I feel like an idiot!

scarlet-amelia

So... after almost 10 months of preparation, and study.. and asking questions. I thought I had this down!!  And yet.. since surgery, I've felt like a newborn colt who is having trouble standing!  I wonder if my surgeon also performed a lobotomy on me as well.. :) 

It just goes to show.. that all the preparation in the world cannot prepare you for the real life situation of having weight loss surgery. 

So.. here is my latest STUPID question!  

Over a week ago, my surgeon told me that I could go ahead and start my supplements. And he said I do NOT have to crush them. So, I'm following docs orders. 

One of my supplements is Fish oil... lets just say they are BIG pills!!  I took one today, and it really hurt. Felt like it was caught. That was 8 hours ago, and I still feel sore. (could be a mental thing. :) I have visions of me stretching out my stoma.. or ripping apart my little pouch, or other permanent damage!  UGH!! (do any other newbies get freaked out by this stuff????)

Anyway... could I have hurt myself by taking such a big pill?

I just wanted to remind you, I already confessed to being an idiot!!  :)

I think a few of us mentioned to you that there would be things that you couldn't possibly understand until you went through this; and that there was no way to prepare for everything! LOL

You can't stretch your pouch, it doesn't stretch anymore. There can be complications associated with hernias, etc. - but it doesn't stretch anymore. The stretchy part was cut away.

My program suggested only medications/supplements that could be chewed. If that wasn't possible, nothing bigger than a tic-tac. Almost everything can be compounded these days. I use Coromega for my fish oil, and it's a paste, so I can't help with a suggestion of an alternative. Does your surgeon know how big this pill/capsule is? If not, wouldn't hurt to shoot an email and ask before repeating- especially since you're having discomfort.

It is unlikely you have done any harm

I would advise you to wait another week and try again.

Your new pouch might not be ready yet.

If It is a capsule with liquid contents , you can pierce the end with a needle, squeeze out the liquid and mix with a teaspoon of yogurt, swallow and then follow with another teaspoon of yogurt as a taste chaser.

Best...

Edited by Spunkycat

Fish oil gelcaps are huge and worst still, the fishy burp thing was enough to put me off after taking just one.

I posted this a while back:

I had an omega-3 gelcap stuck once - not an experience I want to go through again.  But in looking at alternatives I came across Coromega Omega-3 plus D Squeeze Tropical Orange Smoothie sachets and after doing some research and finding out that emulsified omega-3 is 300% more bio-available than gelcaps - I decided to give them a try and I've never looked back.

This is worth a read - well, the graphs put it in plain English for me!  LOL!  Enhanced absorption of n-3 fatty acids from emulsified compared with encapsulated fish oil.

The tropical orange is my favourite but they have other flavours.  You can get them at most stores like Walmart and Walgreens etc. etc. but good old Vitacost comes through again for me:  http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?NttSR=1&ss=1&ddlCategories=0&ntk=products&N=0&Ntt=coromega

Seriously, 25+ years of obesity did a serious number on my knees but Coromega has kept me off of heavy pain medication and I no longer creak.

Check at VitaminShoppe not long ago they had a Fish Oil supplement that was liquid and fruity. It was really good. I am thinking it was maybe mango flavored. That might work for you if they still sell it. 

Oh, this is awsome!  I now have a few really good options. I wish I could get sample sizes of these to see which one works best... 

Did you feel like it was too big or like the fish oil was hurting your stomach?

If you feel like the oil hurt your stomach I have heard of people freezing their fish oil capsules so that they don't break open until they are further down but I don't know if that even applies to WLS patients!

it was just too big, and I needed too much water to get it down. I think it got stuck then... But, it eventually disolved. I don't think there was any harm done.. but I am definitely not going to try it again... at least not anytime soon. Instead, I'm going to try one of the other options above. 

I use the Coromega liquid packets. I actually LIKE the tropical orange flavor:)

I buy it at Vitamin Shoppe but it looks like it's on sale at Drugstore.com.

so, how do you take those?  just suck them out of the package?  or do you add them to water?

Does it have any other vitamin or mineral benefits, or is it just fish oil? I have been reluctant to take it because of the size. Really don't like the thought of it getting stuck. I will be finding some of the liquid packets that were described.

The Coromega packets I use also have vitamins C, D and E. It does contain stevia, and I try to stay away from sweeteners, but I make an exception because it's such a great product.