counteracting hair loss

First let me state VERY clearly....I do not believe that anything can stop post surgical hair loss!!!

Now, that being said, I want to post about my experience and perhaps this will be food for thought. 

So, since I started researching WLS, I have been concerned about losing all of my hair. If I had short hair, personally, I wouldn't care. However, my hair is to my waist. I'm sure you can imagine how long it took me to get it that long, and I'd like to keep it long and not have to cut it. 

I know that I cant stop the hair loss (which should be starting for me in the next month or so) But, I have discovered something remarkable. In Sept, about 6 months prior to surgery, I started biotin (5000mcg) per day. I also added collagen, and several hair products. After about 2 months of that "routine" my hair started growing like CRAZY!  I have baby fine hair, but I have enough of it to not look sparse. But, generally, with any hairstyle, you could see my scalp peeking through. Well.. since I have done this routine?  I swear, I have at least 50% more hair, and it is growing so fast. I used to color my hair once every 8 weeks.. Now.. it's every 3 weeks because I have close to an inch of outgrowth by then. I have so much new growth that it sticks up all over. most of it is 1-5 inches long, so, it has a long way to go before it reaches my ends. But I have so much that I don't need any "lifting products" in my hair to give it volume on top. 

So... going into the shedding phase, I am starting out in the best possible place.. I have way more hair.. it is growing really fast, and, it is incredibly healthy, from root to end. 

So, even if I lose 50% of my hair.. I had more hair to start with, so it may not look as sparse. And it should grow back at lightening speed. (operative word is *should*)

Anyway... not sure it will help at all.. but, I did want to share my experience in case anyone wanted to follow suit. 

If there is any interest I can post my products below.

What products are you using? My hair is still falling out and I am using 10000mcg of biotin since 3 months out. It is starting to slow with the loss but the new hair just is not growing much.

I started Bioten/Collagen prior to surgery as well.  It made no difference for me.  As with most things, everyBODY is different  :)

Edited by Jolls

When I started chemo, my breast surgeon recommended Rogaine. And she said to use MEN's Rogaine, not the one for women. 

But I didn't use it when all my hair fell out, depending on my fancy wigs instead... Haven't seen any posts on success of Rogaine/minoxidil, only on biotin & collagen. Anyone tried it?

Jolls, sorry it didn't help. I can't attribute my fast growth and thickening directly to either of those supplements.. but something in either those or the products I'm using has really changed things. .

Lopez... here is what I use..

1. biotin... 5000 mcg. The one I use is linked below. it is chewable, and tastes ok. Just a note with biotin... it only helps if you have a biotin deficiency. So, taking it is just a preventative. it's also why I don't take a higher amount. 5000mcg should correct any deficiency..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00028NZRA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. collagen. It is NOT a complete protein, so do not think that you will get any "protein benefit" from taking it. that being said, it is believed to help with skin and hair as well as lubricating joints. The pills I take are HUGE horse pills, so I crush them to a fine powder, and put them in my yogurt in the morning. There is absolutely no discernible taste.

http://www.amazon.com/Neocell-Super-Collagen-6000mg-Vitamin/dp/B00028NGEC/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1427467321&sr=1-1&keywords=collagen

3. I use the shampoo below. It is an all natural shampoo so it doesn't have sulfates in it. A note with all natural shampoos.. they behave much differently than traditional shampoos.. for example.. they don't lather the same way. The way you use it is shampoo and massage it into the scalp.. then leave it sit for a while. I usually do my other "shower tasks" and then rinse afterwards. it is an amazon number 1 seller, and there are great reviews. It smells like an herb shop. some folks may like that...  it basically has things in it that increase blood flow to the scalp.. also has vitamin B complex, argo oil,  Saw Palmeto, biotin, fo ti, which is good for hair growth

http://www.amazon.com/Pura-dor-Premium-Organic-Anti-Hair/dp/B00FH692PQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1427467377&sr=1-2&keywords=pura+dor

4. I also use the conditioner  that is made by the same  company. They both include Argon oil which is great for hair growth and retention. the conditioner smells like lavender. the combination of the two makes my hair feel like silk.

http://www.amazon.com/Pura-dor-Premium-Organic-Conditioner/dp/B007TC0HIC/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1427467622&sr=1-1&keywords=pura+d%27or+conditioner

5. I also put Argon oil on my ends. which will NOT help with hair growth, or loss. But with my hair being SO long, it helps make it slippery so that my brush and comb have an easier time detangling. that way, I don't pull out as much.. preserving some of my existing hair.

