mommytyree

How did I let this happen?

Did you ever seek counseling or therapy for your eating disorder?  And yes, not being able to stop yourself from drinking a bottle of wine and a pizza IS an eating disorder.  As you've discovered, fighting obesity is way more than just surgery.  Perhaps you need another tool.   You sought out a surgeon to help with the physical part, why not seek out a psych that specializes in obesity and eating disorders to help with the mental part?

I wonder how mommytyree is doing - she hasn't been back since May.

The surgery is not a miracle cure, especially for those of us who don´t feel restriction. I think I don´t feel it since maybe 6 months out. 

The intestine adapts and starts to absorb more. Here´s an article that you all should read. I´ve highlighted in yellow the most relevant parts. This is not just about bariatric patients but for anyone who has had part of their intestines removed or has had atrophy for other reasons. If doctors ever find a way to maintain the level of absorption low, we might have a definite cure for obesity. 

This explains why people who keep the exact same diet (calories and quality of the food) just start putting on weight at around 1.5 or 2 years post op. It´s not just about what we do but the fact that we need less calories than before.

I say to the newbies, take full advantage of your honeymoon period, lose as much weight as possible (it´s ok if you go a little below goal weight because some of it will come back). Maintaining will be the real challenge. 

My lowest weight was 163. Now I´m 172 and struggling. Trying to get back to a very low carb diet. My surgeon said the no drinking while eating rule was nonsense, but I´m beginning to think it is not. I´ll try doing that separately from now on.

WJG-18-6357.pdf

There is a wonderful guy named Rob who is in a support group I attend that has a video on YouTube.  I think that this demonstrates what happens when you drink while eating.  I have attached a link.

1 hour ago, Irish Rose said:

There is a wonderful guy named Rob who is in a support group I attend that has a video on YouTube.  I think that this demonstrates what happens when you drink while eating.  I have attached a link.

Irish Rose, thanks for sharing this. It makes perfect sense to me but I´m very confused as to why my surgeon would think it is nonesense. He is considered to be the best bariatric surgeon in my country, he is highly qualified and has published several papers on RNY gastric bypass.

All the same, I´m starting this right away and I hope to notice a difference in my hunger and weightloss. I´ll keep you guys posted.

For most of us in the US, we were told no drinking within 30 minutes before or after eating.  For before, I understand it helps to empty the stomach of the water or liquid.  As for after I was told it pushes food through the stomach too quickly and you feel hungry quicker.  

I am at my 2 year mark and have gained 10 pounds i am sooo freaking out i need to figure out how to get back on track i never reached my goal feeling really down . any advice 

Edited by kytten

1 hour ago, kytten said:

I am at my 2 year mark and have gained 10 pounds i am sooo freaking out i need to figure out how to get back on track i never reached my goal feeling really down . any advice 

Get back to basics; protein first, limit carbs, up fluids and track everything you eat and drink.

Wonder how Cherylm321 and karensthin are doing? They used to post quite often. 

Im sorry you're struggling,me too! I'm  glad I'm not alone. I'm 6 years post-op, I started at 275 and got down to 170 (goal was 160) I maintained for 3years, I had a strict dedication that I didn't even know I was capable of. Then...I got married to a "foodie" I gained up to 206lbs. It isn't my husbands fault..I totally own my poor choices.  But, I want to get down to my original goal of 160.  My 3 sins are drinking my calories..Starbucks specifically, less exercise and drinking liquids with meals. It took more food to get full...therefore I was consuming more calories. My surgeon told me to limit myself to 1000-1100 calories a day for the rest of my life. I'm consuming closer to 1400. I want to get back on track asap.  Before I gain anymore weight. 

Edited by PaigeTaylor

Hi Mommytree,

How is your reboot going?

i feel your pain as I am in this same nightmare as you, honeymoon over, obsessed with food, out of control with the carb and sugar monster, weight gain 10 PDFs and gaining.

i am so soul destroyed........when will this cycle ever end?

if you want an email buddy to be accountable with, or share myfitnessal calorie log in, I'd love some company and to give you support?

big hugs,

Steph

Steph, 

Sorry to learn you are going thought such a rough patch.

I went through it right after the holidays. I guess carbs couldn´t be avoided then and my addiction came back full force. I thought I was going down the spiral again but was able to stop it (gained 6 kilos).

What worked for me was forcing myself to excercise outdoors. The endorfins and the sun made me feel good, feeling good helpped my will power and I was able to go back to a low carb diet. In turn, weightloss started again, very, very, slowly but it´s shedding. Since I´m not eating refined carbs, I don´t crave them as much. I do allow myself to have a desert on weekends though. I´m down 4 of the 6 kilos I had gained.

Don´t lose hope. You can do it too. We all have ups and downs but are now better equipped to deal with the downs. Good luck!

Thanks so much for replying to me blame it on the genes. Really great to hear your tips for losing your regain, well done! 

Tomorrow is a new day, I'm going to enjoy the outdoors for a walk, cut the carbs and stop sabotaging myself!

goodluck with those last two kilos

sx

11 hours ago, Saggy16 said:

Thanks so much for replying to me blame it on the genes. Really great to hear your tips for losing your regain, well done! 

Tomorrow is a new day, I'm going to enjoy the outdoors for a walk, cut the carbs and stop sabotaging myself!

goodluck with those last two kilos

sx

Thanks!

