bevans15

Looking for support and info, thanks!

Howdy y'all!

My name is Bradley and I am currently trying to gather the information I need to being making my decision about gastric bypass surgery. I'm currently 320 lbs and very unhappy with the way I look and feel. This weight does not seem to be able to be dropped, I've been within 5-8 lbs of 320 every day for over a year and a half. I've tried working out at the gym, with a membership, hired nutritionists and personal trainers and done independent exercise activities and nothing is working. I've tried not eating, eating once a day, juiced veg/fruits only for weeks straight, eating normal amounts of food but excercising tremendous amounts and I can't do it on my own. I'm very discouraged and disheartened because I have not always been obese. In high school, I earned varsity letters in 9 sports, was homecoming king and drew scholarship info from D1/D2 football programs. I used to weigh 200-205 pounds and would give anything in the world to get back to that weight. I just can't on my own. Hopefully through this forum and gathering other info, I'll be able to make an informed decision and have a location where my situation can be appreciated and understood.

Thanks for any and all responses!

Brad

post-54805-0-16287100-1427595139_thumb.j

welcome brad, good luck on your journey, you are in the right place

Welcome.

What specific questions do you have?

Seconded, great to have you here. What specifically do you want to know?

Hey welcome :) I had gastric bypass on 3/6/15 and truly feel it was the very best deciaion I have ever made......it's difficult and scary at times, but honestly if you are truly ready for a life change....definitely start doing some research......i read every blog, support site, scientific study, watched every YouTube video I could find of the surgeries being performed and people's results....i started watching back episodes of My 600 LB Life and the British version of it called Fat Doctor.....i went into this surgery knowing everything I possibly could :) I wish you all the best and good luck on this wonderful and terrifying journey :)

Btw.....i am 22 days post op and have lost 18.4 pounds :) I think that's pretty fantastic :)

Welcome to the site, Brad! Stick around, ask some questions and you'll find PLENTY of good info from good people!

Morning Brad.  You have a few threads out there.  Good to have you.  What questions do you have?

Welcome to T-T Brad (and Mrs Brad!).

Hi and Welcome,

It sounds like you completely understand where you are with exercise, but you may not have the good picture of your food intake. Even "fruits and veggie" juices can have a huge number of calories, and fasting can shut your metabolism down so that losing is harder. Weight loss surgery is a huge lifetime commitment with risks as well as benefits, so I would suggest you really understand your current situation fully first. You can see a nutritionist for recommendations for a food plan that should help you lose based on your activity level. Then track your food and exercise RELIGIOUSLY - every bite- for a couple of months to see how it goes. My Fitness Pal is a free and easy tool to do this as long as you ignore the changes it makes to your goals based on exercise. If after a few months of eating the appropriate diet for your activity level, you are still not moving the scale, you should discuss this with your physician. [Have your diet and exercise logs for "proof" with you because a lot of Doctors assume you are lying about how much you are eating if you say you can't lose weight.] There can be physical problems [thyroid, etc.] and some medications make weight loss very difficult. I would only consider weight loss surgery after trying a carefully regimented diet plan and getting a full understanding of your overall health situation.

Best of luck to you.

Hello Brad

I had gastric by pass in 2009 I was 407lbs I lost 167lbs (IT SAVED MY LIFE). I have never ever gave my decision a second thought. I would do it again right now. You need to remember that WLS is tool not cure. I have struggled with my weight since but  I have the tool I need to succeed. Good luck with your decision. You have come to the right place for info and support, tonight is my first night on this forum and I am fascinated with how many people on here are will to help and encourage you.

Prayers are with you!!!

Crystal