6. I use a biotin spray on the roots. I put it on every day... massage it in to get the blood flowing.. This one has biotin, keratin and saw palmetto... all good for hair.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QK14KWW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Again.. I want to point out that I don't think any of this will stop the hair loss.. not at all. All I am saying is that one, or the combination of all of these products has made my hair growth incredibly fast... and, I have tons of new growth, and much less than normal shedding to this point. I fully expect to lose a ton of hair in the coming months.. but at least I've started out in the best possible place before that happened. I'm also hopeful that this will help speed up the regrowth process once I start losing.

But as always... everyone responds differently. So, venture forward at your own discretion.. I'll let everyone know in 6 months or so, how I did with the shedding..

I have thick hair that grows like a weed. I figure if it thins out some,. I'll be okay. Went and got it cut today, as a matter of fact.

gallery_54726_5408_5782.jpg

Edited by TP1210

When I started chemo, my breast surgeon recommended Rogaine. And she said to use MEN's Rogaine, not the one for women. 

But I didn't use it when all my hair fell out, depending on my fancy wigs instead... Haven't seen any posts on success of Rogaine/minoxidil, only on biotin & collagen. Anyone tried it?

I used minoxidil for hair loss related to hospital stay/infection long before WLS and it didn't help then either.  I used the woman's version though.  I did not try it after WLS though I did use biotin and collagen enriched shampoos/conditioners.  Also used the biotin spray on roots.

Having said all I have -  I DO have regrowth and a lot of it.  My first stint non WLS related and the one WLS related - both time I had regrowth but never to how it once was.  It grew at its own pace/time though it would seem, I've noticed nothing with time frame and what not -  I still have to dye mine as often as I did before, no more often or less. 

Edited by Jolls

Mine has just started to fall out. Hoping it stops soon. My six month check up is just around the corner so I will see if I need anything different.

My own experience here so no one get insulted. Please.... Biotin did nothing to stop the hair from falling out. Taking it before surgery didn't give me any additional hair, but did cause my own hair to grow faster. As well as my fingernails. I lost about half the volume of my hair and it took months to stop falling out.

I MUST be sure of my protein intake or it will start falling out again. Currently I take 5000 mg of biotin. I don't believe it helps me get new hair, but I believe that the hair I have looks and feels healthier.  I was told by my NUT not to exceed that dose due to a possible link to liver problems. I also use Rogaine for women (the foam) I like that you only have to use it once a day. I have started to grow new hair with the Rogaine, but i don't believe that the amount will equal what I lost. I believe that I will end up back at 75% (give or take) of the hair I had before.

All of this being said, I still have NO regrets. I would do it all again. HTH

This scares me a bit. I already have very thin hair. If it falls out I'll be wearing wigs!! Seriously, when I put it in a pony tail it is probably about as big around as a nickel.

I started losing my hair around 6 months and I cut it all off.  I started taking biotin and the lose has slowed down (I'm not seeing globs of hair in the sink any longer) but its taking its fine time coming back in.  It's a totally different texture - was straight as a pin but is now wavy.  The front is the worse the bangs are very thin and I now have a receding hairline.  I have a high school reunion this summer and am seriously thinking of a wig - I want to go back to this one (45th) looking fabulous  from head to toe.

Go to the wig shop!  Have a good time trying on all the colors and the styles.  If you're like me, you'll finally put one wig on and see the person you were 20 years ago.  (DH saw her first!! He picked the wig.)

Had thin hair before WLS.  At four months it started to really thin out.  Almost nothing in the front an "ok" amount on top and the back is decent.  I either wear a wig or artfully tie a scarf around my head every day now.  Otherwise, I could compare myself to a skinless cat.   I tried the biotin and it grew hair EVERYWHERE but on my head.  

Go to the wig shop!   Have fun!

Hmmm. I went and bought biotin today so hopefully I won't experience a huge hair loss. I'm not ready to wear a wig.