leigha

Shark week during surgery

I was instructed to stop taking my birth control yesterday, they said normally they would have stopped it 2 weeks prior, so now I will be on my period during surgery and the first few days after recovery :eek: . I called my nurse and she said it is not the first time and it won't be the last. But GOOD LORD , I suffer from anxiety and PTSD. Big things I can handle, its the little things that break me. This has already got me upset. Men have it so dang easy. They don't have to worry about being pregnant, taking birthcontrol, or having an organ shed blood for a few days every month for the bulk of their lives. I don't want this to happen and there is nothing I can do to stop it.

I am wondering if anyone out there has had this happen to them durning any surgery?

Yeah, that sucks. It's looking like I'll start my period the day of surgery as well. I figure it'll be the last thing I'm thinking about those first few days after surgery, then it will be over and forgotten.

Even if you weren't scheduled to start, many women get their period immediately after surgery brought on by the stress and/or trauma of surgery.

In the scheme of things, it's nothing. Focus on the positives

Thread hijack ... the title of your thread makes me quote "Finding Nemo" every time I read it... "....'Ello! My name is Bruce!"

It would be incredibly funny if your surgeon's name was Bruce. I would totally say that to him.

Edited by Sleevarilla

'Fish are friends, not food!'

Don't worry about your period, the only one who will notice will be you- truly.

You have bigger fish to fry

I had my period duringperson my gastric bypass  surgery, the most embarrassing thing for me personally was having my nurses and cnas help me and clean me because I couldn't do it myself the first day. After walking a lot more than they expected not only on the day of surgery but until I was released they started letting Me use the bathroom after the Cathader was taken out I was able to use my tampons myself. It was a pride thing but my sister is a cna on a different floor and she just kept reminding me that it's their job and not to worry or stress out about it. 

I did, as I said in the other thread. I had no problems with self care. I found it an irritant, not a hurdle.

I had my period duringperson my gastric bypass  surgery, the most embarrassing thing for me personally was having my nurses and cnas help me and clean me because I couldn't do it myself the first day. After walking a lot more than they expected not only on the day of surgery but until I was released they started letting Me use the bathroom after the Cathader was taken out I was able to use my tampons myself. It was a pride thing but my sister is a cna on a different floor and she just kept reminding me that it's their job and not to worry or stress out about it. 

Don't worry. Nurses have seen much worse than some menstrual blood.

relax and move forward in a positive direction.

My period started the day before I had my surgery.  Usually, I have extremely light, irregular periods.  Thanks to the blood thinners that they put you on after surgery to prevent clots, I ended up having a very heavy period that lasted over two weeks.  Not fun.  But other than that, it wasn't terribly inconvenient.  It was funny that the nurses couldn't seem to manage to pass on, from one shift to the next, that I was menstruating, and every time I went to the bathroom, I would get asked, "Did you know you have blood in your urine?"  I have to admit, by the end of it, I got a little testy with them, saying, "Yeah, I do, thanks.  I'm on my period.  I have been for several days now."