Ok, I am NOT Post-Op but I need to know how many drains are put into you during this surgery and when are they removed..OMG!

I'm thinking the ng tube (ok, I can handle that one and now I hear a JP drain?????)no way!

I didn't have any drains when I had my gastric bypass. However, when I had my hip replacement and another abdominal surgery, I had drains. Neither were still in when I left the hospital.

I didn't have any drains that I know of..

No drains here.

I had a JP drain and it stayed in until my 1 week appointment. My understanding from my surgeon is that one of the main reasons he uses a drain is so that the fluid can be tested, while you're still in the hospital, to determine early on if there's a leak. They test the amylace levels of the draining fluid. I stayed an extra day because my levels jumped up above 650 after the first night.

Here's an article on the subject:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19476853

Edited by Tri-Delta4Life

I came home with a drain and truthfully, it was more of an annoyance than anything else.  I had an umbilical repair during my RNY so maybe that's why.

I had to empty it  daily and removal wasn't anything to worry about.

I had a drain for a little more than a week post op because I had a leak. He would've removed it before I left the hospital otherwise. Like Cinwa said, having the drain was just an annoyance. I have a very weak stomach but got used to emptying it. The day he was removing it, he told me to take a double dose of pain meds before coming in. I'm not going to lie, I found the removal to be pretty uncomfortable, but not so bad that I wouldn't do it again. I have, however, heard that tummy tucks and lifts involve multiple drains post op and that is the reason I'm now afraid of plastic surgery. 1 was tolerable, I don't know how I'd handle multiple. Not trying to scare you- just wanted to give you an honest perspective.

I had a drain with my revision surgery, but not with my original bypass. It's really not painful but a super annoyance. They took it out before I left the hospital. Taking it out didn't feel too good either.

I had no drains when I got my sleeve done, nor did I have one when my hip was replaced.

I didn't have a drain either. Hopefully you won't need one either. Good luck. 

Nope I will be getting one~~my Surgeon clearly stated "it is his insurance backup".  I guess he does it because it is another way of testing for leaks besides the GI drink.  I know it is uncomfortable to be removed,  many have said it feels like a twisting of your stomach, or a snake moving around.  He assured me it comes out before I leave hospital and "he will give plenty of pain meds before"!

I guess just another hiccup on the Rocky Road!

I didn't know I had a drain until they took it out a few minutes before I left the hospital. No big deal. I also didn't know anything about the NG tube until I read about it here - went in after I was out ----- came out before I came to.

BREATHE........all will be well.