Spaghetti sauce question

I keep reading recipes of using cottage cheese and cheese and spaghetti sauce. What brand of spaghetti sauce would you use as a gastric bypass patient that is low carb and low sugar? Or do you make your own sauce??

I keep reading recipes of using cottage cheese and cheese and spaghetti sauce. What brand of spaghetti sauce would you use as a gastric bypass patient that is low carb and low sugar? Or do you make your own sauce??

I used to make a dish with mozzerella cheese and ricotta cheese and top it with just a lil marinara sauce. I looked for as low carb as I could find for sauce, even then I only used a couple of tablespoons of sauce...very minimal per serving....

All sauce with tomatoes will have some natural sugars- you just want to avoid added sugars. I read labels like crazy and choose the least available. Rinaldi has a marinara that I like that is really inexpensive too. I use it in the crock pot over chicken thighs- delish!

Edit to add:

http://www.francescorinaldi.com/products/product_detail/16

Edited by cherylm321

I usually make my own sauce, don't really care for the branded jars I've tried. I'm a label reader too.

Thank you all for your responses.

I make my own, too, and I use Truvia to cut the acidity of the tomatoes over regular sugar. It is very tasty.  :)

Does anyone have a good recipe for cocktail sauce?

I do it the quick and easy way by mixing horseradish and ketchup, and lemon if I have any. I usually go heavy on the horseradish, or you can go easy depending on your taste.

Typically, I'll mix up a single serving in a custard bowl for dipping shrimp, topping scrambled egg, fish, and sometimes hamburger.

I liked cottage cheese with a teaspoon of spaghetti sauce warmed in the microwave. I used so little I used Prego, it didn't upset me.. Now we make our own but it's really chunky with sautéed onions peppers, garlic and tomatoes..

All sauce with tomatoes will have some natural sugars- you just want to avoid added sugars. I read labels like crazy and choose the least available. Rinaldi has a marinara that I like that is really inexpensive too. I use it in the crock pot over chicken thighs- delish!

Edit to add:

http://www.francescorinaldi.com/products/product_detail/16

I just started the crock pot with chicken thighs and marinara. I did use sauce from a jar this time, trying one I haven't tried before, it was $3.99, not the price on the website. Tastes pretty good cold, looking forward to supper.  http://www.mezzetta.com/product/10700948.html?Search=homemade

The chicken is good and moist and easy to eat, but I really don't care for the sauce -- will go back to my own.

The chicken is good and moist and easy to eat, but I really don't care for the sauce -- will go back to my own.

Maybe you can melt some mozzarella on top- or parmesan to doctor it up...

• 6 years later...
On 5/7/2015 at 11:17 AM, duffman27 said:

I used to make a dish with mozzerella cheese and ricotta cheese and top it with just a lil marinara sauce. I looked for as low carb as I could find for sauce, even then I only used a couple of tablespoons of sauce...very minimal per serving....

That sounds like the crustless pizza recipe I read!