cinwa

Osteopenia/Osteoporosis - Think you're safe? Well, think again! UPDATED!

I realize this is an older thread but I'm wondering your thoughts- a few months ago I spent a lot of time seated in an office chair I don't normally use. I have had terrible tailbone pain ever since. It is worse when I drive for extended periods and/or sit on hard chairs. I have lost a bit of volume in my butt- I used to have a muscular, rounded one, but now it's kindof flat. But it just occurred to me that it could be bone density related. Crikey. I guess I'll be seeing my doctor. 

I still have issues with my tailbone if I sit quickly on anything firm like a wooden seat.  I don't think it's anything to do with bone density - just a lack of padding.

If you're at all concerned, get it checked out by your PCP.

This was another of my threads on the subject and you'll see from the responses, I was not alone:  Lost my bum and my coccyx hurts!

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:23 AM, bellamoma said:

I realize this is an older thread but I'm wondering your thoughts- a few months ago I spent a lot of time seated in an office chair I don't normally use. I have had terrible tailbone pain ever since. It is worse when I drive for extended periods and/or sit on hard chairs. I have lost a bit of volume in my butt- I used to have a muscular, rounded one, but now it's kindof flat. But it just occurred to me that it could be bone density related. Crikey. I guess I'll be seeing my doctor. 

I have this, too. I think it's more the sitting for extended periods than anything else. I have to be diligent about lifting weights, and now if I walk or work out, it goes away, but I agree with Cinwa:

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:42 AM, cinwa said:

If you're at all concerned, get it checked out by your PCP.

Edited by slars04

Cinwa, thanks so much for linking me to the other thread. I had no idea it was so common! 

On 3/23/2015 at 9:56 PM, cinwa said:

I do exercise daily - yoga and/or pilates a couple of times a day - usually just 15 minutes a time and I walk for 3 miles a day (I have a treadmill with an incline) at a pretty fast pace.  But I'm going to drop the incline (mostly because of the effect on my already bad knees) and up the distance, and do 2 x 15 minutes a day on the InMotion Strider in a standing position but I can also use it at my computer.

I don't know that can do much more - I'm already messing with firewood for at least an hour a day when it's dry (I have to split and stack it - that's our only heat source).

@cinwa, I am just reading your posts from 2015 (thanks @CurvyMermaid)....what is the current status of your bones?  Have you had another DEXA scan since 2015?  

2 minutes ago, CheeringCJ said:

@cinwa, I am just reading your posts from 2015 (thanks @CurvyMermaid)....what is the current status of your bones?  Have you had another DEXA scan since 2015?  

I have and there was another small drop in my numbers.  Still not enough to consider taking medication so I'll keep going with the weight bearing exercises and additional walking.

I've always been diligent with taking my calcium citrate (500mg 3x daily) and additional vitamin D3.

According to this study, The effect of bariatric surgery on serum 25‐OH vitamin D levels: a systematic review and meta‐analysis  

In one study with solely post‐operative calcium and 25‐hydroxyvitamin D supplementation, 25% of patients develop calcium deficiency after 2 years and 48% after 4 years despite replacement. As well, 25‐hydroxyvitamin D deficiency was present 52 and 63% of patients, respectively 5, 6.

I have always known to take the vit D w/  the calcium to help it absorb but something I read last night said Magnesium is necessary for it too (to utilize it)....have you heard that or take it?  Just curious.  I really have not done much research on this all, I am just learning from TT and "educators" like you! :)

5 minutes ago, CheeringCJ said:

I have always known to take the vit D w/  the calcium to help it absorb but something I read last night said Magnesium is necessary for it too (to utilize it)....have you heard that or take it?  Just curious.  I really have not done much research on this all, I am just learning from TT and "educators" like you! :)

I take additional magnesium and between that and what's in my multivitamin and foods, it works out to be a tad under a 2:1 ratio of calcium to magnesium.  I also take additional vitamin D (over and above what's in my multi.).  

