jackief

4 weeks out from VSG!

Hi everyone!

I had the VSG on March 9th.  I have recovered very well, I think!  I am working now on getting all my protein in.  I absolutely despise the shakes now.  Ugh.  I do get gaggy very easily and am much more sensitive to odors than before.  

Welcome

Not uncommon to get tired of the shakes. Try mixing things up with trying blending them with ice or tossing in some PB2 or a banana.

Dry pudding or jello mix added to a shake often helps with taste and smell.

Flavored or unflavored protein powder added to yogurt, applesauce or cottage cheese might also be worth trying.

Flavored or unflavored protein powder added to yogurt, applesauce or cottage cheese might also be worth trying.

I tried adding the "unflavored" protein to applesauce.  It definitely had a taste...and I gagged.  I think I added too much though. 

If I add protein powder TO things I only add a tablespoon or two.  Unflavored just means it not 'chocolate' or 'vanilla'.  There is still a whey flavor regardless.

Edited by Jolls

Jolls,  I think that was my problem.  I added an entire scoop to a small container of applesauce.  ;)

With your shakes try adding a 1/2 c more milk or water (whatever you are using).  I have almost made my shakes with 1.5 cups and 1 scoop of powder; and I log it to account for this as well, of course.

Or could add a little less powder to the 1 cup of fluid, maybe that will help.   Yes it lowers the amount of protein you are getting -  but getting in some is better then gagging through virtually none.

Edited by Jolls

Oh....what a great idea!  I will try that tonight!  Thanks Jolls!

With your shakes try adding a 1/2 c more milk or water (whatever you are using).  I have almost made my shakes with 1.5 cups and 1 scoop of powder; and I log it to account for this as well, of course.

Or could add a little less powder to the 1 cup of fluid, maybe that will help.   Yes it lowers the amount of protein you are getting -  but getting in some is better then gagging through virtually none.

Hi Jackie--

I'm right behind you with my 3-16 surgery date. I completely agree that the nausea from food smells and even the thought of the metallic, vitaminey taste of the protein supplements has been the biggest challenge for me too.

I parted ways with 3 types of protein powder, finally finding that I can stir 1/2 serving of unflavored Unjury brand powder into taco meat, refried beans and yogurt without being grossed out and gagging, and I found a chocolate flavored whey powder that said "smooth" on the label that almost tastes like regular chocolate milk, and it really does mix easily and turn out smooth. That also helps prevent gagging, not having grit or lumps. The ice and cocoa additions didn't really help me much.

My husband is ready for me to get through the nausea because he and I have cleaned out the entire refrigerator 3 times in the past 2 weeks--twice with a bleach solution. It just continues to smell bad to me, including whenever I get water or ice--we've emptied and sanitized those sections as well. It's probably just my nose. Are you experiencing this too?

Take care--hang in there and we'll both be feeling better each day! Kathy