2 years & 7 months out of surgery-Fibroid & Kidney Concerns?

PG-NewLife

I am 45 years old and 2 years & 7 months out from gastric bypass surgery. I did not have any complications from the surgery. I lost 100 pounds in the first 7 months. Overall I have done well with the surgery. Meanwhile other concerns have risen with my body and I would like your opinions, recommendations and thoughts.

1.I  developed fibroids and a cyst. The fibroids have caused major concerns. A fibroid is stuck in a position where it is causing excessive bleeding (mainly 14 day periods). Another one has recently made its way down toward the pelvic area. This one sent me to the ER. The shooting pain was immobilizing, but eventually subsided. Upon review of a cat scan and an ultrasound. It appears that my body has started to reject the second fibroid. There is also a third fibroid floating in my uterus. Also there is a cyst sitting on top of my left ovary. My gynecologist has  recommended a hysterectomy. Her reasons include, I am pre-menopausal, I do not plan on having children, and she prefers to deal with everything now instead of doing several less-invasive procedures over a period of time. (Also there is a likelihood of the fibroids coming back with the less-invasive procedures.) What do you think?

2. Upon being in the ER for the fibroid visit several test were done.  A urine test showed some crystals in my urine. That is a red flag for kidney stones. However the cat scan did not show any kidney stones. A kidney ultrasound was ordered. The ultrasound showed a nodule on the upper portion of my left kidney. I am scheduled to meet with an Urologist in  3 weeks. What do you think?

3. If I opt for the hysterectomy I am concerned about weight gain. I have heard several women say they gain weight after their hysterectomy surgery. A friend told me she enjoys the relief she got from her hysterectomy surgery, however she gained a lot of weight especially in the abdomen area. Has anyone here had a hysterectomy after weight loss surgery? If so how did it affect your weight loss?

Your opinions, recommendations and thoughts are welcomed. :(

My rule of thumb is: trust the professional. If the doctor recommends it and has sound reasoning behind the recommendation, then it is likely the best course of action. Before I got to your doctor's recommendation, the first thing I thought was "Sounds like you're looking at a hysterectomy in the not too distant future."

As far as the urologist appointment....I think it's good that you have an appointment, for sure. They're the experts and can help you out. Are you getting enough water through your system? It's my understanding that kidney stones could be caused from poor hydration, causing the kidneys to not be adequately flushed out and the urine going through has particle accumulation. I don't know, I could be talking out of my behind, but that's how I've understood it. I hope it's nothing serious, but better to get checked out than not.

It makes sense that a post-hysterectomy weight gain would happen. It really puts your hormones out of whack and, on many occasions, could put you into menopause. So, the bloating and gain from hormone imbalance sounds normal. I would think that if you were able to maintain your diet as it is right now (great job on your weight loss, by the way!) and maybe bump up your exercise while you are menopausal, that would help. But, the bloat may happen even if you stick to the book. My mother-in-law has been very open about her menopause and I know she is taking a lot of different medications to combat the various issues that she was going through (heart palpitations, hot flashes, blood pressure fluctuations, restless legs, etc), so I would be very careful with that regimen and check to make sure you can take all of that stuff.

I had a hysterectomy 1 year before my wls. I was 28 years old. I had a very quick, easy recovery. It was laproscopic. It was the BEST thing I've ever done! (WLS is a close 2nd:)

As far as weight gain goes, I would get your surgeons opinion. If you decide to have the hysterectomy, you WONT regret it. Good luck:)

1.  I would get 2nd opinion and research other options before making a decision. Some other options are:

a. myomectomy (I had one of these)

b. uterine fibroid embolization aka UFE (I 1st heard of this 10 years ago when Condi Rice had one)

c. acessa 

2. Forming kidney stones is sometimes a result of having bypass surgery. Hopefully dietary changes can help with this.

3. Weight gain around the stomach can happen in menopause. If your ovaries are removed it will put you into menopause.

Here is a site for women who are thinking about or have already had hysterectomies: http://www.hystersisters.com/

Here is a book you might want to check out:

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Guide-Hysterectomy-Lauren-Streicher/dp/1590770579

Thanks for all the great info. I am so glad I signed up with Thinner Times. Everybody is so helpful.
Again, thank you. Send more information if you come across it.

Given the problems you are experiencing I think the possibility of weight gain is far outweighed but the fibroid issues.

I have a friend who kept putting off hysterectomy because she didn't want to deal with menopause - had several procedures and constant pain because of it. When she finally had the hysterectomy her quality of life increased 10 fold.

My insurance company requires a 2nd opinion for all non cancer related hysterectomies .

I myself would at least check out the non surgical options and get a 2 nd live opinion.

I had a Sleeve in 2010. Lost 110lbs. Regained about 40lbs since I was unable to exercise. Total hysterectomy done in 2013. I have steadily lost weight since then. Converted to RNY due to reflux one month ago. Actual weight loss was right at 25lb before this surgery. Weight gain doesn't always follow hysterectomy.

• 6 years later...

I just realized I had an intramural fibroids and am scheduled for a bypass surgery in a few months. My gyn is asking me to go for an embolization.  I don't know which one to do first.  The weigtloss surgery or the fibroid embolization.  My weight is 285lbs 

Your advice is very important 

Obviously, this is a matter that you should discuss with your doctors.  

The crucial issue is how long you should wait between the fibroid embolization (which probably should occur ASAP) and the gastric bypass surgery.  As these two procedures/surgeries do not involve the same areas of the body, the wait time between procedures may not be very long.

We are here to support you.