Duckie

Wendy's Chili Recipe

Here is the "Top Secret REcipes" version of Wendy's Chili. It's delicious.

I used a can of peeled tomatoes and canned chili peppers instead of fresh ones.

2 lbs. ground beef

one 29 oz. can tomato sauce

one 29 oz. can kidney beans (WITH liquid)

one 29 oz. can pinto beans (WITH liquid)

one cup diced onion (1 medium onion)

1/2 cup diced celery (1 stalk)

3 medium tomatoes, chopped

2 diced chili peppers (i forgot this when I typed it in. lol)

2 teaspoons cumin powder

3 tablespoons chili powder

1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper

2 teaspoons salt

2 cups water

1. Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat; drain off the fat.

2. Using a fork, crumble the cooked beef into pea-sized pieces.

3. In a large pot, combine the beef plus all the remaining ingredients, and

bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook, stirring every 15 minutes, for 2 to 3

hours.

(I just cooked it in a crock pot over several hours.)

Makes about 12 servings.

Tidbits: For spicier chilli, ad 1/2 teaspoon more black pepper. For much

spicier chli, add 1/2 teaspoon back pepper and a tablespoon of cayenne pepper. And for a real stomach stinger, add 5 or 6 sliced jalapeno peppers to the pot.)

Leftovers can be frozen for several months.

Adding this to the first post. I came up with my own recipe of sorts. I LOVE IT and everyone asks me to make for parties, etc.

This is my latest version. THe pepperoni adds a great spicey taste to it. YUMMY!

Michelle's Chili

2 lbs. ground beef (or meat of choice)

1/2 Pepperoni stick (cut up into small cubes)

one 29 oz. can tomato sauce

one 29 oz. can kidney beans (drain most of liquid) *

one 29 oz. can pinto beans (drain most of lliquid) *

one cup diced onion (1 medium onion)

1/2 cup diced celery (1 stalk)

3 medium tomatoes, chopped (may substitute with one can of diced tomatoes)

2 diced chili peppers (May substitute with can of chili peppers in mexican aisle)

2 teaspoons cumin powder

1 package Chili powder

1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper

2 teaspoons salt

2 cups water

1. Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat; drain off the fat.

2. Using a fork, crumble the cooked beef into pea-sized pieces.

3. In a large pot, combine the beef plus all the remaining ingredients, and

bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook, stirring every 15 minutes, for 2 to 3

hours.

(I just cooked it in a crock pot over several hours.)

*(I tend to use six different kinds of beans in the small cans to mix things up, instead of using the two large cans.)

Tidbits: For spicier chilli, ad 1/2 teaspoon more black pepper. For much

spicier chli, add 1/2 teaspoon back pepper and a tablespoon of cayenne pepper. And for a real stomach stinger, add 5 or 6 sliced jalapeno peppers to the pot.)

Leftovers can be frozen for several months.

Edited by Duckie

Thanks Duckie,

Wendy's chili has become a staple of mine when I'm out on the road so I think I may try this and freeze some up for when I need something quickly. :)

I have a whole bunch in my freezer. Let me know what you think.

I get sooooo sick from Chili. I still can't figure it out. I can eat lots of spicy things, habanero sauce, whole jalepenos, but Chili has some sort of spice that gets me every time. I used to eat it and then throw up the froth stuff and now 2 years out, it just makes me nauseous for hours and hours. The other day, I made the chili dip with cream cheese in the crock pot. We eat it with chips...it is so good. Well, dumb me....I ate it and thought i was so cool. Next morning, I paid for it....all day. I am sorry to be so graphic, but I was wondering if there is anyone else out there that can't eat chili. Maybe it is some secret seasoning that gets me. I miss Weinersnitzel chili cheese dogs.:rolleyes:

It definitely gives me gas, other than that, I'm good.

It definitely gives me gas, other than that, I'm good.

You are so lucky....I really miss chili. I just love it. Maybe one day, I will be able to eat it again. I will keep praying for that. LOL

I have insomnia....Duckie..what are you doing up at this hour?

Taking care of sick kids... I'm working!

I found that the Wendy's chili tasted greasy in my mouth and was always afraid to eat too much of it. I just make my own with ground turkey, lots of beans, veggies and spices in the crock pot. Always tastes yummy.