But this is something you need to talk with your surgeon/pcp about.

2 hours ago, cinwa said:

I take additional magnesium and between that and what's in my multivitamin and foods, it works out to be a tad under a 2:1 ratio of calcium to magnesium.  I also take additional vitamin D (over and above what's in my multi.).  

But this is something you need to talk with your surgeon/pcp about.

I feel like I don't get the right answers from my dr or NUT...they are just very laid back about it all...they don't even care if I just get the gummy calcium.   I don't want to over take something or certainly not under take something!

31 minutes ago, CheeringCJ said:

I feel like I don't get the right answers from my dr or NUT...they are just very laid back about it all...they don't even care if I just get the gummy calcium.   I don't want to over take something or certainly not under take something!

The upside is that you had a VSG so you don't have the malabsorption issues that a RNY and DS patient has.  Keep up with your bloodwork and get a DEXA/DXA scan as often as your doc/insurance will allow and keep a detailed record of the results. 

Contraceptive injection is also a cause of osteoporosis if anyone has it . We advise at the contraceptive clinic  biannual dexascan calcium rich diet walking and no coke xx

3 minutes ago, cinwa said:

The upside is that you had a VSG so you don't have the malabsorption issues that a RNY and DS patient has.  Keep up with your bloodwork and get a DEXA/DXA scan as often as your doc/insurance will allow and keep a detailed record of the results. 

agreed.  I did just have blood work, and the only low level was my vit A, but of course the Ca was only my blood calcium level not my bone calcium level.

18 minutes ago, CheeringCJ said:

............. but of course the Ca was only my blood calcium level not my bone calcium level.

And that's why you need to push for those bones scans.  

My blood work has always been good but that only shows the calcium in our blood - not what's stored in our bones.

10 minutes ago, cinwa said:

And that's why you need to push for those bones scans. 

What exactly is involved in a bone scan?  I have never had one.

8 minutes ago, TammyP said:

What exactly is involved in a bone scan?  I have never had one.

Totally painless, it's like an x-ray and they generally just do it of your hip area while you're laid on a table.

Post bypass B12 is also important to supplement due to our inability to make the intrinsic factor which is needed for our bodies to utilise the B12 found in animal product food sources eg eggs and meat. B12 is also a  part of the D3/calcium/ magnesium equation for bone strength. I supplement all 4. I did notice that my next blood draw order has an additional vit D test to the normal D3....it is 1,25 level. My family doctor saw the order and had no idea what this test even was, but my google attempt suggests the result looks at how D3 levels are being utilised by the body. It was actually a female surgeon that ordered this lot of tests as we were discussing my particular issue with slow bone regeneration after my foot fusion.

I am an Np and a D 1,25 is the standard test All the specialities,, including the PCP’s are ordering it.

Edited by Spunkycat

I was told not to hang in the lower part of the normal BMI range; middle or higher part of normal is better for less chance of osteoporosis.  I had a scan 18 months ago and all was fine with mine.  I was amazed at how painless and quick it was.  

1 hour ago, Spunkycat said:

I am an Np and a D 1,25 is the standard test All the specialities,, including the PCP’s are ordering it.

Clearly not in Australia. Neither my surgeon or any general practitioners have ever ordered this test on me before. The doctor I saw recently had never even heard of it. Up until now they've just ordered the standard D3 test. That's why I thought I'd post it in case others haven't been having this test done.

CINWA Thanks so much for posting this comprehensive information!  I’d like to get the word out -like you have done so admirably- that OSTEOPOROSIS can be a Bariatric patients legacy if they don’t keep on top of their health screenings and proactive activity. 

I am four years out from sleeve gastrectomy (SG) and post menopausal. Took supplements as directed.

No doctor recommended a bone scan at 65 years old, before SG or even after SG until I fractured a wrist at 70 in April. 

The bone scan reveals I have osteoporosis. I’m pretty bummed out.