dJean

Home and in pain

I came home from the hospital around . I haven't had any nausea . But when I eat or drink, it causes a lot of pain. I think it's gas. It's low in my belly. Not where the incisions are. I burp a lot but nothing down below. I walk, walk, walk...sip,sip,sip...but it brings nothing but more pain. I have to lay perfectly still and take pain meds for the pain to subside....so that's counter-intuitive to everything I've heard. Otherwise...I'm getting all my liquids in and so far have tolerated water, crystal light, broth, and jello with no problem other than pain. Any suggestions?

A warm drink like tea might be worth a try - that's usually pretty soothing and it can help with the gas.  Gas-X strips help some too.

If it doesn't get any easier in the next day or two, put a call into your surgeon.

I have to call about the gas-ex tomorrow. they told me at the hospital that my surgeon generally doesn't like that very much. So I should call first. Tea sounds good. do you think I could go as far as drinking Smoothe Moves tea?

You had major surgery! Pain is to be expected. Keep up with the pain Meds. It gets better each day.

I would definitely drink some tea. As Gaviv and Cinwa said, you just had major surgery and are healing give it some time.

I wouldnt think you'd need smooth move you have post op pain!

someone just made multiple incisions, pumped you full of gas, and went in and cut and stapled your insides.

im always much more amazed by the people who say they dont have pain!

Well it's good to report that the gas has begun moving both ways. I guess all that walking finally paid off! I actually slept really well in my own bed with the help of a fluffy floor pillow and an airline neck pillow. Still have some surgical pain but the gas and bloating is significantly reduced this morning. Going to try to get that first protein shake down now.

Good to hear you are feeling a bit better dJean!  I find my pouch likes a nice warm cup of tea over cold liquids.  I didn't really have gas pain but I did have REALLY bad diarrhoea in the hospital which was uncomfortable but went away thankfully! 

Djean I'm glad you are doing good. On the other hand I'm struggling to get my fluids in. I hope you continue to heal.

I've been struggling lately. I think the swelling may have increased. I'm now having a hard time getting all my liquids as well. It doesn't help that the protein shakes are sickly sweet to me so I find it difficult to spend 2-3 hours to get them down. 4 oz. per hour is about my limit. I have my follow -up on Monday. I graduated to pudding soft foods this week so trying to eat some of the protein I cottage cheese and eggs. Taste good. But can't get enough in to get the protein numbers up where they need to be. Plus the wait time cuts down on fluid consumption. Drinking/ eating is like a full time job.

Djean, I am only able to drink chicken broth and crushed ice at this moment. I have chosen not to progress to the next level until I can handle my fluids better. Before this I was trying to get my protein shake in- but I was getting sick so I am wondering if I'm lactose intolerant. If I feel better in the morning I'm trying a lactose free milk in my shake and see how that goes.

Ksgal79, I hope you are feeling better today. How is the lactose free milk working for you?

Djean I am not doing too bad this morning. I haven't tried any milk or water yet. I'm kinda gun shy at this moment. I had ice and protein with water and beef broth. I might try tomorrow and see about a different milk. I guess it will take a bit to not be gun shy. It's the first day I felt good and I don't want mess it up.

Djean how's your pain level today?

I'm actually feeling half human today and have managed to get some things done around the house. That's fortunate considering the fact that it has been raining all day therefore walking outside is out of the question. Even the protein shake didn't bother me as much this morning...but I think I will follow our lead and try a different milk. Maybe it will taste better. Soy has always been tough on my stomach so i'll try the light almond milk.... I have to go back to work to Tuesday so keep your fingers crossed that this improvement continues!

Djean I'm glad your feeling half human. I'm feeling the same but maybe quarter human. I did managed to get outside for a few hours for a graduation party. If you like to visit more feel free to email me at brianadey79@yahoo. I hope you will do ok to return to work by Tuesday. I want to take 2 weeks but unsure I might have to take 3 weeks. We will see how it goes.