By the way, what are you guys all eating when traveling out on the road if you don't bring your own food? Are there any good fast food or restaurant alternatives that are high protein, low fat and safe to eat?

Mmmmm - I love chili...and love that chili Christina ans Stewart made for the summer BBQ (the one with cream cheese in it). But BOY was I ever stinky for a long time after (hehehe!!) :D

By the way, what are you guys all eating when traveling out on the road if you don't bring your own food? Are there any good fast food or restaurant alternatives that are high protein, low fat and safe to eat?

Michelle,

We just got back from a 2 week vacation and ate out several times. What I usually stuck to when it came to fast food resturants were:

1. Wendy's Chili (small)

Calories: 220

Fat: 6g

Protein: 17 g

2. Arby's Santa Fe Salad with grilled chicken, no dressing, no tortilla strips

Calories: 306

Fat: 11 gms

Protein: 30 gms

3. Arby's Martha's Vineyard Salad with no fat asian dressing.

Calories: 276

Fat: 8 gms

Protein: 26 gms

4. Arby's Chicken Filet Sandwich, no mayo, no bun

Calories:132

Fat: 2 gms

Protein: 26 gms

5. Pizza Hut Large Fit'N Delicious Lower Fat Pizzas, Ham, Pineapple, & Diced Red Tomatoes (1 slice) They have several other "Fit'N Delicious pizzas.

14-inch pizza

Calories 150 Calories

Fat 4g

Protein 7g

6. Wendy's Mandarin Chicken Salad (no almonds, fat free french dressing, no noodles)

Calories: 250

Fat: 2 g

Protein: 23 g

Those were pretty much all the fast food resturants we ate at. At other resturants I would stick to the salads with grilled chicken and then either had a fat free dressing or no dressing at all. I couldn't eat a whole salad but made sure I ate all of the meat.

At home we eat at Noodles fairly often and I usually have one of their noodle free dishes. The shrimp curry is really good. (Calories 190, Fat 6g, Protein 14 g) I really appreciate Noodles. They are more than willing to leave noodles out of dishes, put chicken, tofu, shrimp or steak in dishes, cook it without oil, etc. If you have one in your area at all I would highly recommend it.

Hope this helps

Thank you, Duckie! I'm still eating pureed foods at this point, but the nutrition info on the various fast food options will help a lot in the future! I am constantly eating on the run.

I'm going to have to try that chili recipe. Sounds delicious!

Your welcome! I eat it all the time. It's my staple food. I LOVE IT!

HOW did you know that I was looking for a chili recipe? Mind readers ~ I tell ya! ;) Thanks for the recipe, will give it a try!!

I made this chili the week before last....and I ate it for lunch every day for that whole week!! I love it. My husband loves it also. Yum! I still have some of the chili in the freezer for another week. I go back to work next week, so will be living on Wendy's chili for lunches! It's my new favorite thing! Yummy!! Thanks Nurse Duckie-kins! This recipe has made me so very happy! :)

lol I'm glad it made ya happy Elaine. ENJOY! I take two one cup servings to work with me. I work a 12 hr. shift. SOMETIMES I get to eat both but at least I can usually get one of them in during that time. :eek:

When is chili safe for a newbie? I'm on soft/pureed foods right now and was thinking about making this chili, but am not sure I'm ready for it. I'm eating chicken, shrimp, ricotta, refried beans and deli ham rolls w/lf cream cheese and those are all tolerated fine w/plenty of chewing. Think I'm ready for chili Nurse Duckie?

i pureed my chili, and made it with less spices at my soft food stage

I seem to tolerate chili better now than pre-surgery. I love it! Stagg and Dennison have really good canned chili that is inexpensive and has lots of beans and meat in it. But oh yeah, Wendy's chili rules. They put cheese on it if you ask them...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Chili!

I actually make it with 6 different types of beans now and use ground turkey. I love beans and put extra in there!

Cool. Thanks girls! My hubby is a hunter and we have some venison that he'd like me to make this with. Not so sure how the pouch is going to handle that tho'.:confused:

I have my own chili recipe, very similar, and use black beans. I use half 90% lean grnd beef, half grnd turkey too. I want some now!!! (Sorry- still on liquids!) But can it be pureed? Successfully? (And I agree about Wendy's too!)

I believe it was Carrie that said she purreed hers! ;)