How did your day go? Did you go for a walk? I hope, whatever you did, you enjoyed yourself. It´s pretty nice and sunny here too -that alone makes me happy :) 

I have 2 kilos to lose before I get back to my lowest weight post-op. But I need to lose another 4 to get to my goal (13 pounds to lose in all). I just refuse to stop when I´m so very close... so very close to having lost HALF MY BODY WEIGHT! Never thought it was possible.

After that, I wouldn´t mind loosing some more and maybe getting back to my lowest weight ever (60 kilos or 132 pounds), albeit that was when I was 20. That time, I lost all the weight on my own through just diet and excercise. It would be a huge feat and maybe I´m being too ambitious but what´s the harm in dreaming? 

So, this gives me 3 goals, 2 that are totally achievable and one that's just a maybe. I might have to split the 3 one into much smaller goals.

Let´s keep in touch and support eachother.

blameitonthegenes

Hey so was looking at your profile and noticed your highest weight was 309 and you got down to 132lbs that is quite amazing...i'm still pre op and hope to be as successful as you...Question...do you have a lot of access skin? 

20 hours ago, Readytotransform said:

blameitonthegenes

Hey so was looking at your profile and noticed your highest weight was 309 and you got down to 132lbs that is quite amazing...i'm still pre op and hope to be as successful as you...Question...do you have a lot of access skin? 

Actually, I´m 168.4 pounds now and aiming for 155 when I will have lost half my body weight.

I consider myself very lucky because I don´t have much excess skin. I only notice it on my tummy, which looks like I´ve had a baby or something (but no baby) and my arms and legs are not perfectly toned but then they never were before either. I still wear tank tops and sleeveless dresses and rock them. My boobs look a little empty if you know what I mean, but not awful, they still look pretty good. If I reach goal, I might consider getting implants and a tummy tuck but I´m not sure I want to yet. I don´t intend to wear a bikini anyway!

I´d tell you to not worry too much about excess skin. First of all because you are very young so your skin is more elastic and even if you have it at the end, it is well worth it because you get your life and health back. The surgery literally saved my life and I don´t regret a thing. You can prepare for the excess skin by using the right body creams and lifting weights. And I believe most health insurance cover reconstructive surgery (at least in my country).

Your stats are very similar to mine but you are already losing weight before your surgery, that is a huge advantage! I´ve read that weight lost pre-op is an indicator of long-term success after surgery so keep it up.

You are at the beginning of a great adventure. The beginning of your new life. How exciting!

On April 22, 2016 at 2:06 PM, blameitonthegenes said:

Actually, I´m 168.4 pounds now and aiming for 155 when I will have lost half my body weight.

I consider myself very lucky because I don´t have much excess skin. I only notice it on my tummy, which looks like I´ve had a baby or something (but no baby) and my arms and legs are not perfectly toned but then they never were before either. I still wear tank tops and sleeveless dresses and rock them. My boobs look a little empty if you know what I mean, but not awful, they still look pretty good. If I reach goal, I might consider getting implants and a tummy tuck but I´m not sure I want to yet. I don´t intend to wear a bikini anyway!

I´d tell you to not worry too much about excess skin. First of all because you are very young so your skin is more elastic and even if you have it at the end, it is well worth it because you get your life and health back. The surgery literally saved my life and I don´t regret a thing. You can prepare for the excess skin by using the right body creams and lifting weights. And I believe most health insurance cover reconstructive surgery (at least in my country).

Your stats are very similar to mine but you are already losing weight before your surgery, that is a huge advantage! I´ve read that weight lost pre-op is an indicator of long-term success after surgery so keep it up.

You are at the beginning of a great adventure. The beginning of your new life. How exciting!

Thank u so much....that was great information I just want to congratulate u on your success..

I think it's important to keep perspective.

While it says a lot being concerned with regaining a few pounds, it says more that you're actually concerned and aware. A lot of my personal growth during the last two years has been about being kind to myself. I don't think beating one's self up because of slipping a bit is a healthy approach to take. We should all be diligent with what and how we consume post-op, but it shouldn't equate failure if a couple of lbs are gained. It's a marathon, not a race. Know that there will be fluctuation in weight. When there's a pattern, correct it and know that you are capable because you've already come this far. 

Praise God for all of you on this forum, reading through has greatly motivated me. I will be 2 years post op in September. I got pregnant 6 months post op so that screwed up some of my goals. I am now 7 months post delivery, came down to 200 lbs (initial weight was 330), but in the past 2 weeks I added 8 pounds. Plus I have been bouncing around for a while. I am breast-feeding but baby also takes the bottle. I am still having excruciating back pain and its excercabted anytime the scale goes up. It's time for me to go back to the basics....

Hi DeeBabe

Congratulations on having a baby. I love babies.

I'm sorry you're struggling with back pain. I suffered from it pre op. When I started losing weight the pain subsided.

You've come so far. Best of luck on reaching your goal.

Thanks dear! 

WOW.

I gotta say at 8 weeks out this thread scares the holy hell out of me.

I see tons of success stories on here at 2, 3 and 4 years out, but if this many people are posting imagine how many are suffering in silence right now.

Makes me more than a little nervous about long term success

I am curious about some of the successes what their habits, routines, triggers, and transference techniques are.