KimR

Closing in on one year.... the s l o w d o w n .....

So I am getting close the the year mark and although the nurse practitioner says my progress is on track, I thought I would be further along at this point.  I know I was a "lightweight" going in to the surgery but I thought the slowdown would not have occurred so early as it did for me.  Don't get me wrong I am extremely happy at a weight I have not been at in over 25 years but I am wondering if my body is starting to say...yeah, done, had enough.  Now normally by now I would start to throw in the towel and give in but because of this great tool I have now  I will continue to progress.  This is where I am going to be totally charged as this is "unchartered" territory for me .  I look forward to it eagerly but the snail's pace is killing me at the same time.

My question to the long termers is when did  the slow down start for you and how long did it take to get the last 20-25 lbs off.  I would be interested to hear what others have experienced.  :)

Everyone is different.  Some say the last 10 are the hardest.  I didn't set a goal until after my 1 year check up.  At that time I was 153.  I kept losing and thought I should set some cutoff point so I choose 140.  I lost another 5. I was 15 months post op when m body decided it was done.  I took that as goal.  Goals are good.  For me it was how i always dieted so I just wanted to do something different.  I trusted my body to take me where it wanted to go.  At one year out, you are not finished unless you want to be.  My weight loss really didn't follow any pattern.  Some months I would lose 4 pounds and the next month 10 doing the same thing.  I would say stick with the basic guideline of protein first, don't drink until at least 30 minutes after you eat, no refined carbs, track your food and move some.  I also have found support to be invaluable.  

Greetings.  

I must say that I at 10 months out, I  have hit the longest stall ever.  I guess I am stabilizing.  I cannot get past 140Lbs.  Although my Dr. and nutritionist are okay with it.  they both agree that i am at the highest of my weight loss.  Meaning that I cannot gain from this point onward.  My surgeon prefers that I get to the 120 mark,  this way I would have a 10-20lbs to gain and lose.  I must admit that I've been naughty.  I haven't been exercising as much mostly because I hate the cold, But I am hopeful that once I jump start my exercise those lbs will melt right off.   

I'm in the same boat as you.  I thought I would never hit 100lbs lost.  I finally did but it's been painfully slow and I still haven't lost 100 since surgery, the 100 is from my start weight pre liquid diet.  I wish beyond belief that I had it to do all over again.  I would have worked hard during the "easy" part instead of just letting the weight fall off on it's own.  Now I'm back in the mindset of what can I do to lose the most weight in the least amount of time.  I plan on seeing a therapist to work through this because the last thing I want to do is fall back into doing diet after diet to lose weight.  It's hard when you're so big and lose 3lbs a week then suddenly you're lucky to lose a pound in a month.  Really hope my body isn't done yet but it seems comfortable in the 160lbs range which is still overweight for me :(  My lowest was 158 which I hit a couple weeks ago.  I went back up to 161 and am now just sitting at 160.8.  Frustrating to say the least. 

I am about 17 months post-0p and still losing;however, it has been very s l o w ! I'm not losing the average 10 pounds a month that I lost shortly after surgery. I didn't start exercising until 3-4 months after surgery....just didn't feel like it. I wasn't ready. Now, I exercise every day. I slowly started to increase my activities: walking the dogs every day, swimming, elliptical, personal trainer, and I even started yoga and tai chi, which I did because I started to develop "anxiety" with my weight loss. My surgeon couldn't understand it because most of his patients have less anxiety as the pounds come off. It seemed to effect me just the opposite. Guess it has something to do with losing all of that "armor".

Anyway, I guess your body will tell you when it's at it's goal. Good luck to you!!!

Thank you for your responses!  Tomorrow is my surgiversary.  I am going to kick up the exercise and try to ramp up the process a bit.  I am extremely grateful for the changes I have experienced this past year.  I am going to keep plugging along and look forward to continued losses. 

Congrats on 1 year.  Amazing the difference a year can make when you are taking care of yourself.  Wishing you continued success. 

I made my 1 yr one April 23rd and I'm sooo not where I thought I would be at this point. I'm happy for my success so far but I've been stalled since 6-7mos post op. I was hoping to be down 100 by now. I'm down 85. So 15 til my goal of 100 and 45lbs to my ultimate goal. It just not seem like it's not going to happen :(. I'm in the gym just about every day but still not getting any more lbs off. Maybe my body is finished but I pray not.

I'm 9 months out and have decided to stop weighing myself. The up two down two thing makes me crazy so I decided once a month weigh in will do!