Why can't we swallow pills?

I can't find any information on why we have trouble swallowing pills after a gastric bypass. Nothing was done to our throats, but it's apparently common for pills to get stuck in our throats. Anyone know why? I'm just curious.

I swallow small or medium size pills all the time. I only have problems with large one because of the amount of water it takes to swallow it because the water comes back up. 

I could not swallow pills for the firsT year or so. I think they get stuck for the very same reason food sticks if its no chewed to bits.

It's almost 2 yrs post-op for me, and I still can't swallow a pill larger than 3/4 the size of a Flinstone's vitamin.

Other than the initial post-op period, I've never been told to look for chewable or liquid options and I haven't had a problem with pill forms of anything.

It's almost 2 yrs post-op for me, and I still can't swallow a pill larger than 3/4 the size of a Flinstone's vitamin.

You might want that checked out. I have no problems, either, at 3 months out.

I have a hard time too with the larger pills. Small ones don't seem to be a problem but the big ones are terrible, especially the multivitamin. Makes me wanna vomit when that nasty thing gets stuck in my throat : /

I can swallow pills, like maybe ten at a time. Mind you that I.d rather be taking none, but that's,what it is for now!

I swallow pills with no problems.

Edited by ABaker

I don't have a problem swallowing pills. But, my surgeon said to swallow nothing larger than a TicTac because of absorption issues and the possibility of it getting stuck in the stoma not the throat. And, he said that's for life. But he has also been more cautious on many other issues that other surgeons are not. For example, I am never to have coffee that's not decaffeinated again. I follow my surgeons' advice and recommendations on everything, no matter what other surgeons say.

Ok, so maybe it's just an uncommon thing that happens. In the almost 2 yrs since my GB, I've had 23 scopes (last one 5 days ago) due to bleeding ulcers, strictures and gastritis). So if something was wrong in my throat I assume he would have seen it. I use Flinstone's vitamins for a multivitamin since I can't swallow adult ones. My other issue has been the calcium citrate. I've always gotten the chewable ones (because it's like eating candy but made for barbaric patients, but wanted a break). So, I ordered the petite pills. They're about 1.25 times the size of a Flinstone's vitamin, and I needed to take 6/day! I choked on just 1. So those will all go to waste. I'm back to the chewables now. Before surgery I could swallow ANY size pill made. With my smaller pills, I can swallow about 4 at a time.

Edited by mswanson502
  • 9 months later...

I took pills tonight but feel heartburn and a lump stuck in chest. How do I "unstick"? now getting intestinal cramping. Been feeling this for half an hour, would have thought it all dissolved by now!