Bangkokjacks

Coffee - Caf or decaf?

I know that full caf coffee is a diuretic and we need to be keeping our hydration up but would one or 2 cups of full caf coffee a day be a problem? Or should we just stick to decaf?

I'm only 5 days out from my bypass, so I have a while before I'll be drinking coffee (I think?) but I do so love a cup of coffee when I first get to work in the morning!

I drink half caff

My surgeon was OK with regular coffee provided I was already meeting my fluid goals.

My program was like Cinwa's as long as you're meeting your fluid goals its fine to drink caffeine.  That said, I haven't had caffeine since surgery, I only drink decaf now so everything counts toward my fluid goal.  I'm fine with it as caffeine never did much for me anyway, its the taste of coffee I'm after.

My program was like Cinwa's as long as you're meeting your fluid goals its fine to drink caffeine.  That said, I haven't had caffeine since surgery, I only drink decaf now so everything counts toward my fluid goal.  I'm fine with it as caffeine never did much for me anyway, its the taste of coffee I'm after.

We are alike in so many ways. I prefer the taste vs the caffeine........

We are alike in so many ways. I prefer the taste vs the caffeine........

I knew there was a reason we get along so well.

I was told no cafine. I drink decaf cold; hated coffee before surgery

My surgeons,s NUT said no caffeine ever.She said it causes ulcers. I'm glad to hear that eventually I can have some coffee! I love coffee...but the real stuff. Can't stand decaf.

My surgeons,s NUT said no caffeine ever.She said it causes ulcers. I'm glad to hear that eventually I can have some coffee! I love coffee...but the real stuff. Can't stand decaf.

You should follow your surgeons instructions and not what other people say and do.

If your surgeon says no caffeine, you shouldn't drink caffeine.

If that is a problem, discuss it with your surgeon directly.

Listen to your surgeon. She is the expert in your life now.

Best...

I drink 1 cup of regular and 2 cups of decaf a day! I LOVE LOVE LOVE my coffee! The regular can't be used for your liquid goals, but I use my other 2 cups toward my liquid. I also drink 8 ounces of skim milk in my coffee so those two drinks count as 28 ounces toward my daily liquid requirements!

My surgeon also allowed me to have coffee when she discharged me. She told me limit it to 2 cups a day and that it couldn't count as my fluid intake. I use low fat creamer and sugar free sweetner.

I drink 2-3 cups of reg coffee daily.

Not so much for the caffeine as for the flavor. I have not found a good full flavored decaf.

And I just bought a 24 oz Tervis cup to be sure I get enough water. I find that it helps me sip just enough at a time.

I only do decaf and prefer Dunkin Donuts, but I'm very simple with my coffee and don't liked flavored varieties preferring it black.

I haven't had coffee, caffeinated or otherwise, since 2 weeks before my surgery. Prior to surgery, I can't think of any period in my adult life that I went more than a couple of days without coffee. I think I'm just going to give it up for good at this point.

Edited by Jabsie
typo

I have some hypoglicemia and have been trying to follow these rules:

http://blog.joslin.org/2017/03/dealing-with-post-bariatric-surgery-hypoglycemia/

But it's so hard to give up caffeine!!! I know I have to quit but am still looking for someone to tell me: it's ok, go ahead and have your cup of heaven with caffeine every morning LOL

4 hours ago, blameitonthegenes said:

I have some hypoglicemia and have been trying to follow these rules:

http://blog.joslin.org/2017/03/dealing-with-post-bariatric-surgery-hypoglycemia/

But it's so hard to give up caffeine!!! I know I have to quit but am still looking for someone to tell me: it's ok, go ahead and have your cup of heaven with caffeine every morning LOL

I dealt with severe hypoglycemia from early out until about a couple of years ago.  I still deal with it occasionally and it's usually carbs that are the culprit (breads, crackers, cereals and beans etc.).

But I was never told not to drink caffeine - just limit it and drink a lot more fluid if I was having more than a mug of regular coffee.

These days I have a big old mug of very strong regular coffee in the morning - if I have a hankering for more, I go to decaf (Dunkin Donuts has the best decaf I've found in the stores) but I still like it very strong.

Like @cinwa I wasn't warned against caffeine. However, I HAVE found that as I get smaller, my usual caffeine intake of half a pot (which lasts me through morning, up till around noon) has a bigger impact on my sleep.  I've had to cut back - I'm doing half-caf now, and planning to scale down even further until my sleep improves! (And I agree with @cinwa, Dunkin rules.  :)  )

I have severe reactive hypoglycemia and still have caffeine. While I'm mostly a tea drinker, I have a full strength coffee as part of my morning routine everyday.  That's actually the one time of the day when I don't struggle with blood sugar issues. My surgeon is fine with his patients having caffeine, provided they don't go over the top....and no sugar added!!!!

Glad to hear you can still have caffeine and not have it affect your blood sugar. Will keep having my regular coffee but implement the rest of the rules and see how it goes. Thanks!