Tilapia

Lopez413

I have never been a big fan of fishy because of the fishy taste, but yesterday I bought some frozen tilapia filet and have no idea how to cook them. Suggestions please! 

My favorite seafood seasoning is lemon pepper. To me, its strong taste kinda hides the fishyness. The easiest way to cook it is to season it, wrap it in foil, and bake it on 350 for about 15 or 20 min. Be careful not to overcook it. When you break it apart, it should be flaky. As soon as its flaky, its done.

I love using the foil method for tilapia, catfish, salmon - any fish or shrimp.

I don't really have a recipe - I just chop/slice some vegetables (zucchini, summer squash, peppers, scallions, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes,slices beans or snow peas etc. etc.).

Sling the veg in a bowl with some S&P, lemon juice, touch of thyme, oregano, parsley and/or whatever you fancy, a bit of EVOO - pile on top of fish/shrimp, wrap in foil (I leave some headroom above the fish) and bake at 425-450 degrees for 15-20 minutes (until cooked).

Catfish is particularly good with veg and a good sprinkling of Old Bay Seasoning or Blackening Spice.

I broil my fish plain and usually top with some kind of salsa. If it's fresh, it shouldn't be "fishy".

• 2 weeks later...

I like to pan fry in some spray coconut oil or butter with liberal salt, pepper and garlic.  Lemon pepper is a favorite, too.  Really whatever spices you like best will work.  Tilapia is a very light fish and doesn't taste fishy.  Tarragon is amazing on it, or even a light sprinkling of Italian seasoning.    You can also bake it using some butter and seasonings.  

I don't personally wrap Tilapia because it cooks so fast and sometimes foil makes it too wet.  About 15 minutes or less in a preheated 350 oven. I put it in a pan that is sprayed with a spray coconut oil (my favorite, but it can be any spray oil or even butter). Test for doneness after maybe 10 minutes using a fork.  If it flakes easily, it's done.  Don't let it get too dry because dry food tends to be hard to digest.

I like to pan fry in some spray coconut oil or butter with liberal salt, pepper and garlic. Lemon pepper is a favorite, too. Really whatever spices you like best will work. Tilapia is a very light fish and doesn't taste fishy. Tarragon is amazing on it, or even a light sprinkling of Italian seasoning. You can also bake it using some butter and seasonings.

I don't personally wrap Tilapia because it cooks so fast and sometimes foil makes it too wet. About 15 minutes or less in a preheated 350 oven. I put it in a pan that is sprayed with a spray coconut oil (my favorite, but it can be any spray oil or even butter). Test for doneness after maybe 10 minutes using a fork. If it flakes easily, it's done. Don't let it get too dry because dry food tends to be hard to digest.

Don't want to hijack this thread, but I was so excited to see that you posted! I missed you! And your recipes;)

I make a breading out of chopped nuts.. (usually pecans). I chop the nuts REALLY fine. and then I add vanilla protein powder. dip the tilapia in an egg.. then dip it into the nut mixture. then  I pan fry it. I usually use coconut oil. (not sure if that is ok post WLS though... maybe someone else can chime in here). I only use enough oil to moisten the pan... And I fry for a few minutes on each side. The crust is AMAZING!  Good for you, too.. 

I make my own "tartar" sauce for the tilapia.  Greek yogurt, shredded dill pickle, lemon juice and garlic.  

I make a breading out of chopped nuts.. (usually pecans). I chop the nuts REALLY fine. and then I add vanilla protein powder. dip the tilapia in an egg.. then dip it into the nut mixture. then I pan fry it. I usually use coconut oil. (not sure if that is ok post WLS though... maybe someone else can chime in here). I only use enough oil to moisten the pan... And I fry for a few minutes on each side. The crust is AMAZING! Good for you, too..

Coconut oil is very good for anyone, especially us.

Don't want to hijack this thread, but I was so excited to see that you posted! I missed you! And your recipes;)

I'm just popping in here and there. Taking a break. Waiting something out.

Edited by Happy-Camper

i had some cooked in a little olive oil ad season with lemon pepper.  It was really good, moist and did not taste fishy.

• 4 weeks later...

I use Tony's and a little olive oil and pan fry. It is a big change for me. I grew up on deep fried fish at least once a week my whole life. I love seafood cooked every way possible. I am trying to only eat the boiled kinds for the most. My family doesn't care for fish much. So the fish is an lunch item for me.

I have never been a big fan of fishy because of the fishy taste, but yesterday I bought some frozen tilapia filet and have no idea how to cook them. Suggestions please!

I bake it in foil in the oven, 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes depending on the size of the filet.

I put olive oil and garlic on top of the fish before baking to keep it moist.

Be careful and don't over cook otherwise it becomes dry and hard to eat.