tomincolorado

How often do you weigh yourself?

I'm 3 weeks post-op RNY, and had massive complications/infections.  I weigh myself several times a day, because the weight is falling from me at a rate I've never seen (33 pounds in 3 weeks).  But is it better to weigh yourself on a weekly schedule?  I've heard it both ways.

Thoughts?

The first few months I had my hubby hide the scale and weighed every other Saturday. I know I would have been on that hummer 10 times a day! Or disappointed at stalls and I didn't need that. Now I weigh just about every day.

Tom how are you doing? We're you able to get any help with the incisions?

i used to weigh everyday when I was losing.  I would weigh in the morning before eating, naked, after a bowel movement.  if it didn't happen before morning coffee then I wouldn't weigh that day.  On stalls I would wait a few days.  I recorded my weight changes so I knew when a stall was expected.  once I stabled out, I started to weigh weekly.  now I weigh maybe once every 2 weeks.  I like no longer being obsessed with the scale but am sad its no longer moving. 

its basically up to you and how often you want to weigh in.  just don let it depress you if you hit a stall. 

You are most likely going to get a plethora of opinions with this question. It is something that comes up quite often around here.

I am of the "I weigh myself everyday" camp. I don't freak out when I hit a stall or if my weight moves up by a pound every once in awhile though. I find it helps to keep me accountable. You will figure out what works for you!

Weighing more than once a week just seems silly to me. All it did to me was make me upset when I knew I wasn't deviating and the scale wasn't reflecting my efforts.

I suppose it would be different if you had to police yourself by checking the scales constantly -- but im not sure that would be very effective during the honeymoon period when you can often cheat and still lose weight.

I wanted to add, it also was a very good motivator for me in the beginning. Getting on the scale and seeing that number go down made it so much easier to keep bad things out of my mouth.

I never weigh more than once a week.  Weight fluctuates too much and doesn't give me anything real to go by regarding my weight loss as a result.  Personally, I say cut down on the madness and weigh no more than once a week.

For the first month, I weighed daily. It was exciting to see the drops. And when it bounced up a bit, I had no worries. I was very confident. My official weigh in day is Tuesday, so I would only do the math of loss for a week from Tuesday to Tuesday. After about a month, I decided to just weigh on Tuesdays. So for a year I weighed once a week officially and logged that weight. Sometimes I would sneak on the scale when I was hopping in the shower...just out of curiosity (like if I had finally gone to the bathroom or something). After a year, I decided to weigh officially once a month. I check in every Tuesday still, but I only record once a month. When I was heavy, I weighed everyday...so the thin me won't be doing that. 

What's better for me, may not be better for you. It's varies greatly around here.

Personally, I weigh every single day, and always have. It works for me., and keeps me motivated and focused.

As of now, the only scales we have at home are not accurate.  Therefore, since my surgery, I've weighed once a week at work.  It keeps me sane.  Once I hit maintenance, I will probably start weighing more often. 

I weigh daily - in the morning. I don't obsess about it, though. I record my weight, BP and blood sugar everyone morning. Weighing daily keeps me accountable. If I go up a pound or two, I don't get excited - unless I have not been eating well. This just keeps me from getting way off track. You'll have to find what works for you, though.

Because of my 35+ year documented history of failed diets (all sabotaged by my obsession with the scales), I chose not to have them in the house until I got into the normal BMI range for my height.

And for me, it was the best thing I could have done for myself because it allowed me to focus on following the programme and exercising regularly.

Interestingly, I rarely get on the scales now - they no longer have a hold on me.

On the average, I weigh everyday.  Sometimes just a couple times a week. Just to make sure I keep myself in check.

Durring my weight loss phrase I weighed just about every day.  I think more than once does not help as there as to many fluctuations that can occur during the day.  Since you said you had complications and have concerns that you are losing too fast,  then speak with your surgeon.  I have found that I do better weighing once a week now. I get angry with the scale or myself if I see even a 1/2 pound fluctuation for no reason.  So I use it to punish myself.  I find I am more relaxed emotionally when not tied to the scale, but I am more than 2 1/2 years out.  I know when I am doing well and am now depending less on the scale to validate that. 

I think you should do what you are most comfortable with. I weigh every day but that's just me. I lose in stair steps so I like writing it down and I have gotten pretty good a predicting when I will lose 1-3 pounds and then maintain for a week before losing more. I think I will go to weekly once I'm on maintenance but who knows. Right now I enjoy getting up in the morning and getting on the scale to see where I am. In the past I would avoid weighing myself for months on end as I didn't want to know I was gaining weight. I don't want to fall into the same habit this time. What works for me may not work for someone else. Whatever you decide to do you can't get it wrong. Best wishes for your continued loss.

I weigh every morning. Works for me

I'm an every day kinda girl.   Wake up, go potty, get on the scale.   I never take it to heart, really.  I just like having that security, I guess.

Once every 2 months or so

When in active losing I weighed 2 x week.

Now in maintenance, I weigh daily for accountability.

When I've been most successful at losing weight I weighed daily. I wasn't emotional about it at all, though. As an analytical person, I'm in the camp of more data is better, and the blips don't brother me a bit. Plus you get used to the rhythms of your own body by tracking and watching.

On the other hand, where I am now (pre surgical consult), I couldn't care less about the scale. What matters to me is being able to tie my shoes, clean myself thoroughly, get up off the floor, and continue being able to navigate stairs. Down the road it will be progressing from walking to running and then finally to be able to run 3.25 miles per day again. These are the things that matter.

The scale just gives you one number. There are so many more meaningful ways to measure progress.

even three years out I weigh every day, a couple of times a day.  I find that if I don't stay on top of it, it tends to creep back.

It depends on how you react to weighing. if seeing a stall or a gain is going to upset you, you shouldn't weigh every day. if you go into it knowing that your weight is going to fluctuate, weigh every day.

Once a week, same day, no excuses. Keeps my obsession down.

I've always been a once-a-week girl.  Little fluctuations bug the hell out of me.  

Right now, it's every fortnight or less - whenever I see a health professional, I weigh on my own scale that morning so I can accurately report the change in my weight since the previous appointment.  I'm fighting like a trooper to try to gain weight or at least maintain, I'm failing, and watching myself waste away in the mirror is bad enough without putting a number on it.  And now I have massive oedema which seems to come and go, so the number doesn't represent my muscle or fat mass at all. 

But yeah, once a week worked for me.  When I get stable again, I'll get straight back on it, I'm a creature of habit and my Thursday mornings feel kind of empty without updating my ticker and MFP!

Studies have shown that once a week is enough. Fluctuations in hydration, bowel movements, and menses in women can make the scale vary greatly day to day.