KatieSinclair

Hard time finding which Calcium Citrate and Iron to get. HELP!

So I've been looking at the vitamins I'm going to need and cannot figure out an Iron and Calcium Citrate to get.

There are sooo many different ones and know how important these are!!!!

Are there other chewable Calcium Citrates that aren't expensive? Bariatric Advantage is just too much for my budget at this time.

And I'm not sure what iron is the right one.

Also my surgeon said no flintstones vitamins. I think for my multi vitamin, I'm just going to do Centrum chewables.

There is a calcium citrate powder that mixes up well in yogurt, etc. not sure about the price. Also keep in mind that calcium should be taken at an interval two hours away from iron. This constantly screws up my schedule.

I take Slow FE or the generic version, it is a slow release iron that is less likely to cause stomach upset or constipation. I take it every other day and my iron levels have been fine. I am a VSG so I am not sure how RNY requirements differ. Can you call your surgeon or nutritionist for a suggestion on a brand or kind of iron?

Unfortunately I was never able to find an affordable calcium citrate chewable that was palatable. Bariatric Advantage were the best tasting to me but, yeah...$30 bucks a month. Calcet Creamy bites in chocolate were pretty good, maybe slightly cheaper. I used to get them on drugstore.com and sometimes I would get an email about 20% off sales. As soon as I able to swallow pills I switched to Citrical Calcium Petites(not really that small) and you have to take several throughout the day but it is better than osteoporosis later.

I used Upcal-D powder a lot early out.  You can just dump it into your fluids, a spoon of yogurt or even empty a dose into your mouth and wash it down with a drink.  Comes in a tub or individual sachets:   http://www.colonialmedical.com/upcal-d-go-packs-P-1650.html

You can buy something like Sundown Carbonyl Iron tablets (25mg), crush them or chop them up with a pill splitter or whatever and take them with jello or apple sauce.  Carbonyl iron is one of the better irons for us - it seems to cause less abdominal distress than other forms of iron.  Don't forget to take it with some vitamin C to aid absorption:  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dhpc&field-keywords=sundown+carbonyl+iron

I used Upcal-D powder a lot early out.  You can just dump it into your fluids, a spoon of yogurt or even empty a dose into your mouth and wash it down with a drink.  Comes in a tub or individual sachets:   http://www.colonialmedical.com/upcal-d-go-packs-P-1650.html

You can buy something like Sundown Carbonyl Iron tablets (25mg), crush them or chop them up with a pill splitter or whatever and take them with jello or apple sauce.  Carbonyl iron is one of the better irons for us - it seems to cause less abdominal distress than other forms of iron.  Don't forget to take it with some vitamin C to aid absorption:  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dhpc&field-keywords=sundown+carbonyl+iron

Cinwa, I've been using upcal-D and recently put a bit in my mouth and it tastes GOOD!  I just enjoyed it and didn't wash it down.  It's like that pixie stix sugar candy.  (Just don't inhale!!!)  What a surprise!  I'm getting all my calcium now.  LOL!

Cinwa, I've been using upcal-D and recently put a bit in my mouth and it tastes GOOD!  I just enjoyed it and didn't wash it down.  It's like that pixie stix sugar candy.  (Just don't inhale!!!)  What a surprise!  I'm getting all my calcium now.  LOL!

I've been tipping it into my mouth with a Coromega Squeeze!  I love it LOL!

Sometimes I pretend like I'm 8 again and put it into my hand and lick it.  ...yes, i do.

I'm a little confused. I was considering buying the upcal d but everything I found said it was unflavored. I got the impression from reading some posts that is flavored. Want to make sure I am ordering what you guys are raving about. Thanks

I'm a little confused. I was considering buying the upcal d but everything I found said it was unflavored. I got the impression from reading some posts that is flavored. Want to make sure I am ordering what you guys are raving about. Thanks

it IS unflavored, but it has i think... dextrose... in it, which makes it a bit sweet tasting.  

it IS unflavored, but it has i think... dextrose... in it, which makes it a bit sweet tasting.  

That is correct. I think the Upcal D powder tastes like those old candy cigarettes/sticks I used to get as a kid. Just a light sweetness to them. I also just pour on my tongue and swish down with some water!  So easy to get my calcium!  

That is correct. I think the Upcal D powder tastes like those old candy cigarettes/sticks I used to get as a kid. Just a light sweetness to them. I also just pour on my tongue and swish down with some water!  So easy to get my calcium!  

I just love it...  I didn't try it like that for a very long time because I thought it would be gross.   ha.. silly me.  :)  However, I did get the Coromega Squeeze and that tastes a bit like yuck, even the orange flavor.  I'll be mixing that with something!  I might do what Cinwa suggests and do a two-fer.  

I got Bariatric Fusion cinnamon lozenges/chewables last week and I just suck on them until its gone. It tastes like a fireball candy to me!

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/vitamins-and-minerals/bariatric-advantage-calcium-lozenges-cinnamon-90-270-count.html

I just love it...  I didn't try it like that for a very long time because I thought it would be gross.   ha.. silly me.   :)  However, I did get the Coromega Squeeze and that tastes a bit like yuck, even the orange flavor.  I'll be mixing that with something!  I might do what Cinwa suggests and do a two-fer.  

I use the Tropical Orange - it's better than the straight up orange flavour for me.  I actually prefer the Chocolate Orange but vitacost.com don't do the big bags.  Not that they're that much more expensive.

If you want to try the Tropical Orange H-C - shoot me a PM.

I don't take iron, but i LOVE LOVE LOVE the bariatric advantage calcium chews...they come in 250 and 500 mg and are like a little piece of candy (like a toostie roll) and are the perfect "treat" for me.  I like the raspberry and caramel...get them online.  

I use the Tropical Orange - it's better than the straight up orange flavour for me.  I actually prefer the Chocolate Orange but vitacost.com don't do the big bags.  Not that they're that much more expensive.

If you want to try the Tropical Orange H-C - shoot me a PM.

The tropical orange is what I got.  It's not horrid tasting, but you can definitely taste the Omega oil.  So I've been dumping it into my mouth on top of a scoop of the UpCal.  Way better.  :)