tomincolorado

Confused About Sudden Stop of Weight Loss

I am 6 weeks post-op RNY.  For the first 4 weeks, I lost weight at 1-2 pounds per day, and had severe diarrhea.  Two weeks ago, the weight loss and the diarrhea stopped and my weight is actually increasing about 1 pound every 2-3 days.  I also have not had a BM of any type for 10+ days now.  Is this normal?  My surgery was done in Mexico, so I don't have a doctor to guide me in aftercare.  Thanks for any input.

It's normal to have stalls, and it's also very normal for your weight to fluctuate a little.  Make sure you don't stay constipated...do a search and you will find countless suggestions for avoiding that.   

Having said that, make sure you are sticking to your plan and getting close to your protein goals, and not too many carbs.   I don't know what kind of follow up diet you received in Mexico, but there are many sample plans listed on here.   I follow a high protein and low carb diet....greater than 70 grams of protein a day and less than 25 carbs per day.   While I haven't won any awards for speed, I do lose consistently each month   Notice I said month and not day or week...you will figure out what your normal is.   Good luck, and welcome to the forum. 

Edited by princessblog

I would be concerned about not having a bm for 10 days. Is there any place (hospital perhaps) that you could call? I'm not sure about MOM but that is what I take. How about smooth move tea; it's probably easier on your system... I also take 2 chewable fiber tablet found at Walmart and 2 stool softeners a day. Give the tea a try...

Are you tracking your food? Many on here can give you good advice if you'll post what your food intake is in a typical day. Like Princess said, make sure you're getting your protein in. I take 1-2 doses of miralax every day to keep me regular. 10 days is a long time. I think you should take something to get things moving.

There are lots of poop/constipation threads here, many of us have the problem. It's difficult to find a fix, you just have to experiment with the possibilities. To complicate things, something may work for awhile and then stop. Keep searching, and above all, stay hydrated.

As far as weight loss goes, it's not linear. Stay with your program, in your case, you'll have to pick one. I went to Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston and a Google search will give you a copy of the dietary guidelines in pdf format. Many other top rated hospitals also have their guidelines online.

And Thinner Times will help you lots!

I would try some MOM to start but if you don't have a BM some I would call your PCP if you have one.

As for the weight loss, what are you eating? How many calories, how much protein and how many grams of carbs are you getting every day?

oddly enough grapefruit juice works for me. they did tell me I could take a laxative if I was having troubles as well. Like the others commented, what is your diet? We may be able to help if we know what your eating and how much. Make protein and water your first priority and then high protein foods and some fruit. stay away from carbs. potatoes, pasta,rice ect.

hope all works out for you!!

Thanks, everyone, for your wisdom.  I am not folowing any particular diet.  The 'docs' in Mexico just told me to 'eat soup for a month or so' before going back to regular food in small portions.  I will look into a more regimented approach to eating.  Thanks, again.

Sadly the lower your weight goes the slower its going to come off.

As everyone has said, high protein low carb is crucial to continued success.

You might consider a probiotic to help get things moving again in the bathroom area. I am NOT a fan of laxatives and rarely use them. P robiotics and fiber are all I need.