Anyone ever backed out at last minute due to Anxiety

I recently was at the hospital, in johnny with IV started and backed out due to me being so anxious about the procedure and anesthesia.  I am scheduled to go back to talk to surgeon about getting something for anxiety ahead of time and rescheduling by gastric bypass.  Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what you did to get through it.   

They offered me anxiety meds as one of the first steps. It definitely helped.

I didn't personally experience this but know of a person in my program that did.  She ended up taking the anxiety meds and had her sleeve done.  She said the meds really helped.

I didn't need anything for my RNY but I had a procedure earlier this week under local anesthesia that freaked me out so I took the one anti-anxiety pill the morning of surgery (prescribed for that procedure) and that made a world of difference.

I didnt have the anxiety issues, but if anyone has any extra meds I live at 1212 Boogie Woogie Ave ...

I didnt have the anxiety issues, but if anyone has any extra meds I live at 1212 Boogie Woogie Ave ...

LOL

The nurse that gave my last class said that when the anesthesiologist comes in, if we tell them we are nervous, they may slip us "a little somethin somethin" but she didn't really specify what. Right now I am fine but once Tuesday rolls around, I may just take them up on that.

I told myself in the or it wasn't too late to get up and run. Next thing I knew I was waking up.

The nurse that gave my last class said that when the anesthesiologist comes in, if we tell them we are nervous, they may slip us "a little somethin somethin" but she didn't really specify what. Right now I am fine but once Tuesday rolls around, I may just take them up on that.

It's versed. Get it.

When I had surgery last Friday, it was the first thing I asked the anesthesiologist. The nurses called it a margarita in a tube. I just call it magical :)

They gave me xanex <--sp? And it helped a lot

Yes, the anxiety meds definitely helped me the morning of. I was having panic attacks while they were doing their prep, especially when my husband couldn't be there with me. As soon as he had to leave to go take our kids to their schools and go to work while I was in surgery (he left work and came back as soon as my surgeon called him after the surgery....he works about 10 minutes from the hospital), I went back into anxiety attack mode. They asked if everything was okay and I burst into tears and told them I was terrified. They asked if I would like something in my IV to help take the edge off and I said yes. It took a few minutes for me to come back down and be resolved to getting it done. I'm glad I did....best thing I have done for myself.

My doctor ordered anxiety meds right before taking me back to the OR because I was extremely upset due to anxiety. Once then push it through my IV I was out. 

Everyone has different reactions to medications.  Versed turns me into a sad, crying drunk.  I'd rather just be tense and anxious. 

I was never so terrified. As they were rolling me into the OR the nurse said it is never too late to say no and leave. I just kept on going tho. No one ever offered me any anti anxiety or best believe I would have jumped at that offer!

And I thought I was anxious. I developed this coping mechanism in which I convinced myself that they were going to find some reason not to do the surgery. I was going to wake up to them telling me "sorry we couldn't do it because of blahblahblah." Somehow my negative thinking helped! ha.

I would ask about an anti anxiety medication. 

Versed is magical...

Once on Versed I hallucinated about going to Disney World, and it was as real as if I'd really been.   Love this stuff!

I didn't have anxiety about my gastric bypass, but I did about my tummy tuck. The nurse asked me in my eyes if I wanted to do this. I said yes, I was just really nervous because if something went wrong, it was all on me...it was my choice to have this...and I was worried about the what ifs. The doctor told her I was one of the most calm people he had ever met (hilarious...I have dx clinical anxiety) and I was fine. I ended up with versed about 20 minutes before the operation and I was singing margaritaville with the surgeon. apparently we have a date to wear skimpy swimsuits and lounge on a beach together this summer...he brings it up at my follow up appointments :)

I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety early last year. I definitely had some worries before I went to the hospital, and when I was lying there with the IV in my hand getting ready to go back for the operation. But when I was lying there, I thought to myself, "this is the best option that I could do for myself, and this is going to get me started on a new road of life, and it's going to make me healthy, it's going to make me look good, and it's going to make me feel good." I was definitely scared for what would happen afterwards, but when I woke up, and my pain was manageable, I had no regrets. I'm two weeks out of my surgery, and I've lost 25 pounds so far. I still have no regrets! You can do it! :) 

I had no anxiety.  Take the meds they will help if you really want to have the surgery.  I don't know why they wouldn't have given you something when you started to panic.