feel like going to the dr's right now. I can wait, right?

You should probably go see the doctor, but can you add more either red meat or green leafy veggies to your diet? Or legumes? If not, look at your multi vitamin and see if it has added iron. If not, see if they have one that does have added iron. Mine does and my numbers come back good, but I also eat a lot of poultry and seafood.

That sucks, though. I hope you can get that resolved soon. Anemia is no fun.

I think I have not been eating enough meat. I have iron in my multi. My bloodwork was fine 6 months ago. As you know, meat can be hard to eat and digest, so I think I may have been avoiding it too long. I eat a salad everyday for dinner which doesn't leave much room for meat/protein. I have started the iron and I think I feel a little better. I have upped my meat too. I hope I can get it in check because I am sick of taking all these extra pills now!

I eat plenty of meat and still have low iron.  The only real "complication" I've had so far, so I still feel like I am doing great.

I'm almost 3 years out and just found out I have low iron, too.  My calcium is on the low side as well and my B-12 is borderline.  I haven't stopped taking vitamins, so I'm going to try to be more careful about getting the nutrients in. 

The 2-3 year mark must be the time when labs start to slip. Makes me wonder if my PCP is enough coverage, but I do think so. I see her 3-4 times a year and the labs are tracked. I have not planned to return to surgeon

I'm almost 3 years out and just found out I have low iron, too.  My calcium is on the low side as well and my B-12 is borderline.  I haven't stopped taking vitamins, so I'm going to try to be more careful about getting the nutrients in. 

If you have anemia, you're not going to be able to increase your iron levels by much from food.

Most people with iron deficiency need to supplement with 150-200 mg per day of elemental iron to get their levels up.

Very good sources of heme iron, with 3.5 milligrams or more per serving, include:

3 ounces of beef or chicken liver
3 ounces of clams, mollusks, or mussels
3 ounces of oysters

Good sources of heme iron, with 2.1 milligrams or more per serving, include:

3 ounces of cooked beef
3 ounces of canned sardines, canned in oil
3 ounces of cooked turkey

Other sources of heme iron, with 0.7 milligrams or more per serving, include:

3 ounces of chicken
3 ounces of halibut, haddock, perch, salmon, or tuna
3 ounces of ham
3 ounces of veal

I choose carbonyl (and/or polysaccharide iron) because it's the least abdominally distressing (for me) and 100% available so if you take 60 mg of carbonyl or polysaccharide iron, you'll get 60 mg of iron unlike ferrous fumarate.  60 mg of that nets you just 19.8 mg of iron.   

Carbonyl and Polysaccharide has 100% elemental iron.
Ferrous fumarate has approximately 33% elemental iron.
Ferrous sulfate has 20% elemental iron.
Ferrous gluconate has 12% elemental iron.

im with Cinwa, it will be very challenging to get in everything via food alone, especially with RNY. I would start looking at taking vitamins again.

My iron levels are low as well.. they were low the day of surgery and haven't come up. So, I'm going to be taking an iron supplement. Does this mean I will always have to take iron? for life? or do I just take it long enough to correct the problem, and then I'll be ok?

Also, how does someone get low on iron?  Since I was low on iron before surgery, I can't blame it on the bypass. And I've always eaten a lot of beef... so, what would cause me to be low on iron?

I had it for a couple years before my reverse. The pills and food stop working for me and i just had no other choice but the Iv infusions. Hope you start to feel better soon.

Im taking supplements now. I am seeing my DR next month for repeat blood work (it was done about 2 months ago)... if it doesnt show an increase, she said I have to go on IV infusions. 

I took 325mg of ferrous fumerate for 6 months and my iron is back to normal. Highly recommend this high level of elemental iron. I get it from Amazon. The ones at the local store do not have enough elemental iron in them to do the trick. I feel so much better. I even ran a marathon relay 6 weeks ago.

Thanks for sharing and glad you're feeling better.  Another example of why it is SO IMPORTANT to continue the recommended supplements and have bloodwork done AT LEAST annually to catch any deficiencies and make adjustments before they turn into health problems that are difficult to treat and correct.  You are lucky since some deficiencies can cause irreversible damage.

congrats on the relay!