mswanson502

Having a Meltdown! NEED HELP!

I haven't been on here in a while, and I apologize.  Life has intervened.  I foster special needs dogs, and adopted one that requires a lot of care, but she is an angel and SO happy!  Anyway, I'm about 22 months post-op.  About two months ago, I started getting very strong cravings for chocolate.  I started eating it, and now I can't stop.  I have gained 10-14 lbs in two months or so.  Now, I also have stopped vomiting all the time, so that could be some of it, but eating peanut M&Ms all the time is most of it.  I've tried again and again, and I can't stop eating them.  I don't get dumping syndrome unfortunately.  I don't know what to do.  I can't get fat again.  I have a bad heart condition and was only given 2 years to live if I didn't lose weight, which is why I had the gastric bypass.  My willpower is horrible now.  I've never in my life craved chocolate like I do now.  I actually didn't really even like chocolate.  I need some encouragement big time.  I want to give up, but I know I can't.  My husband has been deployed for 6 months and is coming home in 1 week.  So I'm under a lot of stress getting the house cleaned up. 

On top of this, I had a tummy tuck and breast augmentation almost 6 months ago.  I have developed two severe seromas from the tummy tuck, so now I look about 5 months pregnant.  My plastic surgeon will not drain the fluid unless it's not better at the 1 year part, so I have this pressure on my pouch all the time and just feel fat due to the seromas,  One is above my belly button (the worst one), and one is below.  Plus now I have loose skin showing up around my hip bones.  That I can deal with right now, but I don't know what to do about the chocolate.  I didn't get fat having good willpower.  HELP!
I've attached a picture of what I looked like about 2 months after my tummy tuck.  Everything was perfect!  Hopefully it's not too graphic for anyone.  The 2nd pic shows what I look like now on a good day.  That's all swelling from seromas from the tummy tuck! 

beforeafter_zpszc6oa7wi.jpg

Edited by mswanson502

oh wow! Sorry you are going through so much! Have you tried the reset thing I hear per talk about. It's when you go back to the liquid phase for a week. Have you also tried Sf chocolate? I have Sf turtles and resee peanut butter cups but they are kinda high in calories. What about chic protien shakes? I hope you find some to help with the craving because you've been through a lot to go backwards. Take it a day or an hour at a time. Best of luck!

oh wow! Sorry you are going through so much! Have you tried the reset thing I hear per talk about. It's when you go back to the liquid phase for a week. Have you also tried Sf chocolate? I have Sf turtles and resee peanut butter cups but they are kinda high in calories. What about chic protien shakes? I hope you find some to help with the craving because you've been through a lot to go backwards. Take it a day or an hour at a time. Best of luck!

No, I haven't tried going back to the liquids. That's a great idea! I may just do that. I don't do well on SF candy though. It really upsets my stomach. I'll go back to soup and jello.

I forgot to say that I still don't exercise. I had so many complications and always vomiting until about 3 months ago, so I wasn't really able to do much. I'm just now where I can do light workouts due to the tummy tuck problems.

I sometimes crave something sweet now, but won't let myself have anything but an occasional sf pudding cup, or a protein bar in lieu of a meal - make sure you are replacing a meal and not adding a snack!   I understand cravings, but you have got to fill them with something acceptable.   You don't need to keep anything chocolate in your home, and you have to develop some willpower or you will regain the weight.    Post a picture of your fat self on the fridg or somewhere you will see it often.   Remember how good it feels to be skinny.   You have to fight this battle yourself.   Best of luck to you as you continue your journey. 

As they say, it's all a head game...

For cravings my go to is a chocolate protein shake. I won't do sf candy cause it's still high calorie.. My other guilty treat lately is strawberries with Greek yogurt (1 cup strawberries have less than 60 calories) and a quarter cup of greek low fat yogurt. It tends to fill me up.

What ever you do get the m and ms out of the house. You are strong!!

Exercise.. You must have a dog, take it for a walk to get started, the weather is turning nice. Got a bike?

Stop saying you can't stop eating chocolate/peanut M&M's.  YOU CAN!  You can control your cravings....you've done it before. It's tough, really hard to do, but you can do it!!!  I think stress with all you have going on is making you feel out of control and unable to do anything about it, but you can take charge. Make a plan and stick to it. You have gotten some great ideas here on what to do, and I'm sure you'll get some more. Get that candy out of your house and don't buy more.  You can do this!

There is no reason you can't stop eating chocolate - you went through all those surgeries just to throw it all away???????

Get rid of it and dont buy more!!!!

Another thing to consider, if they tightened your stomach muscles a lot and you gain weight there is a good chance you are going to end up looking pregnant permanently And have stomach pain from the pressure on those muscles.

Are M&Ms really worth more than Your life?

edit-correcting punctuation

Edited by WorkinProcess

I would be pissed at the surgeon for not draining the seromas...I am sure that adds to your depression.  As for the chocolate...you have to get rid of it and not buy more.  Find some alternative to go to when you crave it...sf hot chocolate, protein shakes (add ice and a little banana or natural peanutbutter to a chocolate one and blend), sf pudding with protein powder, etc.  Keep reminding yourself that you need to be healthy to stay alive!!!  Good luck!

I have a friend (an RN) who went through RNY 3 years ago. I questioned her extensively and her refrain was that you could defeat the purpose of the surgery one M&M at a time.

I took it to heart, IT'S TIME YOU DID TOO.   :blink:

As they say, it's all a head game...

For cravings my go to is a chocolate protein shake. I won't do sf candy cause it's still high calorie.. My other guilty treat lately is strawberries with Greek yogurt (1 cup strawberries have less than 60 calories) and a quarter cup of greek low fat yogurt. It tends to fill me up.

What ever you do get the m and ms out of the house. You are strong!!

Exercise.. You must have a dog, take it for a walk to get started, the weather is turning nice. Got a bike?

I definitely have dogs. I have 4. And one is very overweight so I need to start walking. It really comes down to me always feeling like crap. I was just diagnosed with MS, but now they're wondering if it's something worse. I physically can walk, just not very far because the meds they have me make me feel kinda drunk. I'm gonna do it though!!

Switch do dark choc instead of milk choc if you have to have something. It is better for you and has less calories and fat. Also portion out your servings into ziplock bags. First start with 20 in a bag and slowly work your self down to 5. Or slowly replace 5 m&ms with 5 almonds. Ween yourself down until you are satisfied with a smaller amount.