Ricky

10 days post RNY, why cant I feel full?

Hello All, my name is Rick and I am 10 days post op,  I had a fantastic surgery - no pains, no probs and I am home supposedly doing what I am supposed to be doing.  My dilemma is that I just don't feel full.  I am in stage 2 foods which is soups, dairy, yogurts, and such.    After surgery I really never had a problem with water and sipping.  I find it amazing that some have trouble just getting 1oz down.  I am seriously perplexed. I have my first post nutr appt on monday and then thursday with surgeon.  I guess that I should be thankful that I don't have any pain or dumping or nausea.  I just know that I could eat more than I currently am...   IS there a reason or does everyone feel like this at one time.??

I'm a sleeve but it is common that your pouch is inflamed and healing so there is no full feeling, at least not for a while.  I would give it 6 to 8 weeks before you'll start feeling any sort full sensation, albeit, it will probably be different from what you are used to.

Your full sensations likely will not return until you are back on more solid foods or denser proteins and full sensation on liquids is hard to determine in general.  The nerves that send those signals to the brain were all cut and it takes a while for general healing of your new stomach and for those connections to reconnect back with the brain.   Also the feeling of "full" you once identified with may not be the same feeling again when it returns.  Some people burp, hiccup, sneeze, get a buldge-feeling in their chest as their new "full".  It will take some time to get used to all (once it is healed and actually working again), but you will get there.

That is why it is so important to measure food in the beginning especially when you are not able to tell you are full.  I do not know the proper amounts for bypass since I am sleeve but I'll post our general guidelines still.  Perhaps a bypasser can correct me (and I can add it to info for later usage)

Please keep in mind these quantities are meant for sleeve -  bypass have smaller stomachs.

Quantity kind of follows the week you are on:

0-2 weeks =  0-2 ounces

2-4 weeks = 2-4 ounces

4-6 weeks = 4-6 ounces

6-8 weeks and forever = 6-8 ounces

Please keep in mind these quantities are meant for sleeve -  bypass have smaller stomachs.

Edited by Jolls

Stick with the sipping and measuring. 8 oz an hour at this time. I was not hungry, but only recently at two months out have felt kind of full. I have to make myself eat on schedule to get the protein and fluids in.

Hello All, my name is Rick and I am 10 days post op,  I had a fantastic surgery - no pains, no probs and I am home supposedly doing what I am supposed to be doing.  My dilemma is that I just don't feel full.  I am in stage 2 foods which is soups, dairy, yogurts, and such.    After surgery I really never had a problem with water and sipping.  I find it amazing that some have trouble just getting 1oz down.  I am seriously perplexed. I have my first post nutr appt on monday and then thursday with surgeon.  I guess that I should be thankful that I don't have any pain or dumping or nausea.  I just know that I could eat more than I currently am...   IS there a reason or does everyone feel like this at one time.??

Ricky - you're just 9 days post-RNY.  

I wouldn't recommend chasing that fullness feeling.  Over time, you'll need more and more food to achieve that sensation and ultimately could end up with a over-stretched pouch is the last thing you want.

It's also likely that your nerves having fully recovered yet.

And the other thing to bear in mind is that soups, yogurt etc. are slider foods - they're pretty much just running through the pouch.

Thank you to all who responded.   You all are a mountain of information and appreciate all feedback.   It is just that everything that I read or see on the internet and even the doctor tells you to stop eating when you feel full...  Just being cautious, I want to be successful using this 'tool' to getting healthy and having a better quality of life.

Thank you to all who responded.   You all are a mountain of information and appreciate all feedback.   It is just that everything that I read or see on the internet and even the doctor tells you to stop eating when you feel full...  Just being cautious, I want to be successful using this 'tool' to getting healthy and having a better quality of life.

Bit of advice I was given early out and still follow to this day and at 7 1/2 years out and still at a little under goal (122lb clothed @ hospital weigh-in 3 days ago).

Do not rely on any sensation of fullness.  Follow the guidelines you were given - weigh/measure everything you eat - when it's gone, it's gone - go split the atom or something.